Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 19, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #8,056 of 22,535
I'm afraid I don't remember when Firewire was dropped. The iUSB 3.0 has dual ports, so one possible set-up is to connect it via USB 3.0 (which needs a newer Mac) and connect one drive to one of the ports, and the DAC to the other. That is supposed to isolate the power supplies from everything.

Hmm?
If I understand this correctly the iUSB3.0 can not be used with my current MBP which I use during my travels, the 2011 17" MBP.
Well if so it still has got two things going for it. It has a 17" matte screen for photoshopping, and it has Firewire 800.
From what I have read about the iUSB 3.0 it also re-clocks data.
Isn't that something Rob has strongly adviced against with his DACs?
Any other suggestions of isolators that might work with my MBP? Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #8,057 of 22,535
Hmm?
If I understand this correctly the iUSB3.0 can not be used with my current MBP which I use during my travels, the 2011 17" MBP.
Well if so it still has got two things going for it. It has a 17" matte screen for photoshopping, and it has Firewire 800.

I can't help thinking that a better approach may be to invest the money you were going to spend on USB isolation in a good DAP with optical out, a couple of large microSD cards and a card reader. You can then copy what you fancy from the hard disk storage to microSD card. DAP>Hugo>Headphones - say goodbye to the noise from your MBP forever.

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #8,058 of 22,535
I can't help thinking that a better approach may be to invest the money you were going to spend on USB isolation in a good DAP with optical out, a couple of large microSD cards and a card reader. You can then copy what you fancy from the hard disk storage to microSD card. DAP>Hugo>Headphones - say goodbye to the noise from your MBP forever.

I can only agree. I went to a lot of trouble in the past trying to get good USB audio from my MBP and it was always a hassle to get the best results. I now use a DAP, via optical or coax, and I really don't think the sound is inferior at all - and it's just plug and play.

Sep 19, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #8,061 of 22,535
I'm looking to upgrade my desktop DAC (Modi MB at the moment). Any thoughts on Hugo 2 vs Ygg? It will be paired with a Woo WA2 + HD800S.

All the Schitt products that I have tried which were 2 DAC, 2 AMP were nowehere near the quality of Chord Products. And the times that I did try I only did because of the hype here on Headfi. Hugo 2 will be much better than Schiit just based on their track record. Unless they have changed engineers making these products (which they didnt) Hugo2 will win every time 100%.

I recommend you sell the WA2 and go straight Hugo 2 for DAC, Pre, and Amp. Spend that money on a better trasnport etc. Just a suggestion from a fellaw audiophille. Peace!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 19, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #8,063 of 22,535
Hmm?

It was re-samping, not re-clocking. The former changes the bits. The latter only changes (actually fixes) the timing.

I used to put two SSD drives in my 2011 17" MBP (I used an adaptor that replaced the optical drive) until the motherboard video died, which was a known issue with them.

Even though the newest MacBook Pros have USB C slots, you can easily get the slightly older models that have regular USB 3.0 slots that have the Retina display (which is much better for Photoshop). Depending on what drives you have (or are happy to get) you can organize a much more efficient and faster set-up.

Sep 19, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #8,065 of 22,535
No issues ch1 and TT, course most of my listening is through an external server for tt ..

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #8,067 of 22,535
Ok...tried iOS 11 and the Hugo 2...no issues (using my iPad Pro). But I'm using the CCK + Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable. I guess the next big test will be next Monday when OSX 11 is released for my iMac?

Sep 19, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #8,068 of 22,535
So, did anyone try either the new OSX 11 or iOS 11 with the Hugo 2, Mojo or DAVE? How did it go?
No problem for me.

iPhone 7 Plus (iOS 11) -> NePlayer (ver. 2.1.8) -> CCK -> AudioQuest Cinnamon USB Cable -> Hugo 2 -> HE1kV2

Checked with the following albums:
Winton Marsalis: Marsalis Standard Time, DSD64
Seiko Matsuda: Seiko Jazz, 24/96kHz
Camille Thurman: Inside the Moment, 24/192kHz

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #8,069 of 22,535
I’ve been running ios11 betas and now the final release for several months. Using cck, I have no problems with either my Mojo or my Hugo2. Getting the Mojo to work with my direct lightning to micro usb cable that used to be able to fake the iPhone into working directly with the Mojo is more hit or miss. Sometimes the phone will at a certain point realize this isn’t a cck and it will then say the accessory is unsupported. Once that happens, I need to restart the phone before the ‘trick’ cable will work again. With the Hugo2 this isn’t a big deal bc I use the cck always and am not walking around. With the Mojo, which I use more when I’m walking around, it is a little frustrating, but then again, I knew the cable was tricking my phone in order to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back