Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Apr 22, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #3,121 of 22,537
Take your time Chord, make it perfect, some of us are still saving up :grinning:

You are so zen my friend :)
beerchug.gif

So many sad faces! I was pretty excited to get the Hugo 2 as well but delays happen. It's OK to be disappointed, just get your deposit back if you need the cash flow, and listen to your favorite music on the best equipment you have now. That way when it's finally released, you'll have a much larger appreciation for the work Chord has done. Don't kid yourself, you know you're going to get a Hugo 2 / Poly anyway. Might as well make the best of it.  
atsmile.gif

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #3,122 of 22,537
chord is obviously in damage control mode. they know people are way overhyped about this product after mojo. they dont want them to be disappointed. on hearing hugo 2 most ppl would be like what ? it sounds way too close to hugo 1 or perhaps even mojo.

the reason for this is all high end gear sound way too close to each other.

also ppl expecting it to outperform hugo tt are in for a rude surprise. from what i gather improvements are in fpga chip. which means dac chip is superior. since when did we started considering dac chip upgrade as upgrade? what about implementation? hugo tt has superior implementation.

i read one comparison impressions long time ago on this thread. poster said hugo tt basically has more meat around bones. which by default means its a superior product. but somehow transients are superior on hugo 2 so its superior.

you know, if you want better transients, that accurate starting and stopping of notes, simply swap your sennheiser hp with an akg hp. it will give you more accurate sound than any dac swap, especially from same brand could.

chord marketing has made a mockery of headfi conventions.

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #3,123 of 22,537
Frustration seems to be boiling into anger. May I suggest that we relax and look forward to the day when the Hugo2 is here. In the meantime we can enjoy the wonderful components that so many of us are fortunate to own. I just got a new pair of speakers and I am so thrilled :wink:

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #3,124 of 22,537
@vaibhavp, in India chord products are not much popular anyway because here people still are a lot more conservative . they still believe in those old dedicated CD players sounding soft and warm instead of small dac thing. newer chord dacs may sound warm but are not soft at all because of better reproduction of transients. if someone not familiar of this trait (and also not having an amp with clean treble response ) , the sound may be perceived as bright and edgy by many. I had a similar experience when I swapped a an old CD player with mojo as a source . speakers were some old JBL with volume control for each driver ( the man was into vintage stuff and vintage sound ) , that person obviously was not happy with mojo sound and he found already warm sounding mojo to be bright due extra resolution. may be it was due to amp and poor speaker set up but when I offered mojo and dt880 600 ohm combo to him, I could sense the joy from his spontaneous smile.

Apr 23, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #3,125 of 22,537
@rkt31

chord mojo is very popular in India. i met a person at headphone connect who was using it to drive his ath m50. i kid you not. had a bit limited experience i could tell by what sort of things he was getting wowed by. he even called my burson - lcd 3 combo (my burson, not lcd 3) to have truncated bass. i was amused by that.

any other chord dac has no hopes in India. whose gonna pay 1.5 lacs for hugo? not many i suppose. chord is a high end brand as is evidenced by how they priced poly. mojo is an anomaly i suppose.

am also planning to get mojo. i feel mojo has well defined instruments by lack of distortion, not transients. only thing i agree from chord marketing is lack of distortion. attaching my burson to it filters out a lot of mojo magic. but since my primary hp is hd700 which is hard to drive, mojo standalone is unable to provide all details its capable of. so using burson is a must. becomes very clear on a to b swaping. hugo standalone can perhaps do it justice but not spending that much. would rather get mojo and switch to iems.

Apr 23, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #3,126 of 22,537
I use dt880 600 ohm with mojo and believe me I never felt mojo could not drive it effectively. I think if it drives dt880 600ohm so well , it should drive hd700 too . frankly speaking i was not much into headphone listening prior to hguo and mojo but since both these have the facility of driving headphones too directly, I bought dt880 600 ohm based on the reviews that dt880 are flat response headphones.

Apr 23, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #3,127 of 22,537
To slaphead, sorry mate can't find one of your threads but say someone bought a state of the art studio what do they record it too, rather than reel to reel would they record the music on a disc or could it be a hard drive? I also don't understand what a eight or sixteen track means, is that say fifteen instruments being recorded separately and one for the vocals

@Slaphead
 can give you the best answer about how recording is done in practice, but I think that you are starting to visualise the concept.

Getting recording artists together to produce the original 'tracks' can be costly (imagine a recording combining 100 musicians, plus a large choir) so you would want to record as much data as you can on the day, and then you can edit the data 'at leisure' so to speak.

For a studio recording you could want one track per instrument, plus one per vocalist, and then you can add effects such as echo to each track individually, before you finally condense everything into one stereo mix. Also remember that for some albums, the instruments are recorded on one day, and the vocalists on other days, so in those cases you will want multiple tracks.

