Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 2, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #601 of 22,537

looking forward to hearing how it sounds...
esp if someone can bring their own mojo or hugo along
for a side to side comparison.

I will be around with my mojo this weekend as I'm sure others will.  More importantly, I'm sure Chord will have the full lineup for you to compare.

Lol, I quote Rob for reference so that when I try to help the million+1 questions asked the reader can be more confident I'm not talking nonsense from just my opinion.

Yes, they said the design goal would be equivalent performance between Mojo and Hugo. I'm not offended by any discrepancy at all between the two devices. I simply don't like when it's implied that fans of Rob's work are mindless. Users have expressed their own opinion on the matter, seperate from what performance has been implied, which is what I was expressing.

And you are awesome for it.  I've benefitted.  I don't personally have an opinion on the matter due to lack of time with the hugo.  I was influenced by my dealer preferring the mojo, Rob's words around here and the $$$ when I made my decision.  Listening to some RS1is and PS1000s at the time, I kind of liked the mojo a little more, but it was really close.  I'm sure it is phone-and-preference-dependent.  The Hugo2 has the potential to create real separation from mojo & hugo with additional processing power.  It has the best of all worlds in sound tuning with the filters.  I'm psyched.

I love the size of the mojo and don't want to part with it.  That will make it a little tough to drop the money on the Hugo2, but I'm prepared to, if it is necessary.  I'm a "believer" and would like to have a chord dac take a full time spot in my living room.

edit:  something that has been on my mind.  It seems like the power increase only impacts the lower impedance headphones which will be great for my Grados but it will have the same 94mW into 300Ω for my Senns.  That's cool, I don't have a problem with HD600s and my mojo, but if there is anywhere I'd like to try out more power, it would be into those cans.  Am I correct here or is there just a typo somewhere?

I have the PS1000Es and am looking forward to trying that roll-off filter to tame the highs just a bit.  And I don't know exactly  how much of a power increase there'll be, but I can't wait to see if my LCD-Xs scale up a bit.  No matter how good the sound is, there always seems to be a bit of improvement with the Xs even if it's a cable change.  Great times ahead!

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #602 of 22,537
Does anyone (especially Rob?) know how much burn-in Hugo units require until they sound their best? 

In other words, if I bring my much-loved Hugo 1 to an audio shop to compare to their Hugo 2, what are the chances I'm hearing a Hugo 2 that is sounding far from its best? 

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #603 of 22,537
Waiting to read your impressions. I think it will be a nice dac.
I only find 1 problem, if it is more focused as an stationary device than Hugo1 why the digital coaxial connection must be done through and adpator and not with a normal RCA coaxial cable as was in the Hugo 1 ??? I don't want to connect a precision machine like that with a poor adaptor or an special cable :frowning2:
As I will connect my streamer with a coaxial cable (and my Mac through USB) it is the only point it dissappoint me and perhaps the reason I will buy or not.

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #604 of 22,537
Waiting to read your impressions. I think it will be a nice dac.
I only find 1 problem, if it is more focused as an stationary device than Hugo1 why the digital coaxial connection must be done through and adpator and not with a normal RCA coaxial cable as was in the Hugo 1 ??? I don't want to connect a precision machine like that with a poor adaptor or an special cable :frowning2:
As I will connect my streamer with a coaxial cable (and my Mac through USB) it is the only point it dissappoint me and perhaps the reason I will buy or not.
Why you say the Hugo 2 is more of a "stationary device" ?

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #605 of 22,537
Why you say the Hugo 2 is more of a "stationary device" ?

In my opinion the facts that the headphone output is powerful, battery last less hours and some comments about the design as well that now we have the Mojo
I would use Hugo in my main amplifier with loudspeakers or in my desk with a computer and headphones etc..
This is for me what I want the Hugo. For running,gym etc I would use Mojo not Hugo.
This is for me the difference of the concept portable and transportable and why I prefer real USB and coaxial entries instead micro or use coax adaptors

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #606 of 22,537
I expressed the same disappointment for the minijack digital coaxal in many posts ago.....anyhow should i sell my hugo for new H2 i think i'll solder a mail minijack to my digital cable to replace the original rca...

Feb 3, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #607 of 22,537
I assume that will be some cables with RCA/minijack but most of them are quite cheap and bad. But it is sad you can not use some good Digital Coaxial cables finished with RCAs connexions as the standard (or good USB cables, not micro-USB).
In my opinion Hugo have sense if you can use it in your main system (connected to an streamer/amplifier/loudspeakers) as well in your desk (connected to your PC and using headphones), or in your couch with a laptop and headphones, or connected to a phone, etc...
I think it is one of the very few Dac/Head. ampl. that can do that and quite well. I think their succes is basically for their versatility and quality. Having the Mojo I found less sense to use it in "train, plains..." 
bigsmile_face.gif

With those non "audiophile standard" connexions it adds some difficulties to optimize the sonic chain in my opinion and for my personal use.

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #608 of 22,537
any wadia owners out there?
my bud just got the new Wadia 122.
http://www.wadia.com/en-us/products/di122
wants me to get one of those vs the more pricey hugo2
says Wadia was one of the pioneers of DACs.....
he once had a US$70k system: shindo tube amp, sonus faber speakers etc

hopefully some wadia owners can compare it with the hugo 2.
decisions....i'm sure either way i can go wrong, however
or with schiit.

actually he's also into 'get a streamer for now... auralic aries or micro rendu/lps caps1'
and to just keep what i have mojo or dragofly red for can/iems and focal alpha 50 powered speakers.

Feb 4, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #609 of 22,537
Anyone here who have tried the Hugo 2 yet? Love to hear your impression!

Feb 4, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #610 of 22,537
  Anyone here who have tried the Hugo 2 yet? Love to hear your impression!

It is not in final production yet, but some posters were lucky to hear the pre-production version in use at CES, and hopefully this weekend at NYcamjam.
jude has also posted the CES part 1 video, in which it is clear that he likes the Hugo 2.

Feb 4, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #611 of 22,537
I got a chance to play with the hugo 2 today at canjam....tough to really listen critically at these shows due to all the noise but it looks like a very nice update....

Feb 4, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #613 of 22,537
Man.  I'll say that Chord is absolutely fearless.  I can't think of any other manufacturers that bring in entry-level (mojo) and entry-mid-level (hugo 2) devices in this fashion.

The hugo2 is stunning.  I spent about 20 minutes with hugo2 and a few with Dave--I didn't want to spoil myself, and made sure I listened to hugo2 first..  Dave has a presence.

To be honest.  In the time I spent in sub-optimal conditions and other disclaimers, etc, etc.  The difference between the mojo and hugo2 is bigger than the difference between the hugo2 and Dave.

Mic Drop.

Feb 4, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #614 of 22,537
Feb 4, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #615 of 22,537
Man.  I'll say that Chord is absolutely fearless.  I can't think of any other manufacturers that bring in entry-level (mojo) and entry-mid-level (hugo 2) devices in this fashion.

The hugo2 is stunning.  I spent about 20 minutes with hugo2 and a few with Dave--I didn't want to spoil myself, and made sure I listened to hugo2 first..  Dave has a presence.

To be honest.  In the time I spent in sub-optimal conditions and other disclaimers, etc, etc.  The difference between the mojo and hugo2 is bigger than the difference between the hugo2 and Dave.

Mic Drop.

Darn...So much for my wish of a 'buy one get one for 50% off" deal... :sunglasses:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back