Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 12, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #1,531 of 22,467
  the one thing that does hold me from placing an order is the lack of balanced imputs.
and yes i understand why: small form factor, portable oriented, not so much designed to be used as a more robust TT rig.
(but many of us will use it as our TT rig)
just reading good things on balanced imputs, too, for many cans (about to get some new Sony Z1Rs)
....decisions....

No need to worry about balanced when single ended is done properly.

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #1,532 of 22,467
Oops, in that case you are just left with super capacitors and balanced outputs.

I do wish that Hugo 2 had supercapacitors as well, but I do feel a bit greedy, considering all the other functionality that it already has.
biggrin.gif

You're forgetting a biggie: galvanic isolation with the TT.

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #1,534 of 22,467
So why is DSD now used vs DoP? Opinions seem to change.  I have built balanced systems and it wasn't to overcome some problem but what it did was open up the sound, layering and 3D even more. But I will agree that well done SE can be excellent as evidenced with the micro Zotl headphone amp. 

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #1,535 of 22,467
  So why is DSD now used vs DoP? Opinions seem to change.  I have built balanced systems and it wasn't to overcome some problem but what it did was open up the sound, layering and 3D even more. But I will agree that well done SE can be excellent as evidenced with the micro Zotl headphone amp. 

DoP is DSD, just wrapped in a PCM container so that USB protocols can be bypassed as there really is no standard for USB and DSD without a driver. Many USB devices simply won't pass on DSD without a driver so DoP (DSD over PCM - not converted to PCM) was created to fool the USB interface to think it's passing on PCM. When the DAC sees the DoP signal it plays the identical DSD data as the original DSD file.

Regarding why the Hugo2 supports native DSD it seems like many may have been requesting this feature for non-DoP capable sources.

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #1,537 of 22,467
Does the Dave or Hugo 2 handle DSD through DoP differently than the Mojo? Or is the only difference it's ability to accept native DSD over USB without the need for DoP?

The DAVE handles Native DSD and DoP but it's input dependent. I'm not sure about the Hugo2 but I would presume it's the same. Would be good for Chord to confirm.

Mar 13, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #1,538 of 22,467
Elac speakers are highly regarded. I haven't heard them, but they have passive and active options well within your budget, depending on your needs: http://elac.com/

You can find some at Amazon, too. Google around for reviews. If you are using any dac with speakers, and particularly if you are powering with an external amp, the amp/speaker coloration is going to be far more important than which dac you choose, though the better the dac, the better!

I second this notion. I have the ELAC BS 244. I auditioned and compared them to the KEF LS50 as they were in the same price range a few years ago, the LS50s sound great...very neutral and transparent (could just as easily be a happy camper with them) as if they belong in a studio for reference. But the ELACs had deeper bass extension (larger than I would have expected from bookshelves) and I preferred the characteristics of the ribbon tweeter, more detailed and lively, definitely for me more fun and yet still balanced. This is possibly due to the diminished distortion of ribbon tweeters due to their efficiency. If you get to hear decent ribbon tweeters you will get what I mean about their characteristics compared to dome tweeters of various materials. With the 2qute they deliver the soundstage in a very holographic manner when positioned correctly (a friend said it is like getting his ears massaged). The LS50s have a wider field of dispersal of the high ends, partly because of the traits of dome tweeters and how they engineered the speaker, better for more wiggle room depending on where you are located in the room. This is one minor disadvantage of ribbon tweeters, even though the ELACs are better than most, correct positioning gets you something extra special. I still enjoy them when I lie down, but that is why the Hugo 2 will be great with headphones for the complete lying down experience.  

Mar 13, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #1,539 of 22,467

Elac speakers are highly regarded. I haven't heard them, but they have passive and active options well within your budget, depending on your needs: http://elac.com/

You can find some at Amazon, too. Google around for reviews. If you are using any dac with speakers, and particularly if you are powering with an external amp, the amp/speaker coloration is going to be far more important than which dac you choose, though the better the dac, the better!

I second this notion. I have the ELAC BS 244. I auditioned and compared them to the KEF LS50 as they were in the same price range a few years ago, the LS50s sound great...very neutral and transparent (could just as easily be a happy camper with them) as if they belong in a studio for reference. But the ELACs had deeper bass extension (larger than I would have expected from bookshelves) and I preferred the characteristics of the ribbon tweeter, more detailed and lively, definitely for me more fun and yet still balanced. This is possibly due to the diminished distortion of ribbon tweeters due to their efficiency. If you get to hear decent ribbon tweeters you will get what I mean about their characteristics compared to dome tweeters of various materials. With the 2qute they deliver the soundstage in a very holographic manner when positioned correctly (a friend said it is like getting his ears massaged). The LS50s have a wider field of dispersal of the high ends, partly because of the traits of dome tweeters and how they engineered the speaker, better for more wiggle room depending on where you are located in the room. This is one minor disadvantage of ribbon tweeters, even though the ELACs are better than most, correct positioning gets you something extra special. I still enjoy them when I lie down, but that is why the Hugo 2 will be great with headphones for the complete lying down experience.  

very helpful; thank you, all.  I have the suggestions all in the amazon cart and am now doing the homework.  Thank you all for pointing us in the right direction.  

Mar 13, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #1,541 of 22,467
I was interested in the Hugo until I read that the batteries are non user replaceable.  A $2000+ device with batteries that absolutely will fail and I can't replace them?  You know how many pieces of expensive junk I have around that the batteries are no good any more?  This constant idea that manufactures make devices with non serviceable batteries is incredibly stupid.  I expect cheep junk to be made like that, not a $2k item, yah, when it fails, I have to send it pack to the factory and what's that going to cost?

Mar 13, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #1,542 of 22,467
I was interested in the Hugo until I read that the batteries are non user replaceable.  A $2000+ device with batteries that absolutely will fail and I can't replace them?  You know how many pieces of expensive junk I have around that the batteries are no good any more?  This constant idea that manufactures make devices with non serviceable batteries is incredibly stupid.  I expect cheep junk to be made like that, not a $2k item, yah, when it fails, I have to send it pack to the factory and what's that going to cost?
Then best for you not to buy it and be happy.

Mar 13, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #1,543 of 22,467
Another question for discussion which fascinates me:

Some DAVE owners like Mojo!

Some so accustomed to DAVE that Mojo is all but lost to them; no interest. 

Anyone think that Hugo 2 might make Mojo of no consequence ?    I love Mojo and have Hugo 2 on order.  Mojo did cause me to sell other DACs...it took some hours of listening to but with very familiar music, the downgrade of a different DAC was...well, it was just not so much fun and we sold them.  

I recognize in Jude's video he said that Hugo 2 is not DAVE, but is "the closest thing to a portable DAVE" which is, for lots of us, very exciting.   

Anyone think Hugo 2 is going to spoil all else for you?

Mar 13, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #1,544 of 22,467
Regarding the remote control, do we know if it is infrared? I have a Philips Pronto programmable remote control that I would like to use to power on an amplifier and the Hugo 2 with the same button. Hopefully it's not RF. Presumably the Hugo 2 can be powered on and off from the remote?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back