Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 19, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #11,641 of 22,475
I recall Rob posting something back when the 2Cute was current about how it was possible to have better isolation on the USB with the desktop versions of his DACs than the portables like the Hugo. This correlates with both our experiences that the Hugo 2 (and Mojo) benefit from a good transport/source.

How are you connecting your Hugo 2? If you see the above discussion, if you're connecting directly to a computer with a noisy USB output, that could be the problem.

I'm connecting to the H2 via optical from the computer, and using Swinsian. Is that the reason for the painful highs? Is there a way to lower it while still keeping the H2 on the Utopia? (besides eq, I mean)

Mar 19, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #11,642 of 22,475
Theres no harm in trying the opposite cable (in your case trying a usb cable). I've used optical out of the H2 with no problem but I was using my onkyo as a transport or using my mind 180 as input. I've recently tried to use usb (for convenience in a mobile desktop environment) and it worked fine as well. What Headhphones or IEM's are you using?

Mar 19, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #11,643 of 22,475
I would be very interested in hearing your impressions of the Clear on the Hugo 2. I'm debating selling the Utopia and getting the Clear instead. I really enjoyed the Elear on the H2, but like others, I listen to a lot of female vocals, and female vocals seem to me to be a little deeper than they're supposed to be on the Elear. Violins sound closer to violas to me too. Which, I could get used to, I guess, and the bass "energy" really is fun (without being muddy like some of my other slightly bassier headphones). The Utopias on the H2 really make me wince with, say, Lindsay Stirling, Vanessa Mae, and sometimes vocals too, like Celtic Woman. The Hugo 2's green filter and red filter haven't helped much as the wince-worthiness (at least to my ears) is too much to be managed by those filters. I'm pretty sure that I need to sell those. I can also EQ it too, but maybe Swinsian's eq isn't so good, or I'm just not doing it right (it just sounds lower, but forced lower, I dunno, can't explain it right). But with multiple sources, I can't eq them all and have it work right.

Given my love for the H2, and searching for a better pairing with it, I'm seriously considering the Clear, but would be grateful for any impressions you might have.

This is a stupid question, but you've tried the different filters the Hugo 2 offers, yea?

Mar 19, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #11,645 of 22,475
I'm connecting to the H2 via optical from the computer, and using Swinsian. Is that the reason for the painful highs? Is there a way to lower it while still keeping the H2 on the Utopia? (besides eq, I mean)

maybe try another optical cable. I did have this issue having harsh highs. I thought it could be also the quality of the optical cable

Mar 19, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #11,646 of 22,475
10085017_thumb.jpg

Hello guys, thoroughly enjoying my Hugo 2 I recently purchased. Here's an interesting combination that works together quite well (Stax Sigma E-Stat)

Had a few questions for you seasoned users;
1) Where do I purchase a TS - RCA cable for the coax input? Any decent, affordable, cables out there for this connection?
2) Which input do you prefer most? Seems searches are saying coax sounds best?
3) Does using the Hugo's USB vs say a gen older (or slightly inferior) source via optical or coax make a difference?
- Does the Hugo's tech make it so that the incoming doesn't count so much on the timing, crystals, etc? (aside from having to be RFI free)

Cheers! This little device is quite the wonder. Using a set of KEF M500 and Sony XBA-Z5 out of the HP out, sounds absolutely stunning. I'm currently using an inexpensive MICCA MiniToslink to Toslink adapter, sounds decent as is but is there more? The ultimate audiophile question.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #11,648 of 22,475
10085017_thumb.jpg

Hello guys, thoroughly enjoying my Hugo 2 I recently purchased. Here's an interesting combination that works together quite well (Stax Sigma E-Stat)

Had a few questions for you seasoned users;
1) Where do I purchase a TS - RCA cable for the coax input?
2) Any affordable and decent 3.5mm to optical cables?
3) Which input do you prefer most? Seems searches are saying coax sounds best?
4) Does using the Hugo's USB vs say a gen older (or slightly inferior) source via optical or coax make a difference?
- Does the Hugo's tech make it so that the incoming doesn't count so much on the timing, crystals, etc? (aside from having to be RFI free)

Cheers! This little device is quite the wonder. Using a set of KEF M500 and Sony XBA-Z5 out of the HP out, sounds absolutely stunning.

I can't answer 1) but I can answer the others:

2) In my opinion, just buy the best glass fibre optical cable you can afford and simply add a mini adapter on the end of it.

I use QED Reference Optical Quartz optical cables
http://www.qed.co.uk/hdmi_digital/o...erence_optical_quartz_digital_audio_cable.htm

With an AudioQuest Optical TOSLINK to Mini Adapter
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audioquest...pID=418EII5bx3L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Works well with my Apple AirPort Express and MacBook Pro which both use optical TOSLINK mini connections.

3) Depends what file quality you want to play. As Rob points out and as many people know, with a DAC that's immune to jitter - optical will always be the best as it's immune from interference and electrical bottlenecks. Hugo 2, like most Chord DACs are inately immune from jitter. So for 44.1KHz sample rate music to 192KHz, optical is your best bet. Coaxial can be just as excellent with the right quality cable, but that's a topic for another time. USB is the only choice for DXD/DSD files and can also be excellent, but has a lot more variables between equipment in terms of performance - from the computers PSU, to interference, to USB impedance etc.

4) As explained above, USB has more variables to consider that may affect performance. Many people use USB conditioners/hubs to get past them all. I would say if you use a MacBook Pro when not plugged into the wall you closely approach the performance of a good USB conditioner. Battery power means minimal noise and Apple's aluminium casing is naturally resistant to interference. Couple that with a high-quality USB cable playing bit-perfect from whatever program you use and you're good to go!

