Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 15, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #7,981 of 22,537
Looking for an amp to pair this with, preferably something portable for the office. Is the general consensus that the vorzuge pure II+ good with this?

An amp isn't necessary IMO. The only time I found that an amp benefitted was with the Utopia (a $4000 amp) and Susvara (necessary due to only being 80dB sensitive).

Sep 15, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #7,982 of 22,537
Looking for an amp to pair this with, preferably something portable for the office. Is the general consensus that the vorzuge pure II+ good with this?

Unless you're powering the LCD-4 or Susvara, I'd say no amp required. :)

Sep 15, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #7,983 of 22,537
An amp isn't necessary IMO. The only time I found that an amp benefitted was with the Utopia (a $4000 amp) and Susvara (necessary due to only being 80dB sensitive).

Hi Amos: I definitely agree on the Susvara (and I might add the LCD-4 as well). But the Utopia doesn't need another amp to my ears. I've run the Hugo 2 into my GS-X MK2 and I didn't detect any concrete improvements. Just my two cents...

Sep 15, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #7,984 of 22,537
Hi Amos: I definitely agree on the Susvara (and I might add the LCD-4 as well). But the Utopia doesn't need another amp to my ears. I've run the Hugo 2 into my GS-X MK2 and I didn't detect any concrete improvements. Just my two cents...

Fair enough. Maybe it's the Studio Six in particular. It has an excellent synergy with them. The now-unlikely-to-ever-be-made Liquid Tungsten was another.

Sep 15, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #7,985 of 22,537
Fair enough. Maybe it's the Studio Six in particular. It has an excellent synergy with them. The now-unlikely-to-ever-be-made Liquid Tungsten was another.

A tube amp would definitely change up the flavour by adding in some great tube sounds and colourations that you might have found preferable? That I totally get. I had the Kenzie Encore here for a month to review and dang it was sweet having a great tube amp back in the house (if only for a short while). :)

Updates on the Liquid Tungsten? I hope it does come out...I loved it when I heard it the 3 or 4 times (I kept going back to it) at RMAF last year.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #7,986 of 22,537
A tube amp would definitely change up the flavour by adding in some great tube sounds

That is not what I'm talking about at all. For whatever reason, I feel I get more detail with the amp than without. It's only with the Utopias though.

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #7,987 of 22,537
That is not what I'm talking about at all. For whatever reason, I feel I get more detail with the amp than without. It's only with the Utopias though.

Interesting. Could be that when I hook up the GS-X MK2, I'm running it in single ended mode and it needs a balanced source to really sound its best. I personally find the Hugo 2 / Utopia combination amazing on its own with plenty of power on tap to drive them fully and no improvements in details.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #7,988 of 22,537
Interesting. Could be that when I hook up the GS-X MK2, I'm running it in single ended mode and it needs a balanced source to really sound its best. I personally find the Hugo 2 / Utopia combination amazing on its own with plenty of power on tap to drive them fully and no improvements in details.
For what it's worth, I've been listening to my HD800S for the past two months running directly from the Hugo 2. Even though there is plenty of power, it's a completely different experience running them off my new Woo Audio WA22, fed by the Hugo. Beyond the tube flavor it seems to expand upon the best elements of both the Hugo and the Woo providing a new unique signature.

People often ask for recommendations for amps to pair with the Hugo on this thread. The typical response is that it's not needed. In general, most headphones do not "need" more power than the Hugo can deliver, but mixing and matching gear to personalize the sound signature is still a valid approach to take. It's a hard one to answer unless you have the same gear and taste, but this is not a one size fits all hobby. That said, the Hugo on it's own is a great option, but not the only one. The Hugo's neutral and highly transparent signature can pair very nicely with the right combination of tubes, kind of a yin yang thing :) . I would imagine there are other amps that can add their own unique qualities to the mix as well. If your just looking for more of what the Hugo already offers, then I agree, an amp probably won't add any value. My HD800S are not the hardest ears to drive, but they're not the easiest either, and I am no where near maxed out when running direct from the Hugo.

For a mobile solution, the Hugo 2 on it's own is probably the most practical but there are other options. Sticking with the tube theme, I travel with the Hugo 2 and Woo WA8 which does not deliver the same impact as the WA22, but it's still a great flavor and a nice option for variety. ALO's CDM would probably be a nice pairing as well.

Sep 15, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #7,990 of 22,537

You can't hook up to the GS-X MK2 in balanced from Hugo 2 right?

Sep 15, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #7,991 of 22,537
For what it's worth, I've been listening to my HD800S for the past two months running directly from the Hugo 2. Even though there is plenty of power, it's a completely different experience running them off my new Woo Audio WA22, fed by the Hugo. Beyond the tube flavor it seems to expand upon the best elements of both the Hugo and the Woo providing a new unique signature.

People often ask for recommendations for amps to pair with the Hugo on this thread. The typical response is that it's not needed. In general, most headphones do not "need" more power than the Hugo can deliver, but mixing and matching gear to personalize the sound signature is still a valid approach to take. It's a hard one to answer unless you have the same gear and taste, but this is not a one size fits all hobby. That said, the Hugo on it's own is a great option, but not the only one. The Hugo's neutral and highly transparent signature can pair very nicely with the right combination of tubes, kind of a yin yang thing :) . I would imagine there are other amps that can add their own unique qualities to the mix as well. If your just looking for more of what the Hugo already offers, then I agree, an amp probably won't add any value. My HD800S are not the hardest ears to drive, but they're not the easiest either, and I am no where near maxed out when running direct from the Hugo.

For a mobile solution, the Hugo 2 on it's own is probably the most practical but there are other options. Sticking with the tube theme, I travel with the Hugo 2 and Woo WA8 which does not deliver the same impact as the WA22, but it's still a great flavor and a nice option for variety. ALO's CDM would probably be a nice pairing as well.

I used to own the WA22 and loved it with the HD800. Really awesome pairing!

Sep 16, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #7,992 of 22,537
Hello,

I would like to know how Hugo2 works with Sony Z1R.
I have tested this headphone with several DAC/AMPs and I have to say that the bass is so critic depending on the combination.

Any experiences out there?
Thanks all!

Sep 16, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #7,994 of 22,537
Hello,

I would like to know how Hugo2 works with Sony Z1R.
I have tested this headphone with several DAC/AMPs and I have to say that the bass is so critic depending on the combination.

Any experiences out there?
Thanks all!

I am using this combo now and enjoying it very much.
Using the white filter the resolution of the Hugo 2 balances out the warmth and lushness of the Z1R so tilting it back slightly towards neutral. Also really enjoying the crossfeed which enhances that enveloping sound of the Z1R even further, it's like sticking your head inside a sphere of sound and I can't get enough of that feeling, can listen for hours at end.

Sep 16, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #7,995 of 22,537
Thanks Rob and @Arpiben

And wow these are high sample rates

So everything is up-sampled to ~91MHz or ~99MHz

Wowza. I thought my Directstream went high up to ~50MHz

Hi @Rob Watts I had someone message me that my numbers and units (quoted here) aren't right. Are they way off or close enough? To the nearest 10MHz .

I'd never seen the units kSps until I saw @Arpiben 's 2048*48kSps

Is that the same as 2048 * 48kHz sample rate?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back