Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 9, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #5,431 of 22,475
great stuff. now i need to start saving. will post photos of H2 hopefully in the next day or two.:camera::camera_with_flash::camera:

Jul 9, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #5,433 of 22,475
Yes - take it as I have (and have heard) better, reacting to some "H2 is TOTL, end game, among the very best" feedback - which remains as valid as before of course, just not to my ears.
Compliments to the h2: with HD800 (and to some extent JH13 Pro) it is sufficiently enjoyable that I would not feel compelled to "fire up one of the big rigs" (incl. Metrum Adagio, Berkeley Alpha, Mark Levinson No. 585, McIntosh MDA 1000, NAD M2, ...).
For Utopia and especially Z1R I will not use the H2, ever (because I have other combinations with better synergies, and because in absolute terms it doesn't meet my subjective bar). What works better: With both I would actually prefer ZX2 or Plenue 1 - ZX2 often combined with Vorzuge Pure II.
YMMV ...
Although I am floored by Hugo 2's dac SQ for its price point, I agree with you that for pushing some full sized cans it isn't optimal. That's probably why you had substandard results with a few of them. H2--->high quality power amp---->Z1R or Utopia might completely change your opinion on H2's abilities. I mentioned it a while back but directly to my LCD-4s it was very detailed but flat, no wow factor, and couldn't be played loud without distorting. But played as dac through my WA22..whoa. I know it technically is a headphone amp also but I don't think it was intended to push certain headphones to max potential. Even Dave's amp can only do so much. Add a powerful tube or ss amp to the mix and these top Chord dacs are outrageous.

Jul 9, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #5,434 of 22,475
Your a legend thank you!

Can I ask what you get in the box with the H2? Like does it come with coax, usb, wall socket charger etc?
In the box: Wall charger with 3 interchangeable tips (UK/US/Europe) and fixed USB micro cable (to H2), micro usb to micro usb cable, full size usb to micro usb cable, optical spdif cable (both sides with the boxy, short connector), optical sprif cable (shorter, one side boxy connector, the other one the plug-in tip that looks like a slimmed down 1/8" plug). Manual + of course: Hugo 2 device.

Jul 9, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #5,435 of 22,475
A Hugo 2 has arrived in for review. I have been using it with various headphones, both direct and via a Master 9 amp. One observation I've made, which may have been the cause of those "bright" comments is that the spaciousness and precision with which it delivers music can make it seem more bass-light than it really is. You can observe this if you engage the crossfeed, as narrowing the soundstage, it feels like the bass level goes up. Especially with the DAVE default filter (white) which doesn't roll off the high frequencies the treble may give have emphasis than via other DACs.

An interesting thing is that I've been enjoying it directly with the Utopias more so than I did the DAVE.

Jul 9, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #5,436 of 22,475
Although I am floored by Hugo 2's dac SQ for its price point, I agree with you that for pushing some full sized cans it isn't optimal. That's probably why you had substandard results with a few of them. H2--->high quality power amp---->Z1R or Utopia might completely change your opinion on H2's abilities. I mentioned it a while back but directly to my LCD-4s it was very detailed but flat, no wow factor, and couldn't be played loud without distorting. But played as dac through my WA22..whoa. I know it technically is a headphone amp also but I don't think it was intended to push certain headphones to max potential. Even Dave's amp can only do so much. Add a powerful tube or ss amp to the mix and these top Chord dacs are outrageous.

Respectfully, I completely disagree with the Utopia - I haven't heard the Z1R or LCD-4 so I have no comment regarding those headphones. I have the Liquid Gold which is a 9W amp and besides the addition of the sweet Cavalli house sound that it adds I don't feel the Utopia is under powered in any way shape or form from the Hugo2 compared to the Liquid Gold at reasonable volume levels (read: won't make me deaf in 5 min). Unless you are listening at near max volume there is no way you are utilizing anywhere near the unused max power available. Tuning and synergy is far too often mistaken for power drive. Believe me, there is plenty of power for the Utopia from the Hugo2. I listened to the Utopia in the red volume zone which is at the lower end of the total volume range and it was more than satisfying to me with very much ample room to spare for power.

IMG_6952_02sml.jpg

I know it technically is a headphone amp also but I don't think it was intended to push certain headphones to max potential. Even Dave's amp can only do so much. Add a powerful tube or ss amp to the mix and these top Chord dacs are outrageous.

I'm not talking about the Hugo2 with the following comments...

The term 'max potential' drives me absolutely nuts, no matter what gear is being discussed. What would you define as max potential? Low distortion, Voltage delivery, Current delivery, SNR, THD, dynamic range, impedance, slew rate, tuning, synergy, 120dB SPL, etc? There is so much more to designing gear than just max power. Sorry if I sound confrontational here, but if the gear is designed well, with very good specs, and with enough room to spare beyond one's listening level then there is not much more to it for max potential, besides tonal preferences.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #5,437 of 22,475
i wonder if the relatively small size of the hugo 2 as say compared to a master 9 for e.g. can induce a psychological effect whereas the listener finds it hard to correlate the volume level to the gear being used. so if you added an amp like a master 9 into the mix you would feel like your headphones are being driven more "powerfully".:cat::camel: i'm serious a sort of placebo effect.:turtle::turtle:

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #5,438 of 22,475
In the box: Wall charger with 3 interchangeable tips (UK/US/Europe) and fixed USB micro cable (to H2), micro usb to micro usb cable, full size usb to micro usb cable, optical spdif cable (both sides with the boxy, short connector), optical sprif cable (shorter, one side boxy connector, the other one the plug-in tip that looks like a slimmed down 1/8" plug). Manual + of course: Hugo 2 device.

