Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 1, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #586 of 22,546
Found a nice article on the Hugo 2. Use the built in translator in Chrome or Firefox to translate it to English. It's a good read and has some beautiful photos. The next couple pages lead to Poly and Blu.

http://www.itmedia.co.jp/lifestyle/articles/1701/12/news053.html

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #587 of 22,546
May have missed it, but does the Hugo 2 have Bluetooth AptxHD and can it receive from smartphone (Tidal/Spotify etc.)

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #588 of 22,546
  May have missed it, but does the Hugo 2 have Bluetooth AptxHD and can it receive from smartphone (Tidal/Spotify etc.)

According to the specs on the site, it has Apt-X. Maybe @Mojo ideas can update the Hugo 2 before it is released?This way It can have Apt X HD which supports Hi-Res audio and better PCM playback than the orginal algorithm.

And yes Apt-X works with Tidal and Spotify I have been using it with the Hugo.

Feb 1, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #589 of 22,546
Hi x RELIC x, thanks for the other post where you referenced Rob as to why re-clocking to reduced jitter. I trust the clocking powers of the Hugo taking Rob's words.

I replied with a thanks days back but it got sent to moderators days ago for having a youtube link to Hans Beekhuyezen explaining his listening report of the microRendu's maximum benefits of the USB input on the original Hugo. Any thoughts on why, if he is to be taken on his word which I trust as it seems to optimise a few problem areas. Is reclocking the same as reshaping? I could be way out of my depth here :)

From that we can say it is less its clocking but most likely its RF noise mitigation (maybe cause of its power supply, galvanic isolation or something else?) on the analogue section.

Does Bluetooth open up RF interference. Maybe it goes with the territory? So maybe for desktop tweaking the USB stream is still an option I want to understand.

Anyone further know how for us newbs to help minimise RF noise besided galvanic isolation to lower noise floor when going USB if a recovery's clocking help seems superflous? I may be susceptible to not recognising a harder sound...I can only try.

Lastly, still no updates on actual info on the Bluetooth....apt X HD confirmable Rob or John?

I have no idea why your post was moderated.

Reshaping, as is noise shaping, as in dither? Reshaping is not the same as jitter. You can read about noise shaping here - LINK -. Jitter is solely a timing issue from the source to the DAC, not a noise issue.

I have no experience with the microrendu so I would only be guessing, really. You may want to ask your questions here in the following link as there seems to be some microrendu conversations going on, and romaz has quite a bit of experience with different sources to Chord DACs.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/787020/review-comparison-of-5-high-end-digital-music-servers-aurender-n10-cad-cat-server-totaldac-d1-server-auralic-aries-audiophile-vortex-box/735#post_13188752

Likely, yes, it would be from the rf rejection (I recently read briefly about the microrendu's noise regulators). Also, I believe one needs to be careful when reading that something is 'better'. One may like a brighter sound and one may like a smoother sound. Rob has said in his listening tests that the brighter sound is always the less accurate one due to rf noise and noise floor modulation spicing up the audio. However, many people seek out that brighter sound. Preferences that come in to play are just as valid as anything else.

Feb 2, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #591 of 22,546
If someone has bought the Hugo 2, would appreciate if there are updates on the comparison between the original Hugo and Hugo2 solely in areas of sound quality for a 2-channel home audio system. I would be interested to know about the differences in sound quality between the Hugo and Hugo2, whether it's subtle (something not worth bothering about) or appreciable (marked improvements or differences). The additional features such as filters or taps etc. won't do much if the sound quality between the devices remains fairly similar.

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #592 of 22,546
Found a nice article on the Hugo 2. Use the built in translator in Chrome or Firefox to translate it to English. It's a good read and has some beautiful photos. The next couple pages lead to Poly and Blu.

http://www.itmedia.co.jp/lifestyle/articles/1701/12/news053.html

Thanks - good article. I was amused though at the analogy between FPGA & good sound and good quality ingredients equals delicious food .......

as translated

"The benefits of programmable FPGA? Explain the difference between general purpose IC chips in a very familiar example. For example also had a reputation for delicious dumplings one night during my wife's cooking, bought at a luxury department store (DAC IC chips) and dinner (good sound) cool stuff will become. If you have fit fine minced fresh organic vegetable and the domestically produced with sweet bean paste, wrapped in the skin of the hand-made, carefully baked dumpling (DA conversion circuit with FPGA-based customized) may become more inspiring dinner (great sound). Engineer Robert Watts, to realize "good sound" If "dumplings seasoned with salt" until thoroughly obsessed with. It is at this time the quest to scrutinize each "salt 1 tablet finally arrived. Included products are the result."

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #593 of 22,546
  i have received a PM yesterday from the french distributor, asking if I wanted to pre-order.

and...

did you pre order?