I personally use a QED Reference USB cable. It's very well shielded and impedance matched to the USB spec.

http://www.qed.co.uk/hdmi-and-digital/digital-data/reference-usb-a-b-micro.htm

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #11,649 of 22,475
I use QED Reference Optical Quartz optical cables
http://www.qed.co.uk/hdmi_digital/o...erence_optical_quartz_digital_audio_cable.htm

I personally use a QED Reference USB cable. It's very well shielded and impedance matched to the USB spec.

http://www.qed.co.uk/hdmi-and-digital/digital-data/reference-usb-a-b-micro.htm

Appreciate the info input and the links, looks like QED now makes a MiniToslink to Toslink, bypassing the need for an adapter.
http://www.qed.co.uk/hdmi_digital/o...tical_digital_audio_toslink-mini_toslink.html
Unfortunately it looks like they're strictly UK...so unless you're trying to do a colonizer a favor... by the way, what do these run?
I see that Lifatec makes a glass MiniToslink to toslink as well. Not sure if the Moon Audio version is glass, they don't state glass on their page, I presume it's plastic.

Seems like for the Hugo2 which processes the digital audio, TOSLINK may be the best way due to it's isolation properties between devices. I suppose the reading stating that coax is better than optical in 90% of the cases MAY not be valid for the Hugo 2. (Don't want to start a interconnect feud) I suppose this is why Chord supplied the optical cables but not coax, maybe also because of the different connections for the coaxial as well but could be a subtle tip.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #11,650 of 22,475
Appreciate the info input and the links, looks like QED now makes a MiniToslink to Toslink, bypassing the need for an adapter.
http://www.qed.co.uk/hdmi_digital/o...tical_digital_audio_toslink-mini_toslink.html
Unfortunately it looks like they're strictly UK...so unless you're trying to do a colonizer a favor... by the way, what do these run?
I see that Lifatec makes a glass MiniToslink to toslink as well. Not sure if the Moon Audio version is glass, they don't state glass on their page, I presume it's plastic.

Seems like for the Hugo2 which processes the digital audio, TOSLINK may be the best way due to it's isolation properties between devices. I suppose the reading stating that coax is better than optical in 90% of the cases MAY not be valid for the Hugo 2. (Don't want to start a interconnect feud) I suppose this is why Chord supplied the optical cables but not coax, maybe also because of the different connections for the coaxial as well but could be a subtle tip.

Yes, they do. I simply use an adapter as I bought the Reference cables before I bought my Apple equipment.

You are also correct on the second paragraph. The coax vs optical debate has been going on since the first consumer DACs were released, decades ago. While in the 21st century, some DACs still have performance issues relating to jitter. If you're lucky enough (or an intelligent buyer) to have a DAC that measures immune to jitter with S/PDIF inputs, optical is superior. Any difference in sound between coax and optical with a jitter immune DAC, means the coax cable is picking up noise which is a consequence of poor cable design.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #11,651 of 22,475

For TOSLink cables I recommend Lifatec’s glass fiber TOSLink cables.

They make the standard to mini TOSlink cable you’re looking (so no need for an adapter) and shipped from the US to me (in Australia) so I assume they ship worldwide.

There’s a lot of positive comments around about them too.

I’ve tried Analysis Plus’s medical grade plastic fiber too and it was good and surprisingly didn’t cost me an arm and a leg, compared with some of the mega price cables out there.

Mar 19, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #11,652 of 22,475
Can probably chalk this up as "my imagination" or "I'm just getting used to the sound"

But, if I'm not mistaken, the Utopia on the H2 connected to the Wyrd to the iMac to Swinsian.... Sounding better. Lindsey Stirling's high violin notes and Celtic Woman's high notes are not causing me to wince. Only difference is the Wyrd. Huh....

It's irritating that my brain's interpretation also changes over time....Makes it harder to really judge what's going on, but, since it sounds better to me now, guess it's not really worth worrying about. Of course, the sound of the Elear is fading into memory and I'm probably mis-remembering the sound of the Elear too now.

Either way, I guess the Jot will move to another room, and hope that it sounds good without the Wyrd off an iPad.

Mar 19, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #11,653 of 22,475
I’ve been listening to a highly “pimped out” USB source with my Hugo2. My microRendu with ethernet isolated by fibre optics and powered by battery - so completely off the grid and ultra low noise USB audio output. As you would imagine it sounds great . It’s a warmer, smoother sound than my mains powered Macbook - I can’t be bothered unplugging my Macbook AND powered USB hub from mains power, plus my 13” Macbook is connected to a large mains powered LED monitor at all times at home.

But every few weeks I switch back to TOSlink and I’m always amazed at how dangerously great TOSlink is. By dangerous I mean dangerous to my ears because there’s a strange thing where I’m able to crank the volume louder but have LESS ear/brain fatigue than with USB. Not that I noticed ANY listening fatigue with my microRendu at all but for whatever reason it’s an easier listen for my ear/brain system when I switch to TOSlink. Again, I only notice when I switch to TOSlink - I’m never complaining about listening fatigue when listening with my microrendu.

At some point I’ll learn from my own lessons and just stick to TOSlink for good.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #11,654 of 22,475
Mar 19, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #11,655 of 22,475

I had the same thing going from my computer to the Hugo 2 using a cheap Sony optical cable, so I'd recommend trying USB. I agree with the comments above about using a high-quality optical cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back