Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 22, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #6,181 of 22,537
I forgot to add that I'm using Hugo 2 into the VTL's Tube Buffer Mode, so it isn't direct to power amps since the system is otherwise fully balanced. The volume is entirely controlled using the Hugo 2 via the remote but it's still connected to the pre which outputs a balanced signal to the amps.

I have been testing with the ISO REGEN and Curious USB and I'm not gonna say anything conclusive yet but let's just say a lot of the 'body' I reported to be missing when compared to the Lampi has been brought back along with a "you can almost reach out and touch the music" kind of sound with impeccable timing . This is just after a couple days of listening so I'm gonna be testing over the coming days to see how consistent this effect is.

Oh, that's interesting with the ISO REGEN in the chain, Could that be due to that the CH2 not having galvanisation on it's USB input I wonder?

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #6,184 of 22,537
and once the clock reaches 24 hrs, the batteries are effectively taken 'out of circuit' and the Hugo 2 starts running from mains power only (desktop mode).

This is something that confuses me. From my understanding, once in desktop mode; the charge cycle alters so that the batteries don't deplete. (Trickle charge at 2A)

I can confirm that in desktop mode, it is cool to touch, but other times it will be hot in desktop mode. So that would suggest some sort of charging cycle right?

I also read some pages back, that if the batteries ever died, the Hugo2 would go on working in desktop mode... so that conflicts with what I've just wrote. My head hurts.

Jul 23, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #6,185 of 22,537
What input did you use to the CH2, e.g. was it USB or optical when you did the comparison ?
For my serious A/B session I used them both on USB input, Hugo2 plugged into the wall using my most well known FLAC files. I also bypassed the preamp (edit: of my speakers' amplifier) for the Hugo2 in this session. I learned the preamp section on my amp isn't bad at all.

At first I compared the 2Qute on USB with FLAC with the Hugo2 on the same song, but on 320 over bluetooth. The Hugo2 still won here in depth and realism, even with the technical disadvantages. The margins weren't huge but still perceptable. Big complement to the Hugo2 here.

Only on my hi fi system (the ELAC BS244 go to very high frequencies, they have ribbon tweeters) I could hear the difference between the filters. I like them, the red ones mellow out the high end on some tracks when I think they need it meaning I can turn it up and enjoy the bass a bit more.

I would wait for more impressions from more users before coming to a definite conclusion. A/B tests are never the way to go, they may reveal minor differences in the short term but given time once comes to realize the whole is greater than the sum. I remember reading on the Dave thread one user bought a Dave and couldn't hear much difference when compared to Mojo in their speaker setup, I think with more time his thoughts have changed. Hugo 2's preamp is incredibly transparent and the PRAT makes the VTL 5.5 pre seem almost sluggish in comparison. Cymbals, drums, guitars, are rendered so beautifully and realistically that they have given me many What moments, blurring the line between what is digital and what is real. Of course, every system is not the same and the overall synergy and transparency of the system will have a lot to do with how the system sounds, YMMV.
Yes, the system is important. I think the fairest test in comparing what the Hugo2 with it's new specs compared to the Hugo1 (and thus the taps on the 2Qute) is to compare with the best headphones possible to get the best revelations.

I back the A/B method as a direct in the moment comparison as a fair test in my opinion, due to the human's brain only being able to hold onto the memory of the sound quality for not much more than a minute.

I'm not saying the other option has no value or is weaker, the emotional effect the better performing DAC can have on the listener of the music and thus overall experience can can be more amplify musical pleasure more than what the objective A/Bing might tell you. But I think that could even come down to psychology (which can be influenced by price) and personality. And with audiophiles, a lot of our sonic taste preferences for the best end up damaging our hip pockets, a personality trait most people don't struggle with and thus are happy with the cheaper lesser performing products, the margins for them don't have the same impact (or they haven't had the luxury to sit with and feel the long term impact so it isn't an issue, but fair enough). I think to keep an objective A/B method is important as it lets the personality traits step aside for a moment. The immediacy of the assessment has value for all personalities.

I remember A/Bing the Mojo to the Hugo1. My impression was that the Mojo was good enough and the difference didn't bother me (if I never had the 2Qute, the Mojo may have became my main desktop DAC as the differences between them were less apparent through my speakers + amp when I A/Bd them). A year or so later I A/B'd the Hugo1 to the Mojo again using headphones (HD800s both times), and the Hugo1 leapt out as heaps better than what I remembered the difference being. The Mojo to my ears became second rate with my IEMs from then on (which I now want to upgrade because I believe the SE535 are second rate due to more A/B comparisons using other IEMs with the Hugo2). Psychology must have had something to do with it, even if it was ignorance is bliss. There are plenty of personalities, tastes and synergistic matches to headphones that keep people happy with the Mojo. So I do agree with letting something sit for a while then coming back, the clinical nature of an A/B session still has its place to inform.

To boil my thoughts down, what makes sense is that sometimes a small margin can mean a lot given time.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #6,186 of 22,537
I also bypassed the preamp for the Hugo2 in this session.