I contacted two dealers to see if they were taking pre orders.  

one said, 'I'll call you back in 5 minutes."   72 hours and counting...

the other was an email...   a week ago.  

After selling my third kidney, feeling woozy, I thought I would feel better with someone, in the least, taking a deposit!  :)

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #594 of 22,546
Hi
When Hugo 2 will be available for buy?

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #596 of 22,546
Who ever said they perform on the same level? They may incorporate the same engineering design principles, but I don't think anyone has said they perform on the same level.

Not sure where your discrepancy comes from....
confused.gif

I know you are the guy to quote Rob, but he probably got that idea from inferences Rob made about similar performance out of the Mojo.  That is where I got the idea.  Seemed to be the primary design objective of the Mojo, if you listen to what Rob says.  I'm sure you can find a way to squeeze the grand canyon in between different interpretations of similar and same level and the same, etc.  You probably shouldn't be offended by his "discrepancy"
I look forward to hearing the Hugo 2 this weekend and hope that it is so good that I feel compelled to part with over $2K when I already have a Mojo.  That would be something.  
beerchug.gif

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #597 of 22,546

I know you are the guy to quote Rob, but he probably got that idea from inferences Rob made about similar performance out of the Mojo.  That is where I got the idea.  Seemed to be the primary design objective of the Mojo, if you listen to what Rob says.  I'm sure you can find a way to squeeze the grand canyon in between different interpretations of similar and same level and the same, etc.  You probably shouldn't be offended by his "discrepancy"
I look forward to hearing the Hugo 2 this weekend and hope that it is so good that I feel compelled to part with over $2K when I already have a Mojo.  That would be something.  
beerchug.gif

looking forward to hearing how it sounds...
esp if someone can bring their own mojo or hugo along
for a side to side comparison.

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #598 of 22,546
I look forward to hearing the Hugo 2 this weekend and hope that it is so good that I feel compelled to part with over $2K when I already have a Mojo.  That would be something.  :beerchug:  

Lol, I quote Rob for reference so that when I try to help the million+1 questions asked the reader can be more confident I'm not talking nonsense from just my opinion.

Yes, they said the design goal would be equivalent performance between Mojo and Hugo. I'm not offended by any discrepancy at all between the two devices. I simply don't like when it's implied that fans of Rob's work are mindless. Users have expressed their own opinion on the matter, seperate from what performance has been implied, which is what I was expressing.

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #599 of 22,546
Edit: I have zero confirmation this will be the same case for the Hugo2, but I see absolutely no reason why Rob would add a separate amp to this newest device as it would go against every other current design that he's done. The Hugo2 has lower battery life (being optimized) but more output power. This seems like a direct correlation to the slight increase in power output over Hugo1 (as well as the increased processing).

I've already found the confirmation elsewhere before (posted in this thread), but here's another, more recent one:

Originally Posted by Mojo ideas /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It sounds like a Hugo TT and TToby Amp would be perfect for you if you could stretch to it.
Unfortunately the headphone out and RCAs of Hugo2 are in parallel so cannot be independantly switched as Rob did not want Relay switching on the unit.

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #600 of 22,546
  looking forward to hearing how it sounds...
esp if someone can bring their own mojo or hugo along
for a side to side comparison.

I will be around with my mojo this weekend as I'm sure others will.  More importantly, I'm sure Chord will have the full lineup for you to compare.

Lol, I quote Rob for reference so that when I try to help the million+1 questions asked the reader can be more confident I'm not talking nonsense from just my opinion.

Yes, they said the design goal would be equivalent performance between Mojo and Hugo. I'm not offended by any discrepancy at all between the two devices. I simply don't like when it's implied that fans of Rob's work are mindless. Users have expressed their own opinion on the matter, seperate from what performance has been implied, which is what I was expressing.

And you are awesome for it.  I've benefitted.  I don't personally have an opinion on the matter due to lack of time with the hugo.  I was influenced by my dealer preferring the mojo, Rob's words around here and the $$$ when I made my decision.  Listening to some RS1is and PS1000s at the time, I kind of liked the mojo a little more, but it was really close.  I'm sure it is phone-and-preference-dependent.  The Hugo2 has the potential to create real separation from mojo & hugo with additional processing power.  It has the best of all worlds in sound tuning with the filters.  I'm psyched.

I love the size of the mojo and don't want to part with it.  That will make it a little tough to drop the money on the Hugo2, but I'm prepared to, if it is necessary.  I'm a "believer" and would like to have a chord dac take a full time spot in my living room.

edit:  something that has been on my mind.  It seems like the power increase only impacts the lower impedance headphones which will be great for my Grados but it will have the same 94mW into 300Ω for my Senns.  That's cool, I don't have a problem with HD600s and my mojo, but if there is anywhere I'd like to try out more power, it would be into those cans.  Am I correct here or is there just a typo somewhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back