Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Oct 13, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #14,521 of 22,475
I think the Ifi power supplies and USB cleaners are a good idea. As far as I remember they are RF noise free. They also clean USB noise out of the USB power lines.

The website is the place to check up. However the website used to be more specific than what I see explained now. They used to quote military grade stuff. Might be an idea to check the manual though.

However Rob has implemented RF filtering and to an extent or complete USB noise removal, with Hugo 2. I presume he and Chord would have put that in the Hugo TT 2 also.

(Maybe that is why folk are selling DAVE to buy TT 2 and M-Scaler. Rather than have to experiment removing RF noise going into DAVE. Don't quote me on that though, as I am no DAVE expert.)

Anyway if you find all the info out on the ifi gear, I can't see how you can go wrong. ......... I actually bought an iFi Nano USB 3.0 a year ago, but never felt the need for it. I can't hear any difference in the Hugo 2, powered or running on battery. I can still use the iFi on the Mojo though. Or on the Hugo 2 for extra giggles, and assurance.

From the webpage on the iFi that I bought:
Active Noise Cancellation Military Technology – To cancel all incoming noise
Quiet! Active Noise Cancellation+ (ANC) at work!
Exceptionally quiet power. The measured noise floor is 100x quieter than the Common Noise Filter.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #14,522 of 22,475
I have the iFi Micro iUSB3.0 with Gemini cable in front of my Hugo 2. The music is less grainy and clear. So I guess it's making a difference.

Oct 13, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #14,524 of 22,475
Think Watts did fine job optimizing H2 so as not require these add-on digital "cleaners."
Many here supplying audio cable makers and ancillary doo-dad makers a nice little revenue stream.
Best audio tweak I ever had was getting wax cleaned out of my ears by one trained to do it right. Listening at sensible listening levels is best common sense tweak.
Now if could control neighbors often yapping dogs without creating animosity. In interim noise cancelling headphones are my friend. :)

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #14,526 of 22,475
It's a shame they don't make a 15v one, to use on the Hugo TT 2. Unless they do.
They make this power supply in 15 volts: iPower by iFi. But I'm not sure it would fit the Hugo TT2. It comes with various adapters so there's a chance one of them would work.

Oct 13, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #14,527 of 22,475
New Zealand. The $ here is worth less than in the USA. The NZ $ is around 65% of a US $.

Damn, sucks to be a Chord fan in NZ.

I suppose everything else that’s imported is also $$$$$.

Oct 13, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #14,529 of 22,475
Is anyone using an ipad successfully connected to h2? i'm thinking of adding a roon endpoint ipad pro to my mscaler.

Oct 13, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #14,530 of 22,475
Is anyone using an ipad successfully connected to h2? i'm thinking of adding a roon endpoint ipad pro to my mscaler.
I use my Hugo 2 all the time with the Apple CCK3 adapter connected to my iPad Pro. I'm not exactly sure how setting up endpoints with Roon work. But as far the using the Hugo 2 with an iPad goes I've never had a problem.

Oct 13, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #14,531 of 22,475

Yes, me.

I also use it with my iphone. I bought a couple of apple cck cables, and use a standard usb a to micro usb cable with them.

I’m not sure you would be able to setup the mscaler as an endpoint, I think it would just show your ipad in the list of endpoints, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #14,532 of 22,475
Think Watts did fine job optimizing H2 so as not require these add-on digital "cleaners."
Many here supplying audio cable makers and ancillary doo-dad makers a nice little revenue stream.
Best audio tweak I ever had was getting wax cleaned out of my ears by one trained to do it right. Listening at sensible listening levels is best common sense tweak.
Now if could control neighbors often yapping dogs without creating animosity. In interim noise cancelling headphones are my friend. :)

I can't remember exactly what Rob Watts said about the USB power cleaning and data input noise/RF cleaning. I think he said something like its now either taken care of, or gone a lot further than before.

As I said though, I never found any sound difference between the Hugo 2 on power or on battery. I kept my Audioquest jitterbug on the data cable, that I had used with Mojo. (It was needed on Mojo.) Though I probably don't need it, with Hugo 2. Others have done the same, just like me because it was there for Mojo from PC.

Either way though, I can't see any harm using power/data line cleaners. My ifi will go well with Mojo as I said above anyway.

Oct 13, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #14,533 of 22,475
Is everyone using ios12?

Oct 14, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #14,534 of 22,475
Is everyone using ios12?

Yup, ios 12 here.

Anybody with an older ipad, an ipad air for example, which I think is the lowest supported model, I would advise you to get ios 12, it dramatically recovers the speed that was lost with ios 10 and 11.

Ipad 4 and lower can’t get ios 12.

Oct 14, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #14,535 of 22,475
In light of the recent (this page and somewhat backwards) lively discussion regarding input signal and power cleanliness as well as input types to the Hugo 2, I would like to bring this question to the father and designer, @Rob Watts. It has been answered probably many times, but nevertheless. Thank you so much in advance!

Please, could you comment on all things like signal and power clean-up, re-clocking, RFI etc. Also, could you rank the H2 input types by (1) signal quality, (2) versatility, (3) sound quality and maybe more criteria.

My original question was triggered by @dmance. I am NOT experiencing any noticeable SQ degradation as far as I hear it now!!! I am just looking for what could be the best practice regarding signal input to the H2 based on first (physics) principles.

In fact, some figure the answer might be optical. I didn‘t know yet that USB to optical adapters are a box of worms. I knew though that USB, power and other gadgets are some of the biggest boxes of worms...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back