Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 31, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #10,591 of 22,537
o my Mrs got a loan so I could get the Chord Hugo 2,what an amazing woman,a keeper

Try to love and appreciate your wife every day, very sorry to hear you lost your two cats and your dad. We lost our lovely tortoiseshell cat Rosie a year ago, we held her as she passed away after the injection, very upsetting indeed, your mentioning your cats has brought it back.

Your new Hugo 2 will defo cheer you up :laughing:

Jan 31, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #10,592 of 22,537
with the addition of an amp, namely my Pathos Aurium.

LOL, I have a loaner Pathos InPol with optional ESS Sabre 9018 DAC sitting in my study! Never tried it with my Hugo 2 as I bought Utopias (partly to avoid the need for a separate headphone amp but also for QP2R listening). The Pathos InPol is a powerhouse of a headphone amplifier, I'd buy one if I used LCD-4's or Susvara's and then pair it with a Dave. That combo would be brilliant together imho

Jan 31, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #10,593 of 22,537
My first reaction to reading paul2qute reply was that I am sure people have read enough about my posting on adding another amp, as I really have said enough.

But then I thought - have I posted about all the ways that bloom, or the perception of added weight can be added to an amplifier? This would give the illusion that Chord amps are relatively underpowered (when of course they aren't). And I don't think I have posted about all the ways of how to artificially add to the perception of weight.
Very interesting explanation about distortions, thank you. One thing I can not understand - Chord Dave is almost two times more powerful than Hugo 2 (1,4W at 33Ohm vs. 0,74W at 32Ohm). What it means? Hugo is underpowered, or Dave is overpowered? Or extra power could be useful and external amp with a Hugo could be reasonable? Or there is another explanation?

Jan 31, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #10,595 of 22,537
I just saw this comment on the bottom https://www.headphone-earphone.reviews/2018/01/12/chord-2go-hugo-2/ where he says "hugo 3 this year"

Does anyone know if the Hugo 2 still works if the battery is dead when you keep it plugged in? The only thing I'm worried about is the battery since they don't last forever and aparently they can't be changed manually. I plan to use the Hugo 2 90% stationary always plugged in.

Jan 31, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #10,596 of 22,537
3.5 years hugo 1 battery a-ok

Jan 31, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #10,597 of 22,537
Just to tell you that I got the Ifi audio groundhog and the problem is solved!
No more humm! The problem was on mac mini.
Groundhog is really very efective in solving this type of problems.
Thank you very much for your help!
iFi Audio Groundhog:
I had some ground noise "humm" in my chain. ( Hugo 2 & lcd i4 )
Thanks to the groundhog..... humming noise is gone.
Kudos to @iFi audio
Thanks @KMann

upload_2018-1-31_19-36-35.png

Hugo 2 + lcd i4 + groundhog connected to RCA out.

upload_2018-1-31_19-37-14.png

ifi audio groundhog

upload_2018-1-31_19-37-40.png

connected to macbook pro (charging on) via usb

upload_2018-1-31_19-37-57.png

connected to macbook pro ( charging on ) via 3.5 mm

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-31_19-36-57.png
    upload_2018-1-31_19-36-57.png
    206.7 KB · Views: 0
Jan 31, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #10,598 of 22,537
Very interesting explanation about distortions, thank you. One thing I can not understand - Chord Dave is almost two times more powerful than Hugo 2 (1,4W at 33Ohm vs. 0,74W at 32Ohm). What it means? Hugo is underpowered, or Dave is overpowered? Or extra power could be useful and external amp with a Hugo could be reasonable? Or there is another explanation?

Hugo 2 is limited to the 8.2v battery voltage - Dave is not voltage limited by a battery.
Pretty much all of the posts I have seen where amps are used are not because of power delivery from Hugo 2 or Dave. If Hugo 2 had 20W output some people would still be connecting external headphone amps....

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #10,599 of 22,537
Regarding albums that are very dynamically compressed I've found that the Hugo 2 makes them more palatable than lesser DACs I've used. I expected that opposite, but it hasn't been the case for me as I've upgraded. I think it's not as fatiguing because it separates everything out more. Even though it's still not great that each part of the track is about the same volume, it gives each aspect more room to breathe.

This has been one of the more pleasant benefits of having the Chord kit: wonderful albums that weren't so wonderfully captured just open up, and become that much more real. The kit can't recreate something that isn't there obviously, but whatever is hiding in there can be recovered and presented as well as it possibly can be.

A favorite example for me that I've mentioned before here is Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan's "Shamas-Ud-Doha Bader-Ud-Doja". Incredible transcendent performance by one of the historical greats, captured in a pretty "eh" recording that I've always had a love-hate relationship with. My my detailed notes last fall of Mojo vs Hugo2 vs DAVE, I wrote

With Mojo, claps are almost physical, drums not even close, voices are bad recordings; With Hugo2 drums are tangible (finally) and voices are people (and together something larger...I'm hearing hints of the angels); With DAVE, I hear the room and stage (drums right there as are people clapping); Passages overwhelm me with emotion (the angels are here); There is more in this recording, I know it. Can't wait to hear it and be a part of it​

When I got my Blu2, this was the first track I fired up through my Omega SAMs, and it completely overwhelmed me. Ustad Ali Khan was in my living room. It was one of the joyful musical experiences I've ever had.

