Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 21, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #11,101 of 22,537
Just experiencing with Omega speakers for the first time. As you can see they are connected directly to Hugo 2 and the volume is on blue and is plenty for near field listening. Very transparent sound, great depth and the instrument separation is incredible for single 8 inch speaker.
I am using Qed original performance cable for who is interested.
Looking forward to more changes in sound after 150 + hours as the speakers settle in. As i find out a subwoofer is not needed for my listening situation.
Give Omega speakers a try if you can and own a Hugo 2 or Dave, you will not be disappointed.
So far I am pleased with the sound and is incredible once again what Hugo 2 can do on his own.
Very versatile and worth every penny.

Congratulations! It is absolutely amazing to hear that kind of sound and presence coming from a tiny box like the Hugo2. The combination of Chord DACs and high efficiency single driver speakers is really special, and well worth experiencing just to see how distinct and unique it is. It really points the way to what will someday be possible when you have some future combination of digital amp + digital cross over (one amp for each transducer). Amazing what has been hiding in those recordings all along.

Feb 21, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #11,102 of 22,537
Until recently, I really didn't listen to live recordings. Just didn't find them enjoyable because I prefer the clean, controlled sound separation, the purity of studio recordings.

Nevertheless, my 100+ track "audiotester" playlist (almost a decade old now, evolved over the years) always contains some live recordings from different music genres as part of my test of new gear.
Though not an audiophile by any means, and with limited gear, I use it pretty religiously, even to test cheap gear.

Multiple better headphones over the years didn't change that view.
The Jot didn't change that view.
The Mojo didn't change that view.

The Hugo 2 has made me like live recordings. A lot. Enough to chase down every live track I can find in my dusty library, whether classical, rock, jazz, whatever.

I can't pinpoint why that is, but don't really care much either. Creating whole new playlists now (^-^)

So, thanks Chord.

This was exactly my experience with BluDave. For years, I have steered clear of my live albums but am finding that many of them sound superb again with BluDave - better even than I recall them as vinyl LP’s. I also find that many of my older albums - i.e. recorded before the loudness wars kicked in - which tended to sound a bit flat, dull and lifeless with CD and digital gear in the past also sound great with BluDave. I did go through a phase years back where I bought CD’s of albums that I had owned originally as a vinyl LP and I was very often disappointed, so it is a real joy to rediscover them all again. The only downside is that many newer, more modern recordings can be exposed for exactly what they are - but well recorded ones will always sound great.

I have just ordered a Hugo 2 which is why I am suddenly loitering around here!

Feb 21, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #11,103 of 22,537
Congratulations! It is absolutely amazing to hear that kind of sound and presence coming from a tiny box like the Hugo2. The combination of Chord DACs and high efficiency single driver speakers is really special, and well worth experiencing just to see how distinct and unique it is. It really points the way to what will someday be possible when you have some future combination of digital amp + digital cross over (one amp for each transducer). Amazing what has been hiding in those recordings all along.
Thank you Ray,

This amazing listening experience wouldn't be possible for me if it wasn't you introducing the Omega speakers.
I really enjoy them. Also speaker position is very critical for best sound performance.
I was afraid that Hugo 2 may not play loud enough, but is okay, actually is more then i need with plenty of depth.
Unfortunately i cannot test the optical out of my TV, i get lots interference noice so it may be a faulty cable.
But laptop USB is fantastic direct to Hugo 2. I am using Foobar 2000 as is free.

Feb 21, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #11,104 of 22,537
This was exactly my experience with BluDave. For years, I have steered clear of my live albums but am finding that many of them sound superb again with BluDave - better even than I recall them as vinyl LP’s. I also find that many of my older albums - i.e. recorded before the loudness wars kicked in - which tended to sound a bit flat, dull and lifeless with CD and digital gear in the past also sound great with BluDave. I did go through a phase years back where I bought CD’s of albums that I had owned originally as a vinyl LP and I was very often disappointed, so it is a real joy to rediscover them all again. The only downside is that many newer, more modern recordings can be exposed for exactly what they are - but well recorded ones will always sound great.

