Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 6, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #6,751 of 22,475
he started talking about wagner, then ventured into hitler and vegetarianism

Ah yeah I remember that one :D
Too bad it's been CENSORED... Was a funny read... But maybe there will be an essay collection called 'Mein...

Man I should really try letting this go... :D

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #6,752 of 22,475
Returning to some musical topics triggered by posts from @Christer

One of the discussions mentioned one of the Proms performances sounded very like running water.
Inspired by this I have started to explore the album 'Water' by Helene Grimaud, in particular track 8 'Jeux d'eau' by Maurice Ravel.
There are passages in this track which are very evocative of a stream cascading over stones as it flows downstream.
The track is single piano, so I preferred no xfeed (xfeed would have just been trying to create a wider soundstage that never existed), and I also preferred white filter in order to preserve the precision of the notes (all the other filters tended to blur the edges of notes).

I have also started to undertake my student homework :wink:
I have listened to one of last years binaural recordings Ravel's Bolero http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p044by30
I enjoyed listening to this recording, but was surprised by the amount of audience noise. To be fair, Christer did warn us about audience noise. It will upset some people, but I have got used to recordings of live jazz concerts, where the audience noise is regarded as adding authenticity to the 'performance', in contrast to a pure but sterile studio based recording.

Aug 6, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #6,753 of 22,475
since it has been discussed in a previous thread concerning cello suites. By far it all could have ended with bach, and while pierre Fournier's 6 cello suites, btw 1007-1012 1961release in flac 192 24 bit could be the denouement to pablo casal's epoch making late 1930 recordings, also consider janos starkers 1960 recording on mercury living presence, of the same material, is also something to behold. regardless of the dac the substance is in fact enthralling. FYI.

I love Fournier's version and you've probably heard it but if not David Watkins' version stunning.....Excellent recording too but that's just a bonus.

Aug 6, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #6,754 of 22,475
Second the recommendation of Watkins for a modern recording, also a huge fan of Richard Tunnicliffe's recording on Linn.

Aug 6, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #6,755 of 22,475
I love Fournier's version and you've probably heard it but if not David Watkins' version stunning.....Excellent recording too but that's just a bonus.
ill look into watkins

Aug 6, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #6,756 of 22,475
Through good headphones of course. Just listen the same way you would listen to anything else. Youtube is not ideal, but it can give you an impression of the equipment/listening room being used.

I should have been more specific. I have used the online conversation of YouTube to MP3, various sizes. I wondered if I was missing something. Thanks.

Aug 6, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #6,757 of 22,475
Ah yeah I remember that one :D
Too bad it's been CENSORED... Was a funny read... But maybe there will be an essay collection called 'Mein...

Man I should really try letting this go... :D

I think a good number of us pre-date the "I am offended over everything" generation and enjoy a touch of irony, pithiness or humor.

Aug 6, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #6,758 of 22,475
Just came back from the store with my new Hugo 2. I'm listening now with my Sure KSE-1500s. Pretty amazing sound.

Hugo 1 sounded like it had a pretty or mellifluous veil over the sound, and the Hugo 2 does away with most of this. The Hugo 2 is definitely more revealing and immediate.

One question: To power the unit, can I plug the USB into a "normal" AC to USB adapter, like those which come with iPhones?

Thanks!

(My only complaint right now is that the sound knob is still horizontal with respect to the unit. With my Hugo 1, I never did remember which direction was up and which was down. Turning the knob 90 degrees would make this aspect of the UX much better, IMO.)

Aug 6, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #6,759 of 22,475
Just came back from the store with my new Hugo 2. I'm listening now with my Sure KSE-1500s. Pretty amazing sound.

Hugo 1 sounded like it had a pretty or mellifluous veil over the sound, and the Hugo 2 does away with most of this. The Hugo 2 is definitely more revealing and immediate.

One question: To power the unit, can I plug the USB into a "normal" AC to USB adapter, like those which come with iPhones?

Thanks!

(My only complaint right now is that the sound knob is still horizontal with respect to the unit. With my Hugo 1, I never did remember which direction was up and which was down. Turning the knob 90 degrees would make this aspect of the UX much better, IMO.)

I am still sitting on the fence whether to upgrade from my KSE 1500/Mojo to the Hugo 2 and sacrifice portability for transportability. May I ask for a picture of the KSE 1500 energizer on top of the Hugo 2? My thanks in advance.

Aug 6, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #6,760 of 22,475
I am still sitting on the fence whether to upgrade from my KSE 1500/Mojo to the Hugo 2 and sacrifice portability for transportability. May I ask for a picture of the KSE 1500 energizer on top of the Hugo 2? My thanks in advance.

I strap my AK120II, Hugo, and KSE1500 amp together into one bundle, put the stack in a neoprene bag, and put this in my shoulder bag. Listen to it while walking around, riding subways, etc., all the time. No problem. When I'm listening to a different IEM that doesn't require its own amp, I stick my AK120II/Hugo stack in my jeans back pocket and listen while walking around. Totally portable!

As for the Mojo...I've heard that it's kinda warm and gooey, which is fine if that's what you like, but man the KSE1500s are so pure and clean....They deserve a Hugo!

IMG_4529.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #6,761 of 22,475
for creating surround effect 'from in front of you' like in some sound bars, multiple drivers are used which use reflections from side walls in combination with sound processing. these sound bars can mimic the surround effect but can't reproduce the tests like chesky's depth and image test. in this test a group of musicians go around a stereo mic. a perfectly set up 'stereo only' point source should give the clear impression of musicians going behind you . similarly speakers employing drivers at a distance or at different angles may not give the correct image for that test. so the point is that the system should be able to reproduce accurately what the sound recordist intended.

Aug 7, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #6,762 of 22,475
for creating surround effect 'from in front of you' like in some sound bars, multiple drivers are used which use reflections from side walls in combination with sound processing. these sound bars can mimic the surround effect but can't reproduce the tests like chesky's depth and image test. in this test a group of musicians go around a stereo mic. a perfectly set up 'stereo only' point source should give the clear impression of musicians going behind you .

A pair of stereo speakers in front of you can give the clear impression of musicians behind you? Now that is a trick I have never experienced.

Aug 7, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #6,763 of 22,475
got my Hugo 2 today)) hope it beat old Hugo and 1z/sp1k as well) will compare all week. waiting for A18 - think it should be unbelievable combo)

20170807_100630.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #6,764 of 22,475
@Hooster, binaural recordings use only a pair of mics in dummy head and still able to record all the cues in two channel which when played back through headphones gives you information all around you. theoretically if two ears can give you all the distance , direction and depth information , it is possible to record behind the mic information ( or all around information ) through a carefully set up single pair of stereo mic and also the reproduction though a proper stereo speaker set up. search a bit on net you can find that chesky track. I have used that track a number of times for correct toe in of speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back