Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 12, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #1,503 of 22,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by musickid 

hi hermitsden,

"I’m hoping Hugo2 can bridge the gap closer." 

can you give some detail here. im thinking of upgrading to hugo2 in september

I haven’t heard Hugo2 myself; however, there are lots of feedbacks in last few pages regarding to your question above. I was enchanted or intoxicated by DAVE when I compared it with TT last year. Since Hugo2 has 10-element pulse-array and 49k taps (vs. 4-element and 26k taps of TT), it shall have better potential of sounding better. The included remote control will be a nice addition for desk-top usage as well. And better yet, the future add-on module, like Poly, possibly to enhance various connections including M-scaler hopefully. Therefore, it might be a poor-man’s DAVE, a portable disruptive technology in DAC like Mojo.

But if someone needs the balanced output then he has to wait for TT2 or go to DAVE directly. 

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #1,504 of 22,546
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLFJBuX1zj0

good section of this video compares the hugo1 with the new hugo2 and shows the remote that will be shipped with it.

chord related talk starts around the 8:45 mark...
hugo 2 at 9:20

what i might do: sell chord mojo/extender kit (not used much) and ifi micro idsd/purifier 2
...keep my wonderful dragonfly red for walk around portable use
(fab little device)...use the hugo 2 for when i'm at my work desk/home
or in some cafe etc for an extended period of time (if quiet enough)

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #1,505 of 22,546
  Quote:
Originally Posted by musickid 

hi hermitsden,

"I’m hoping Hugo2 can bridge the gap closer." 

can you give some detail here. im thinking of upgrading to hugo2 in september

I haven’t heard Hugo2 myself; however, there are lots of feedbacks in last few pages regarding to your question above. I was enchanted or intoxicated by DAVE when I compared it with TT last year. Since Hugo2 has 10-element pulse-array and 49k taps (vs. 4-element and 26k taps of TT), it shall have better potential of sounding better. The included remote control will be a nice addition for desk-top usage as well. And better yet, the future add-on module, like Poly, possibly to enhance various connections including M-scaler hopefully. Therefore, it might be a poor-man’s DAVE, a portable disruptive technology in DAC like Mojo.

But if someone needs the balanced output then he has to wait for TT2 or go to DAVE directly. 

Today the main advantages of the TT over the Hugo 2, are Bluetooth, supercapacitors, and balanced outputs.

Once the 2Go module is released, presumably that will include Bluetooth. If you don't need balanced outputs, then the TT has only the advantage of the supercapacitors.

The update to the TT will provide Chord with the opportunity to add elements, taps and we can only imagine what other rabbits that they will pull out of the hat. 

Mar 12, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #1,507 of 22,546
Is John Franks and Rob watts on holiday in the Bahamas or are they waiting for the official launch to answer everyone's questions?

they do come on here to answer questions...and are currently, i believe, at the canjam show.

you can always pm them yourself...both gents have always gotten back to me within a few days to a week, despite being busy.

Mar 12, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #1,508 of 22,546
hey do come on here to answer questions...and are, i believe, at the current canjam show.

you can always pm them yourself...both gents have always gotten back to me within a few days, despite being busy.
It's OK I'm sure they are very busy just haven't seen Rob watts much on here.Don't think it would go down to well if I told them I love them more than my Mrs

Mar 12, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #1,509 of 22,546
Today the main advantages of the TT over the Hugo 2, are Bluetooth, supercapacitors, and balanced outputs.

Once the 2Go module is released, presumably that will include Bluetooth. If you don't need balanced outputs, then the TT has only the advantage of the supercapacitors.

The update to the TT will provide Chord with the opportunity to add elements, taps and we can only imagine what other rabbits that they will pull out of the hat. 
both hugo1 and Hugo2 already have bluetooth aptx.....hugo2 should have enlarged range over hugo1 almost like tt

Mar 12, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #1,510 of 22,546
Is John Franks and Rob watts on holiday in the Bahamas or are they waiting for the official launch to answer everyone's questions?

They posted a few days ago that the team was flying to Singapore for the canjam, with production Hugo 2s, so I imagine they have been busy. However during previous events, jet lag can make it difficult to sleep at night, so JF and RW do sometimes spend half an hour posting replies to questions.

Mar 12, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #1,511 of 22,546
both hugo1 and Hugo2 already have bluetooth aptx.....hugo2 should have enlarged range over hugo1 almost like tt

Oops, in that case you are just left with super capacitors and balanced outputs.

I do wish that Hugo 2 had supercapacitors as well, but I do feel a bit greedy, considering all the other functionality that it already has. :D

Mar 12, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #1,512 of 22,546
They posted a few days ago that the team was flying to Singapore for the canjam, with production Hugo 2s, so I imagine they have been busy. However during previous events, jet lag can make it difficult to sleep at night, so JF and RW do sometimes spend half an hour posting replies to questions.
I lived in Singapore with my dad's job for 2 and a half years, we were there in 1981 and even then they were well ahead of the game, fixed your watch while you waited, photos same day, fantastic place and fantastic ppl, so respectable

Mar 12, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #1,513 of 22,546
I lived in Singapore with my dad's job for 2 and a half years, we were there in 1981 and even then they were well ahead of the game, fixed your watch while you waited, photos same day, fantastic place and fantastic ppl, so respectable

One of my friends moved there a couple of years ago because of work. He posts regularly on FB, and the move seems to have reduced his age by 10 years, and given him unlimited energy.

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #1,514 of 22,546
Oops, in that case you are just left with super capacitors and balanced outputs.

I do wish that Hugo 2 had supercapacitors as well, but I do feel a bit greedy, considering all the other functionality that it already has. :D
I think supercapacitors are there non for sonics but because tt is intended for desktop use only and therefore always connected to the wall...I read some where that if Chord should release tt today it should be with swiching power technology and with no batteries at all...this should be with my regrets...I think that battrry suplly leads to unbeateable performances and the user have not to worry about power cables:smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back