Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 29, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #2,386 of 22,475

I'm still back on your "duck and roast potatoes" post wanting to hear more about the recipe involved.  Your posts, like your taste in music (and now food) are always interesting, reminiscent of Mython's input.  I like wine but love a fresh pint of Guinness or an India Pale Ale micro with heavy hop aroma with rare steak and potato.  

I am hoping to hear an estimate  arrival date for Hugo 2 sales in the U.S.    

We are in Switzerland April 3 through April 7.  Methinks it won't arrive here in New England prior to flight take off, but it would be fun to return home to it!   (Imagine having a 13 hour flight to test a new Hugo 2 out!?!)

After a New Year's Eve resolution, I have not had cake, ice cream, cookies, etc and now my wife is talking about Swiss chocolate, Swiss ice cream...

I best steer the conversation back to musical testing of Hugo 2 away from 'duck a la orange'?  (yes, I want to know how you cooked the duck breast and potatoes) .  

I have added Carmina Burana to the list of first hours with Hugo 2.  
Fleetwood Mac's "Sara" for soundstage. 
Stevie Wonder's bass lines
Sgt. Pepper's ---just because I must.  
Swan Lake--we are attending the ballet this weekend, so this will be fun on the demo, too.  
Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes for horn section.  
Dylan for raspy indiscernible vocal.  

I promised to reply, but it has taken me a couple of days longer than expected.

Sad to say Chord are emailing distributors today, to say that the first Hugo 2 will be available at end April - so sadly your trip to Switzerland is a few weeks too early to use one on the flight. 
frown.gif

Here in France, us expats are surrounded by good cheapish wine, but good beers are in short supply. Many of my friends are Irish, so they know which bars sell a good pint of Guinness or craft beer - a rare pleasure to be enjoyed. The worst beers are labelled 'pression' and are little more than carbonated caramel water containing half a percent alcohol - best to abstain completely.

Ducks are reared in their millions for Foie Gras, so the duck breasts are a plentiful side product.
I had turkey breast on Saturday, then duck breast on Sunday, both simply roasted in the oven, with some oven chips. I had discovered a carton of coconut milk, so I added some cumin and frozen peas, and then added some chopped parsley from the garden at the last minute. An interesting sauce, which will prove the base for some future experimentation with ingredients, possibly next weekend. The wine was http://www.wine-searcher.com/wine-6013-2007-baron-d-ardeuil-vieilles-vignes-buzet-france , an interesting find, full of fruit but with all the tannins disappeared after ten years. Only 6 euros as well, normally I would expect to pay several times this price for such a vintage.

Back to music. I do enjoy reading other peoples posts about good tracks or artists.
I visit two mediatheques, one in my town and one at work (which must contain many tens of thousands of CDs aquired during the past three decades). I do enjoy visiting the work mediatheque once or twice a week, both for a dinnertime walk, but mostly for the chance to browse through all those racks of CDs, and select my 5 to borrow. It does feel like being a kid in a sweetstore, so any forum posts about artists/tracks do give me some pointers for CDs to search for. Even so I do try and select one or two CDs from completely new (to me) artists or genres, as a way of trying to discover new music/enjoyment.
When I listen to all this music, I am always trying both to identify if I enjoy the artist/music reproduced through the Mojo, plus also if the CD could be useful for testing the Hugo 2.
So many of the tracks on my Hugo 2 tracks thread have passed both of these selection criteria.

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #2,389 of 22,475
Most of us have S-Class audio systems already, I think we're just eager to see a new toy :gs1000smile:

I think we are all keen to get to play with the Hugo 2 and Poly, so some frustration at the delays is inevitable.

I was just pointing out that complaining will achieve nothing - most of the root causes are not Chords fault (eg supply chain) so complaining to Chord will not solve any of those root causes.
Like the film, if complaining will solve nothing, then say nothing, and grin and bear it. :xf_eek:

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #2,390 of 22,475
I think we are all keen to get to play with the Hugo 2 and Poly, so some frustration at the delays is inevitable.

I was just pointing out that complaining will achieve nothing - most of the root causes are not Chords fault (eg supply chain) so complaining to Chord will not solve any of those root causes.
Like the film, if complaining will solve nothing, then say nothing, and grin and bear it.
redface.gif

Definitely agree. But it would be interesting to hear from Rob if it's true something is getting improved and if you can share what that is? This is only a good thing ! @Rob Watts

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #2,391 of 22,475
Definitely agree. But it would be interesting to hear from Rob if it's true something is getting improved and if you can share what that is? This is only a good thing ! @Rob Watts

RW finished his code updates at the start of the month, and had no spare FPGA memory to add new functionality, so I doubt the 'improvements' relate to code.
That only leaves physical hardware improvements, and JF gave no hint of any, in his posts of the weekend.
Only the supply chain issues for the Poly were confirmed, plus a comment that the Hugo 2 was unaffected 'for now'.

So I am mystified what these improvements can be, especially to stop production and delay the eis, at such a late date.
It is always possible that the improvements that Jason referred to, are one month old news on this thread.

I am sure that Rob or John will elaborate soon enough.

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #2,392 of 22,475
RW finished his code updates at the start of the month, and had no spare FPGA memory to add new functionality, so I doubt the 'improvements' relate to code.
That only leaves physical hardware improvements, and JF gave no hint of any, in his posts of the weekend.
Only the supply chain issues for the Poly were confirmed, plus a comment that the Hugo 2 was unaffected 'for now'.

So I am mystified what these improvements can be, especially to stop production and delay the eis, at such a late date.
It is always possible that the improvements that Jason referred to, are one month old news on this thread.

I am sure that Rob or John will elaborate soon enough.

Yes! So to avoid lots of posts that involve guessing I thought I'd ask Rob directly! He's pretty straight forward. Let's see.

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #2,393 of 22,475
I agree. I'm not sure why the delay but I understand Rob has or had a plan to slightly improve the unit and as all best laid plans, delays happen.

Well then, I can wait.  Wonder what he came up with.  If it's important enough to pre-empt the launch, it's worth a few extra weeks.  And I still have Hugo1 which is still no slouch.

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #2,394 of 22,475
I think Rob was getting too many demands...finally said to John
'I'm done for a few yrs!..let's delay the launch a bit...
i'm squeezing a DAVE into the HUGO2
...forget about a price increase: we'll sell a gazillion of them this way....
i'm finally to retire to my island with a few yachts..
...and with both Ginger and Maryanne at my side.'' 
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #2,395 of 22,475
  I think Rob was getting too many demands...finally said to John
'I'm done!..delay the launch a bit...i'm squeezing a DAVE into the HUGO2
...forget about a price increase: we'll sell a gazillion of them this way....
i'm finally to retire to my island with a few yachts..
...and with both Ginger and Maryanne at my side.'' 
wink.gif

Maybe he's the proffessor!

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #2,397 of 22,475
You know what'd be really really really sweet? If it really is an upgrade worth while like adding a 1/4 inch to 3.5mm adapter.......

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #2,400 of 22,475

Like the film, if complaining will solve nothing, then say nothing, and grin and bear it.
redface.gif

No nothing being improved. Production code was issued late Feb 17, and no issues have been reported.

My guess is it's supply chain issues - a perennial headache for electronics. Having said that, the design from my side had some issues that took time to resolve and that's the primary reason it's late. I am never happy with "it's good enough" it has to be as close to perfection that the design, cost constraints and my knowledge allows - and close to perfection takes time....

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back