I have just ordered a Hugo 2 which is why I am suddenly loitering around here!

A bludave owner? I can only imagine what live recordings sound like from such a setup. Must be incredibly life like.

Feb 21, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #11,105 of 22,537
A bludave owner? I can only imagine what live recordings sound like from such a setup. Must be incredibly life like.

Ha, yes, pretty damn good, but my Mojo gets a lot of use as well. I am currently listening to MojoPoly and that sounds really good using Roon, Crossfeed and EQ. In fact, I never thought I’d ever get a Hugo, but the MojoPoly combo is so good, it has pushed me into it. I expect that a Hugo 2Go combo should be really a very good, multi purpose solution.

Regarding live recordings, with good ones it is like being there. If I play a live recording of an artist that I have seen live and close my eyes, I can actually visualise being in the audience. It may be my fertile imagination, but I can even see the lights and smoke - but Hugo is very good as well from what I have heard of it.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #11,106 of 22,537
Just experiencing with Omega speakers for the first time. As you can see they are connected directly to Hugo 2 and the volume is on blue and is plenty for near field listening. Very transparent sound, great depth and the instrument separation is incredible for single 8 inch speaker.
Looking forward to more changes in sound after 150 + hours as the speakers settle in. As i find out a subwoofer is not needed for my listening situation.
Give Omega speakers a try if you can and own a Hugo 2 or Dave, you will not be disappointed.
So far I am pleased with the sound and is incredible once again what Hugo 2 can do on his own.

Just a little confused. Are they fully constructed with cabinets, or do you just get the drivers and have to DIY them? Not great at DIYing.

Feb 21, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #11,109 of 22,537
Just a little confused. Are they fully constructed with cabinets, or do you just get the drivers and have to DIY them? Not great at DIYing.

Fully constructed cabinets:

https://omegaloudspeakers.com

I have the Super Alnico Monitors, which has the same driver and same sound signature as the Compact Alnico Monitors:

https://omegaloudspeakers.com/colle...ucts/super-alnico-monitor?variant=32172390412

Looks like @musicday has one of the 8" XRS models (which I haven't heard, but great to hear it is working well!):

https://omegaloudspeakers.com/collections/tower-speakers/products/junior-8xrs?variant=38555244684

Louis (owner/builder of the speakers) is an absolutely fantastic guy. He custom builds each speaker, so can easily recommend and make changes to whatever makes sense for you.

Feb 21, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #11,111 of 22,537

I have exactly the same speakers. Amazing performance for the price and an easy load to H2 with 98db sensitivity at 8Ohm.

Feb 21, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #11,112 of 22,537
Fully constructed cabinets:

https://omegaloudspeakers.com

I have the Super Alnico Monitors, which has the same driver and same sound signature as the Compact Alnico Monitors:

https://omegaloudspeakers.com/colle...ucts/super-alnico-monitor?variant=32172390412

Looks like @musicday has one of the 8" XRS models (which I haven't heard, but great to hear it is working well!):

https://omegaloudspeakers.com/collections/tower-speakers/products/junior-8xrs?variant=38555244684

Louis (owner/builder of the speakers) is an absolutely fantastic guy. He custom builds each speaker, so can easily recommend and make changes to whatever makes sense for you.
Thankks @raydude. I almost DIY'ed inside with worry.

Feb 21, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #11,114 of 22,537
Fully hand assembled, proudly made in America by one person. Waiting time is 4-6 weeks after placing your order. Really worth it if you ask me. The sound way more expensive than they actually cost.
Level 1 finish is basic wood and level 2 is exotic wood like mine Macassar ebony.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #11,115 of 22,537
I have exactly the same speakers. Amazing performance for the price and an easy load to H2 with 98db sensitivity at 8Ohm.
How many hours have you got on your Juniors? I am really impressed with the sound even when used for the first time with Hugo 2.
Sorry I have the Super 8XRS, but have had them for about 5 months and they started singing in 3-4 days. One tip, the thicker the gauge on your speaker wires, you will get a bigger and deeper bass especially with the H2 with its 1watt output. No need for audiophile cables just any thick copper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back