Thanks so much, I'm in Australia so hopefully I get the AU wall adapter haha.

Jul 9, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #5,439 of 22,475
Respectfully, I completely disagree with the Utopia - I haven't heard the Z1R or LCD-4 so I have no comment regarding those headphones. I have the Liquid Gold which is a 9W amp and besides the addition of the sweet Cavalli house sound that it adds I don't feel the Utopia is under powered in any way shape or form from the Hugo2 compared to the Liquid Gold at reasonable volume levels (read: won't make me deaf in 5 min). Unless you are listening at near max volume there is no way you are utilizing anywhere near the unused max power available. Tuning and synergy is far too often mistaken for power drive. Believe me, there is plenty of power for the Utopia from the Hugo2. I listened to the Utopia in the red volume zone which is at the lower end of the total volume range and it was more than satisfying to me with very much ample room to spare for power.

The term 'max potential' drives me absolutely nuts, no matter what gear is being discussed. What would you define as max potential? Low distortion, Voltage delivery, Current delivery, SNR, THD, dynamic range, impedance, slew rate, tuning, synergy, 120dB SPL, etc? There is so much more to designing gear than just max power. Sorry if I sound confrontational here, but if the gear is designed well, with very good specs, and with enough room to spare beyond one's listening level then there is not much more to it for max potential, besides tonal preferences.

As little as I know about technical side of things with audio, I have to fully agree with you here. I hear this all the time, "this dac/amp can't drive these headphones well" "that amp/dac won't give you the full potential" blah blah.

I was driving (and this might be funny to some) my mr speaker ether flows of... wait for it, a 99$ fiio a3 e11k till my mojo turned up, then from the mojo I've been driving HD800S, Ether Flows and now my AEON's all be it the AEON's can run out of smart phone 3.5mm port no worries without a dac or any other attachements.

My point is this, for my ears if I was to turn the volume levels up anymore on ether of those dacs I blow my ear drums out. So for me anyway your comment where it boils down to "tonal preferences" is 100% accurate and I beleive one could actually prove that point scientifically.

So I'm thinking if you have to drive your headphones that hard wouldn't that start to muddy the tonal quality?

If any of what I've said here makes any sense at all haha.

I get what you mean though lets just say that.

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #5,440 of 22,475
As little as I know about technical side of things with audio, I have to fully agree with you here. I hear this all the time, "this dac/amp can't drive these headphones well" "that amp/dac won't give you the full potential" blah blah.

I was driving (and this might be funny to some) my mr speaker ether flows of... wait for it, a 99$ fiio a3 e11k till my mojo turned up, then from the mojo I've been driving HD800S, Ether Flows and now my AEON's all be it the AEON's can run out of smart phone 3.5mm port no worries without a dac or any other attachements.

My point is this, for my ears if I was to turn the volume levels up anymore on ether of those dacs I blow my ear drums out. So for me anyway your comment where it boils down to "tonal preferences" is 100% accurate and I beleive one could actually prove that point scientifically.

So I'm thinking if you have to drive your headphones that hard wouldn't that start to muddy the tonal quality?

If any of what I've said here makes any sense at all haha.

I get what you mean though lets just say that.

Thanks. To be fair it isn't all down to just tonal preferences. There are also good measureable reasons why some gear sounds bad as well, even if they have a lot of power.

The other thing is, 'max potential' could mean many things to many people as well. For those that want transparency then the WA22, just as an example, would take the experience away from the headphone's 'max potential' compared to directly from the Hugo2, from a transparency standpoint. On the flip side, if looking for a 'sweet' listening experience then the WA22 may be someone's 'max potential'. See where I'm going with this? It's not as simple as saying MOAR POWAAAR because 'max potential' can mean different things to different people. When there is enough power, and some room to spare, then it's all about implementation and the user's preferences. The term 'max potential' itself is generally misleading.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #5,441 of 22,475
Been watching a high quality movie on my laptop with Hugo 2 and ATH-CKR10.
What a great experience, cinema like and i could hear all sorts of micro details that are hard to hear even with a quality Home cinema system.
Both music and movies are covered.
I can't wait to try LCDi4 and Aeon.
The game has been changed again, a whole new level in portable sound for audiophiles, thanks Chord Electronics.

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #5,445 of 22,475

I can agree with what you said about those qualities for the term max potential being subjective, yeah totally. I was just saying that if the reviewer didn't have a positive experience with Hugo 2 directly to his headphones, maybe he could try it with a high quality purpose built powerful amp to get them to where HE thought their full potential is for his tastes. In other words, I was simply saying the dac element isn't slacking at all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back