The amazing thing for me is how it is possible to continue to elevate and reveal emotional truths that have been hidden in the plastic and bits for so so long. Last week I had the pleasure to spend ~6 hours auditioning the Voxativ 9.87's (another high efficiency wide band speaker, like the Omegas) driven directly from BluDAVE (103dB efficiency, so Hugo2's would be able to drive them direct as well...alas, I had to run back to the airport and wasn't able to run BluHugo2 into these beauties). There was much that was stunning in that session (to say the least), but this particular track was particularly stunning: any remanent of "poor recording" was gone. Any effort that was required to reach out and make the emotional connection to the performance was gone: the connection was simply and plainly and matter of factly there, effortless and at a level I hadn't experienced before. Incredible.

Key lesson? As the transducer gets faster and cleaner and more responsive, the magic of the Chord stack just keeps going up and up and up. I can't wait for matching innovation on the analog capture transducer (eg, microphone) and Rob's Davina analog to digital converter. If mScaler + ultra fast/efficient single driver can create this sort of emotional landscape from decidedly "eh" recordings, I can't wait to hear what it is able to do with a near perfect digital recording from Davina.

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #10,600 of 22,537
I recently made a trip to my dealer after the batteries on my Hugo 1 died (ended up replacing them myself, but that's another story).

It provided the perfect excuse to demo Hugo 2. Now, being someone who doesn't have a particularly subtle ear, ( I can't, for example, detect the difference between Optical and USB on my Hugo 1, don't get all the fuss about galvanic isolation etc.) I was dubious about being able to notice the improvements after some people reported that it's not much better. How wrong I was! I don't know the correct terminology, but everything had noticeably better focus. What struck me immediately was when listening to notes played in rapid succession, it's much easier to distinguish one individual note or chord from the next.
So, in my very humble opinion, it's a significant improvement over Hugo 1. However, having looked at the cost of upgrading (about 80% of what I paid for my old Hugo)...............I'm going to wait and see what the next TT sounds like! :grinning:

I still love my old one and it's still capable of moving me to tears when the music and the mood are just right.

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #10,601 of 22,537
I think that if anyone prefers the sound of an added amp that is great. Enjoyment is paramount. However, your preferences and assertions don’t apply to all, which is why when some say an amp is required and the amp in the Hugo2 is ‘weak’ you have to understand that it isn’t a universal preference and it certainly isn’t a measurable truth.

I looked up the dynamic range for the tracks for La La Land and although I couldn’t find the exact album that was linked, the rest of the soundtrack albums available show terriblely low dynamic range that I wouldn’t want to listen to on any gear. Perhaps the added amp isn’t as accurate and the Hugo2 shows the dynamically compressed master’s truth. I’ve certainly experienced that many times, but we can’t come to a conclusion unless someone does a dynamic range test on that particular album.

Again, nothing wrong with choosing any piece of audio gear for one’s pleasure... just that it doesn’t necessarily apply to everyone’s enjoyment or objective measurable facts.
you didnt even check the actual track dynamic range , and you assumed its bad !
and even didnt hear anything .... sure i will pass on the argument ,
if you don't mind sharing a link or name for good track to test hugo2 amp ability
for me and other members to understand you better . thanks ..

Jan 31, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #10,602 of 22,537
LOL, I have a loaner Pathos InPol with optional ESS Sabre 9018 DAC sitting in my study! Never tried it with my Hugo 2 as I bought Utopias (partly to avoid the need for a separate headphone amp but also for QP2R listening). The Pathos InPol is a powerhouse of a headphone amplifier, I'd buy one if I used LCD-4's or Susvara's and then pair it with a Dave. That combo would be brilliant together imho
/OT
I love my small and powerful Aurium, it is a hidden hybrid gem in my opinion and I am really surprised how it is ignored in the HeadFi community.
InPol is a beast of an amp but would never buy it with the DAC option, I hate ESS Sabre DACs...
/OT

Jan 31, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #10,603 of 22,537
iFi Audio Groundhog:
I had some ground noise "humm" in my chain. ( Hugo 2 & lcd i4 )
Thanks to the groundhog..... humming noise is gone.
Kudos to @iFi audio
Thanks @KMann

Hugo 2 + lcd i4 + groundhog connected to RCA out.

ifi audio groundhog

connected to macbook pro (charging on) via usb

connected to macbook pro ( charging on ) via 3.5 mm
I concurr about KMann. To clarify; are you using the groundhog for your H2 power supply, or on your Mac?

Jan 31, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #10,605 of 22,537
Plugged in all the time. I only use it on the go

Users who are viewing this thread

Back