Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 20, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #11,072 of 22,516
upload_2018-2-20_10-20-6.png

At bottom right, "Eject Hugo2" shows up .....

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #11,073 of 22,516
I primarily run iPhone—>CCK—>Hugo 2 which gives quite the noticeable amount of siblance in the upper treble range. When running H2 out of my laptop’s USB the siblance is much less and actually sounds more like a slight grain to the upper treble which is still distracting on a lot of songs. My questions are..for those of you who use DAPs with optical output, does it sound smoother in the highs vs. usb? Is there any difference in SQ at all vs. iPhone/CCK? Will it fix my treble siblance/grain issue? Cuz if so I’ll buy one.

Feb 20, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #11,074 of 22,516
Thanks for the reply, I was thinking that my question was too obscure for anyone to show any interest.

All my iOS devices show as red, so 44.1, when using Apple's native music player. When using Onkyo HF, it shows bit perfect, so green for 96, white for DSF files.

It's really only Apple's native music player that has distortion problems, and only with those two songs so far. My other audio test songs have no distortion, and of course, I haven't tested my full library yet so not sure if there are any others.

If it is not bit-perfect, then iOS is re-sampling the files, which you don't want. Best to use Onkyo HF Player for playback.

I primarily run iPhone—>CCK—>Hugo 2 which gives quite the noticeable amount of siblance in the upper treble range. When running H2 out of my laptop’s USB the siblance is much less and actually sounds more like a slight grain to the upper treble which is still distracting on a lot of songs. My questions are..for those of you who use DAPs with optical output, does it sound smoother in the highs vs. usb? Is there any difference in SQ at all vs. iPhone/CCK? Will it fix my treble siblance/grain issue? Cuz if so I’ll buy one.

The problem is either one of two things: Re-sampling (see my answer to the previous question) or noise from your iPhone getting into the Hugo 2, which comes out as harshness to the sound.

Feb 20, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #11,077 of 22,516
The AK70 Mk2 also supports USB audio digital out that's what it says on the astell and Kern site,I spoke to Nintronics and they think I just need a usb micro b to micro b

Seen that the AK70 uses AK Connect to access a NAS drive. So am I right in thinking that you can leave AK70 connected to main hifi system via Hugo 2, and use it as a music server, remotely controlled by it’s iPhone/iPad App? A smaller Aries Mini!

Feb 20, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #11,078 of 22,516
was under the impression that from W7 up, you didn't need to worry about safely removing hardware. Is that wrong?

Not correct, I'm using W10 and need to safely remove both my QP2R DAP & its micro SD card separately however my Hugo 2 doesn't appear as an option to safely remove it. I safely remove tablets & smartphones on W10.

Spotify Free: listening to Loma's debut album, slow sad folk, lovely female vocalist.

Feb 20, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #11,079 of 22,516
Not correct, I'm using W10 and need to safely remove both my QP2R DAP & its micro SD card separately however my Hugo 2 doesn't appear as an option to safely remove it. I safely remove tablets & smartphones on W10.

Spotify Free: listening to Loma's debut album, slow sad folk, lovely female vocalist.
Thanks. I usually turn off my QP1 and remove it. Better try the other way, I guess.

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #11,080 of 22,516
Seen that the AK70 uses AK Connect to access a NAS drive. So am I right in thinking that you can leave AK70 connected to main hifi system via Hugo 2, and use it as a music server, remotely controlled by it’s iPhone/iPad App? A smaller Aries Mini!

I thought the AK70 was compatible with Mojo, and therefor Hugo 2. Someone exceptionally kindly posted a list of the players that work with the Mojo. It was in the Mojo thread, and might be linked in the third post. (I think some stuff got moved to fourth post too.) Also I think that list was copied into the Hugo 2 thread so all should be good.

You'll have to do a search.

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #11,081 of 22,516
I thought the AK70 was compatible with Mojo, and therefor Hugo 2. Someone exceptionally kindly posted a list of the players that work with the Mojo. It was in the Mojo thread, and might be linked in the third post. (I think some stuff got moved to fourth post too.) Also I think that list was copied into the Hugo 2 thread so all should be good.

I was told the ak70 mk 2 can connect to Hugo 2 through the USB connection,also the ak connect app is used on the phone Android or iOS to act like a remote control save having to get up and down to change tracks,great idea.I also downloaded the astell and Kern manual and it says the same

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #11,082 of 22,516

I know AK70 is compatible with Hugo2, same as every other DAP with a digital output, I have three DAPs which I use with my Mojo, H1 and H2! Just picturing Paul’s usage with a phone remote App and surmising that remote could also operate NAS playback with Twonky server using AK Connect. Cheers anyway.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #11,083 of 22,516
I know AK70 is compatible with Hugo2, same as every other DAP with a digital output, I have three DAPs which I use with my Mojo, H1 and H2! Just picturing Paul’s usage with a phone remote App and surmising that remote could also operate NAS playback with Twonky server using AK Connect. Cheers anyway.

Sorry. Thank you for being gracious. I don't know what I have done. I thought I was replying to someone asking if the AK70 works with Hugo 2. I either misread, or replied to the wrong person. Or put an answer in this thread that I meant for another. I don't know. Just very tired out right now.

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #11,084 of 22,516
Sorry. Thank you for being gracious. I don't know what I have done. I thought I was replying to someone asking if the AK70 works with Hugo 2. I either misread, or replied to the wrong person. Or put an answer in this thread that I meant for another. I don't know. Just very tired out right now.

No need to be sorry when trying to help people, that’s what makes a good community and a good thread here. Cheers.

Feb 20, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #11,085 of 22,516
Could it be there is something either wrong with my drivers or the unit itself? I keep getting very slight pops when starting a song or or skipping a bit ahead, like its not properly loaded in or something after a few second they disappear and even then they tend to reappear through the song whether its with ASIO or not doesn't matter, the only one that seems to handle it better in foobar2k is WASAPI (Event) which performs without pops throughout. Sample rate and bit rate doesn't matter either, it's really puzzling since my other amps/dacs don't have problems with USB.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back