For orchestral recordings, the engineer may want to record enough tracks, so that the overall performance can be edited into various mixes, 5.1, 2.1, stereo etc - and this may require multiple microphones in several locations, with each recorded to a separate track.

So there are several reasons/needs why a recording engineer could want to use multiple tracks - Slaphead is the expert regarding the practicality of satisfying those needs.

Whoa - easy fellas. I do production, mostly electronic, which means I very rarely go anywhere near a microphone, or a real instrument for that matter. So I'm not a recording expert.

That said miketlse is pretty much there in principle, but as with everything involved in music, recording is an art form in itself and things will vary depending on the needs of the production, and the feeling that the artists want to portray. Some bands will go to the sound booths so that each individual part is recorded a purely as possible, others will mike up all the instruments and then record playing as a band which will mean that tracks will bleed into each other somewhat giving a kind of live feel.

paul2qute. Unless there is real desire to record to analogue tape, pretty much everything will be recorded direct to computer using a DAW such as Logic Pro, Cubase, or ProTools at the highest bit depth and sample rate afforded by the audio interfaces - probably 32bit 192KHz these days.

If you guys a really curious as to how it's done there are hundreds of videos on you tube showing you how to mike up various instruments - just go to you tube and do a search on "miking" then the instrument you're interested in.

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #3,128 of 22,537
@rkt31

come to mojo thread if you wanna discuss any further.

out of mojo i find hd700 to lack in soundstage depth and microdetail and texture and resolution.

with burson in chain lot of details gets resolved. vocals are loaded with details. image is completely alive. no stiffness like mojo standalone. volume wise its very loud. but hd700 gets very loud out of anything with hp jack.

you should try different combinations to see capabilities of mojo.

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #3,129 of 22,537
I can see many of you are frustrated because of the delays to production. However I wish you all could see the disruption that has been caused to the UK's electronics components distribution networks by distributors hedging their bets and running down reducing component stocks as a direct consequence of Brexit. Please understand we are doing everything possible to get production rolling as fast as possible. Fortunately we are actually less affected than many other UK based audio manufactures that have pushed back programs well over six months.

Thanks for the update John.

Patience is a virtue. I just hope Chord don't rush or compromise Hugo 2 production in an effort to appease those complaining and waiting impatiently. Please Chord don't release it until it's ready and as good as it can be. My pre-order won't be cancelled. I'm happy to wait for good things.

Apr 23, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #3,132 of 22,537
Local dealer in China told me the Hugo 2 will be available in July...Bad news!
Maybe I'll purchase a second hand Mojo for the two boring months.

AK480 may be out by then IF it is amounted next month in Munich's HighEnd show ! Hurry CHORD !

Apr 23, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #3,133 of 22,537
Blaming the delay almost half a year (from Jan-->April-->June) to Brexit seems legitimate :-D . That's it, my $1,000 deposit had been held captive long enough. I'm asking my dealer to give it back on Monday.

We all sh realize by now that June isn't a concrete estimate either.

I already did this, had my 1k deposit down on a pre order got my refund already. Was really hyped to be honest was the only good looking size system I could find that fits a desktop enviroment really well and takes up very minimal space compared to others. But then I hear end of April, ok no problem, then may, June now July maybe.

I'm just going to pick up a Mytek Brooklyn to replace my mojo or a Schiit Jotunheim to pair with my mojo and re visit the whole hugo 2 thing closer to release date.

That envolves not checking this thread anymore either as it's just turned into a bunch of fluff as very few have actually heard it or spent quality time with it, there's no reviews I can find so until it releases or someone reviews it I personally think this thread should just die because it's honestly turning into meaningless ***** right now.

Catch you all when it's reviewed or releases :) until then I'm unsubbing from this thread.

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #3,134 of 22,537
Whoa - easy fellas. I do production, mostly electronic, which means I very rarely go anywhere near a microphone, or a real instrument for that matter. So I'm not a recording expert.

That said miketlse is pretty much there in principle, but as with everything involved in music, recording is an art form in itself and things will vary depending on the needs of the production, and the feeling that the artists want to portray. Some bands will go to the sound booths so that each individual part is recorded a purely as possible, others will mike up all the instruments and then record playing as a band which will mean that tracks will bleed into each other somewhat giving a kind of live feel.

paul2qute. Unless there is real desire to record to analogue tape, pretty much everything will be recorded direct to computer using a DAW such as Logic Pro, Cubase, or ProTools at the highest bit depth and sample rate afforded by the audio interfaces - probably 32bit 192KHz these days.

If you guys a really curious as to how it's done there are hundreds of videos on you tube showing you how to mike up various instruments - just go to you tube and do a search on "miking" then the instrument you're interested in.
OK mate will do cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back