Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 24, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #436 of 22,535
John/Rob,

Can any of you confirm whether or not the Bluetooth hardware/connection has been improved in the Hugo 2?  The reason I ask is because I (and many others) have experienced issues with the Bluetooth connection with the Hugo 1, and up to this day there is no official fix/solution to the problem.

Jan 24, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #438 of 22,535
The 2 go module is some way behind Poly in development. Though it's time to completion will be far shorter than Poly's as much of the original unit was had to break new ground. Please understand I'm trying to give you all enough information to indicate that something will be along soon but some of the details are still in flux. If you have a particular wish, throw it into the mix as we might well be able to accommodate it

Many thanks John. My wish for the Hugo 2 add-on is a USB input with galvanic isolation. Fingers crossed. :)

Jan 24, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #439 of 22,535
The 2 go module is some way behind Poly in development. Though it's time to completion will be far shorter than Poly's as much of the original unit was had to break new ground. Please understand I'm trying to give you all enough information to indicate that something will be along soon but some of the details are still in flux. If you have a particular wish, throw it into the mix as we might well be able to accommodate it.

My only wishes are an SD card slot, a display à la DAP, a good shuffle play algorithm and an 11-band octave equalizer from 20 to 20,480 Hz (or even better: a parametric equalizer with 5 or 6 bands). If possible a USB port with galvanic isolation.

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #441 of 22,535

My only wishes are an SD card slot, a display à la DAP, a good shuffle play algorithm and an 11-band octave equalizer from 20 to 20,480 Hz (or even better: a parametric equalizer with 5 or 6 bands). If possible a USB port with galvanic isolation.

I certainly agree regarding the SD card slot apart from a huge internal storage SSD someting that would allow lots of even hi res  music to be stored and played via it.
By huge I mean huge  capacity. Several TB at least.
I have absolutely NO need for any shuffling facilities whatsoever!
Nor any  equalizer!
I want maxiumum transparency nothing less!
I want no uneccessary circuits that could compromise transparency/ SQ
I never listen to lets say, the first movement of Beethovens 9th followed by a Strauss Waltz or whatever  shuffling would decide to play next.I strongly dislike anything of that kind. Shopping Malls use it, I don't.
I have a strong will of my own and no need for music/muzak as a background to anything else.
It really pisses me off when sometimes Audirvana or my laptop, or whatever casues an accidental jump from one track onto a completely different work happens.
Apart from the SD card slot wish, all I wish for is a possiblity to play hi res recorded music in THE HIGHEST POSSIBLE quality without the drawbacks of using my laptop.
The USB port WITH galvanic isolation is not so much a wish as an expectation.
That it has been omitted on HUGO 2  obviously for commercial reasons,is a real disappointment imho.

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #442 of 22,535
The 2 go module is some way behind Poly in development. Though it's time to completion will be far shorter than Poly's as much of the original unit was had to break new ground. Please understand I'm trying to give you all enough information to indicate that something will be along soon but some of the details are still in flux. If you have a particular wish, throw it into the mix as we might well be able to accommodate it

For a 'Poly' or multi agnostic usage I would add:
1. RJ45 Ethernet port
2. USB galvanically isolated port.
Thanks.

Jan 25, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #443 of 22,535
As I will not use the Hugo2 in "train, plane, bus...", but only inside house as a main DAC in my amplifier/loudspeakers system or "portable" to my desk/ etc. to hear with a MacBook and headphones (this is for me the concept "portable") I would like to have for a Poly:

1. RJ45 ethernet port to access my music stored in my NAS and if posible hear Spotify/Tidal OR good Wifi access
2. USB galvanically isolated port to connect a computer. Not a micro-USB but a normal USB + a micro-USB for phones...
3. A "normal" RCA digital input (to connect a streamer, CD..)
4. An USB HDD connection OR a SD-reader with high capacity cards.

I don't like the micro-USB on the Hugo2 and specially the need for an adaptor for the digital coaxial input. I could understand the micro-USB to connect phones, etc.. but not the need of a coaxial digital adapter.
I would also like a more powerful headphones connection, to use even with high impedance headphones. Better than the actual Hugo.

Thanks

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #444 of 22,535

A little curious why there is no bright filter 
frown.gif

What would a bright filter do? Surely that's the Ultimate Reference? (it will sound bright with some poor recordings/masterings) or with bright headphones/speakers.

Jan 25, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #446 of 22,535

I certainly agree regarding the SD card slot apart from a huge internal storage SDD someting that would allow lots of even hi res  music to be stored and played via it.
By huge I mean huge  capacity. Several TB at least.
I have absolutely NO need for any shuffling facilities whatsoever!
Nor any  equalizer!
I want maxiumum transparency nothing less!
I want no uneccessary circuits that could compromise transparency/ SQ
I never listen to lets say, the first movement of Beethovens 9th followed by a Strauss Waltz or whatever  shuffling would decide to play next.I strongly dislike anything of that kind. Shopping Malls use it, I don't.
I have a strong will of my own and no need for music/muzak as a background to anything else.
It really pisses me off when sometimes Audirvana or my laptop, or whatever casues an accidental jump from one track onto a completely different work happens.
Apart from the SD card slot wish, all I wish for is a possiblity to play hi res recorded music in THE HIGHEST POSSIBLE quality without the drawbacks of using my laptop.
The USB port WITH galvanic isolation is not so much a wish as an expectation.
That it has been omitted on HUGO 2  obviously for commercial reasons,is a real disappointment imho.

