Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 27, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #4,876 of 22,475
So here comes your Antwort :D

Yes, they are the same capacitors like the ones used in TT (just different color but exact same specifications and form factor).
Maybe adding those in the Hugo 2 would do the same thing.. just have to find out if they fit in case again as the new case is a little different.
In the Hugo 1 I managed to get them just above the USB-connectors. It was a bit tricky to get them in there so that they hold but not damage anything inside but it works really well without problems for about a year now (also used mobile in the gym) :D . Technically the two super capacitors are just in parallel with the corresponding battery. Not soldered anything on the board itself. The capacitors were about 10 to 15 € each I think. I hope I could help you. :)
By the way I am using the Ultrasone Edition 5 with the EQ shown in my avatar wich is a very dynamic headphone, actually compared it for about 3 hours to the Focal Utopia (wich did not need EQ) but I did find the Focal on par with the Ultrasone in terms of dynamics and overall sound quality. Although it was not a fair comparison as my Edition 5 was heavily EQ´d :D

9964343_thumb.jpg
Danke Nochmals. Ich erwarte gerade eine Antwort von Chord auch.
Supercapacitors oder nicht in HUGO 2 das ist die Frage.
Ja oder Nein?

Jun 27, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #4,877 of 22,475
Those super capacitors take up space. Second Robb has talked a lot about why Hugo doesn't have galvanic isolation. Remember Hugo is a portable. Media hound pointed out a few of TT strong points versus Hugo 2.
-Galvanic isolation on the USB. This stops RF noise from the source creating noise floor modulation within the analog electronics. It also prevents signal correlated but distorted ground currents from corrupting the small signal distortion performance. The SQ benefits are smoother and warmer SQ with better instrument separation and focus, and better sound-stage depth.

-Beefed up Output stage – increased bias current. This means that with lower impedance headphones it will be in Class A for more time, making it sound smoother.

- Beefed up power supply – double the batteries and addition of super caps (10,000,000uF (microfarads) of supercapacitor energy storage) reducing power supply impedance.

- Improved reference circuitry – lower impedance and noise.

- Chassis machined from solid block – reduces effects of vibration.

These all contribute to the audio quality. It's not only about taps folks.

I can't speak to the rest of your post. Design I'm sure was considered in trade offs for what one may call a barely portable portable.

Jun 27, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #4,882 of 22,475
Because I came up with a much more elegant way of isolating the amplifier from the power supply.

Because I came up with a much more elegant way of isolating the amplifier from the power supply.

Thanks Rob,
but I am afraid I'll have to reveal more of my technical ignorance and ask one more follow-up question.
I was under the impression that the supercaps were important in other ways than isolating the amp from the power supply?
Does what you say above also mean that a Qute 3 or TT2 won't be in any need of super capacitors either?
Or does this solution you mention ,whatever it is, only apply to HUGO 2?
Or are you actually giving a reason for the lack of galvanic isolation on HUGO 2 and not the lack of super capacitors?
PS I am not in any way doubting that HUGO 2 " will sound even better than HUGO.
Still a bummer though that I probably won't be able to fit my reference RCA cable to a HUGO 2.
I am in need of ultimate SQ first and foremost, portability comes second for me. The only time I put HUGO in a pocket is when checking in at airports and my hand-luggage is way too heavy to be accepted on board without my putting Hugo and portable hardrives and other smallish but heavy items in the bulging pockets of my photovest.
Thanks for your rapid responses.
Christer

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #4,883 of 22,475
sounds like you need TT or Dave. sorry for the bud in but robb said the chassis block of dave didn't need the super capacitors that TT did. can't speak about whats in store for TT2 or cute 3....
Im not sure how to address your desire for a desktop from a portable.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #4,884 of 22,475
A few users have reported about the same battery problems on Hugo 2 like on Mojo and Hugo 1 recently, and my question is if this is something Chord are looking into to improve in the next production batch or what is the plan to on this issue?