Technically, you just set the output to 3Vrms and didn't bypass anything.

Jul 23, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #6,187 of 22,537
I am confused about the RGB LED indicator function colors. For charging, the manual shows white for the power orb when charging from a mains 2 amp wall wort and blue for 1 amp.

First of all, the color for white seems to have a blue tint depending on the viewing angle so I tried switching between an iPhone wall charger rated at 1 amp and the supplied CHORD charger rated at 2 amps and the power light remains white but definitely not blue. The manual says blue for 1 amp and white for 1 amps??

What is the color shown on the power orb for "fully charged". From the manual it looks like either black or blue or I assume light off. So if it is plugged in and the light goes from white then off after a few minutes can I assume that means it's fully charged? Is blue the color for 100% charges when unit is first turned on after a recharge??

Does the power charge light remain white when charging then I just need to wait for the light to come back on as Magenta to be in the desktop mode?

Once in the desktop mode, if you unplug and move to another location and replug to mains will you have to wait another 24 hours to get back to desktop mode?

What is best for battery longevity, letting it run down all the way periodically or keeping it charged as much as possible??

The colour for 1A charging is cyan - it's not blue. Note that when the unit is close to fully charged, the charger takes less power, so a 1A charger would initially be cyan when the battery is flat, but will switch to white or full charge rate later on. The circuit monitors the input voltage, and will only go into 1A charging mode if the charger PSU voltage drops.

It will show blue if it is fully charged, and the unit is switched on. If the unit is off, and charger connected, then the light being off indicates end of charge.

When its in desktop mode and the unit is on, then it will indicate magenta. Disconnecting the charger will reset desktop mode. In terms of longevity, Li batteries do not care if you run to 80% and then charge; you will get the same life if you discharge to 0%; so a 20% discharge will allow 5 times more charge/discharge cycles. In desktop mode, the battery is no longer being charged or discharged, so effectively battery life is not dependent upon charging and discharging.

Rob

Jul 23, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #6,189 of 22,537
If hugo 2 is largely immune to jitter and usb sounds identical to optical (so the addition of galvanic isolation has a negligible effect) this is enough proof for me that hugo 2 really doesn't need endless more usb tweaks. simple is better and i am quite happy with a direct usb connection (audioquest forest) from my imac with its 512gb ssd (super quiet) running tidal in exclusive mode. in this case tidal 'feeds' hugo 2 a whole audio stream untouched by osx or the tidal app. my only avenues left to explore are roon mainly for its GUI and mr speakers aeon once my bank account recovers from H2!!:L3000: money spent on superior headphones is where the improvement lies IMHO.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #6,190 of 22,537
In my speaker/audeze lcd4 system it sounds best in linelevel mode connected to my VAC 70/70 amp via lightspeed passive attenuator and audioquest wildblueyonder IC.

This sounds more dynamic and transparent vs using the hugo 2 preamp volume control.

The 3v output does a better job of driving my amp and audeze lcd 4 HP/carver platinum speakers.

Also, the campfire vega IEM via hugo 2 volume control is a great combo for PC/Tidal listening and movies/TV.

Jul 23, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #6,191 of 22,537
If hugo 2 is largely immune to jitter and usb sounds identical to optical (so the addition of galvanic isolation has a negligible effect) this is enough proof for me that hugo 2 really doesn't need endless more usb tweaks. simple is better and i am quite happy with a direct usb connection (audioquest forest) from my imac with its 512gb ssd (super quiet) running tidal in exclusive mode. in this case tidal 'feeds' hugo 2 a whole audio stream untouched by osx or the tidal app. my only avenues left to explore are roon mainly for its GUI and mr speakers aeon once my bank account recovers from H2!!:L3000: money spent on superior headphones is where the improvement lies IMHO.
you pick your spots but take it from experience, outside of the best dac possible, the source has the most impact on sq, then choosing the right HP for your preference. Im testing susvara right now and will have a summary out later in the week. But in my experience the divergence at HP reference level comes down to preference and that some do this or that better than this or that. That makes in my opinion the HP the most difficult decision to make after dac and source. unless money is no object. Cables matter but that is less important than the aforementioned.
having said that I'm happy that TT has HD galvanic ports, and by source I'm not referring to regent or itona....

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #6,193 of 22,537
Jul 23, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #6,194 of 22,537
how is your imac 5k for running roon and would you use H2 here direct from your imac??

doesn't the Mcintosh amp contain a dac??

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #6,195 of 22,537
how is your imac 5k for running roon and would you use H2 here direct from your imac??
I use antipodes audio dsgt roon core server into TT into GSX MK2 for reference HP exclusively .
Im getting ch2 for a 10 day test monday. I use the iMac roon core for my kef desktop speakers, for my hpa8 and la900 rig, and will test CH1 and CH2 that way as well. Im primarily concerned with hugo as a portable so most of the shootout will be CCK to my iPhone through noble encore.....
iTunes on iMac <roon core on Imac< roon core on external server such as antipodes but there are many brands generally costly tho. each step is an improvement.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back