Hi Christer

It's nice of you to put my wishes down – telling John they're not worth of being realized. I certainly don't have the least interest in having my proposals valued on an ideological basis by anybody.

I like shuffle play because I like to be surprised. All tracks on my SD card comprise music I like, so Beethoven's 9th symphony is missing, as is Beethoven generally. Also, I don't listen to Muzak.

Like you, I'm interested in highest possible sound quality. In contrast to you I consider equalizing an essential tool for that: No sound transducer is neutral and flat, even your famous electrostatic speakers are far from it. You have no idea how much realism and transparency they could produce when carefully equalized. Which doesn't implicate any additional circuits (we live in the digital age!), so your assumption of a signal corruption is wrong. Moreover, the phase distortions produced by the EQ curve will make up for the existing phase distortions on your speakers and headphones, so in the ideal case amplitude and phase response are flat.

Please consider to give up your high-horse attitude and open your mind!
cool.gif
Meanwhile I'm withdrawing my galvanic-isolation request, which was just mentioned out of friendliness (I don't need it myself, so I could save some money).

Jan 25, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #447 of 22,535
Hi Christer

It's nice of you to put my wishes down – telling John they're not worth of being realized. I certainly don't have the least interest in having my proposals valued on an ideological basis by anybody.

I like shuffle play because I like to be surprised. All tracks on my SD card comprise music I like, so Beethoven's 9th symphony is missing, as is Beethoven generally. Also, I don't listen to Muzak.

Like you, I'm interested in highest possible sound quality. In contrast to you I consider equalizing an essential tool for that: No sound transducer is neutral and flat, even your famous electrostatic speakers are far from it. You have no idea how much realism and transparency they could produce when carefully equalized. Which doesn't implicate any additional circuits (we live in the digital age!), so your assumption of a signal corruption is wrong. Moreover, the phase distortions produced by the EQ curve will make up for the existing phase distortions on your speakers and headphones, so in the ideal case amplitude and phase response are flat.

Please consider to give up your high-horse attitude and open your mind! :cool: Meanwhile I'm withdrawing my galvanic-isolation request, which was just mentioned out of friendliness (I don't need it myself, so I could save some money).

Somehow I don't see that happening. This is the guy who basically said electronic music isn't music after all.

John and Rob: Thank you for including the filter options and USB charging in the Hugo2. I am interested. (Although some sort of upgrade program would indeed have been great.)

Jan 25, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #448 of 22,535

Hi Christer

Please consider to give up your high-horse attitude and open your mind!
cool.gif
Meanwhile I'm withdrawing my galvanic-isolation request, which was just mentioned out of friendliness (I don't need it myself, so I could save some money).

My apologies if my post came out as a personal attack. That was  not my intention,sorry.
I am not easy to please and was obviously expressing  my own  very personal needs and preferences too bluntly.
I'll try not to offend people  and express my wishes more diplomatically next time.
And yes  you are correct,some of the latest models of ML electrostatic speakers  for example, seem to include some kind of digital  equalization at least in the bass region. But I think they have left the all important mids and treble untouched.
And I think most of their electrostatics are basically flat between say 30-40hz to around 22khz within 1 to 2 dB.
I am quite  keen to audition their new  15A model  very favourably reviewed  by every mag which has tested them so far. I suspect that they will be capable of filling a large room with Beethoven's  glorious and mighty ninth.
No offence intended and each to his or her own. But I have to say that to me  BEETHOVEN's  music to mention only one of many more great masters of the past, contain some of the greatest musicaland artistic creations of mankind ever.
Cheers Chris

Jan 25, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #449 of 22,535
Other than the suggestions that sound reasonable, I hope Chord can keep non-visual accessability in mind when designing the add-on module.  Eeeevery loves a touchscreen, these days.  But, even a set of arrow controls or even capacitive buttons if you wish, might make it easier to use for some of us.
Pleas give it a thought if you can, John or Rob.  Thanks.

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #450 of 22,535
  Other than the suggestions that sound reasonable, I hope Chord can keep non-visual accessability in mind when designing the add-on module.  Eeeevery loves a touchscreen, these days.  But, even a set of arrow controls or even capacitive buttons if you wish, might make it easier to use for some of us.
Pleas give it a thought if you can, John or Rob.  Thanks.

I support that. It's great if you can operate the Hugo²+ in your (large enough) pocket by some tactile buttons instead of having to take it out or use a smartphone, again visually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back