Would be great if John or Matthew made a comment about this, so potential buyers don't hesitate about the quality of the battery.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #4,885 of 22,475
Just heard some good news. My Hugo2 should be in my hands a week tomorrow.
@Mojo ideas, or @Rob Watts: Would it be possible for me to get hold of a text or html version of the user manual for H2? The .PDF version is formatted in such a way that it appears to be out of order, contentwise. I can't process the document properly to read it.
Please respond at your leasure.

Jun 27, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #4,886 of 22,475
my dealer is ringing me here in the UK tomorrow to hopefully let me know for certain as well:) i will be uploading photos and impressions.

Jun 27, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #4,887 of 22,475
sounds like you need TT or Dave. sorry for the bud in but robb said the chassis block of dave didn't need the super capacitors that TT did. can't speak about whats in store for TT2 or cute 3....
Im not sure how to address your desire for a desktop from a portable.

I guess you are right in your last sentence there. I am probably a bit difficult to please but my auditions of DAVE has made me a very "spoilt kid" indeed.
I know what is possible .
I have great respect for the very best Rob has achieved so far with DAVE.
While also painfully aware of all shortcomings of HUGO.
I just don't like compromises obviously made for commercial reasons.
But TT is not an option at all for me.
No way ,I would pay a small fortune for what is basically just an optimized HUGO 1.
Either DAVE or possibly HUGO 2 with a future M-scaler are what's on my radar from Chord. But I am also equally aware that there is stuff from the competition that actually offers what I consider very important assets for a DAC also to be used in a high end home system where even HUGO 2 seems to fall a bit short.
I am definitely going to audition both Benchmark's DAC 3 HGC and some other DACs, knowing well how good DAC 2 already sounds in my system at home compared to HUGO, while still being portable enough for my travel needs.
I have after all, already spent two winters in Asia with my Benchmark DAC 2 HGC and I could easily do so again with DAC 3 if it performs better than HUGO 2 in my home system.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #4,888 of 22,475
Just heard some good news. My Hugo2 should be in my hands a week tomorrow.
@Mojo ideas, or @Rob Watts: Would it be possible for me to get hold of a text or html version of the user manual for H2? The .PDF version is formatted in such a way that it appears to be out of order, contentwise. I can't process the document properly to read it.
Please respond at your leasure.
Can you scan the manual, and use OCR software to extract the raw text? It could be a solution, but I realise that Chord may raise objections on copyright grounds, so it would be better if they can supply you with the raw text.
An alternative approach is to use the print screen the pdf version on your computer, then paste into microsoft Paint. You can then cut the required sections from the image, and rearrange them however you wish in a new Word or Powerpoint document for instance. This also gives you the opportunity to add any new FAQ that appear in this thread, and create a truly bespoke user guide for yourself.

Jun 27, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #4,889 of 22,475
I won't listen to Dave for that reason, very happy with TT, being the sweet spot I believe in the chord line up for value and sound quality for full option desktop. Good luck with your testing.

Jun 27, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #4,890 of 22,475
Can you scan the manual, and use OCR software to extract the raw text? It could be a solution, but I realise that Chord may raise objections on copyright grounds, so it would be better if they can supply you with the raw text.
An alternative approach is to use the print screen the pdf version on your computer, then paste into microsoft Paint. You can then cut the required sections from the image, and rearrange them however you wish in a new Word or Powerpoint document for instance. This also gives you the opportunity to add any new FAQ that appear in this thread, and create a truly bespoke user guide for yourself.
Between you and me, if most blind guys gave a c**p about copyright, we wouldn't have any books to read at all. I have an OCR program that allows scanning and reading of most materiels. This includes processing of files such as PDFs to extract the print from the visuals. For some reason, none of my software, designed for that purpose, could make heads or tails of this particular manual. No problem with the original Hugo manual. But, now... Your idea has great possibilities, but I first need to decode the PDF.
I'm hoping John might weigh in with some raw data or text format I could use.
Have you heard, by the way, about your delivery, Mike?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back