Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 24, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #13,306 of 22,535
No. This is the commonly held view but it is not correct. The point of desktop mode is to avoid fully charging the battery. Turning the device off defeats this purpose, as a full charge cycle begins the moment you turn it off.

Please see Rob Watt's post here.

Not sure, but I think when rob speaks about a full charge cycle not being good for the battery, I think and I may be wrong, but I think he means a full discharge and recharge cycle.

Topping up the battery is not so harsh on the battery, so turning off hugo should be ok as its not doing a full discharge and recharge cycle.

If we were to leave hugo physically turned on all the time, the battery would probably run out eventually ?.? I dont know if it would, but after I turn hugo off, my hugo charges which tells me the battery has been used and used alot and its been charging since 10:45pm, its now 1am

Plus, its supposed to not be good to let the battery drain too much and let it charge whilst listening to music due to heat.

Rob has mentioned a few times how its supposed to work, but his replies are needlessly cryptic at times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 24, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #13,307 of 22,535
I keep seeing it said that it should be in desktop mode and left on because turning it off will trigger the unit to fully charge. Except that never happens with mine. It almost never moves, so it's in desktop mode 99% of the time. You can feel it heat up and cool down when in use, so I know it's charging/discharging during use, but about 90% of the time the unit does not charge when I turn it off, even though I know it's not fully charged.

I keep mine plugged in, but turn it on/off when needed, because otherwise I've noticed it heat-cycling throughout the day. Why would I want that rather than just having the unit off and drawing no charge?
As do I. I just don't like leaving it on, as it does get quite hot. It's never knowingly shut down due to overheating, but I'll continue to turn it on as needed. I know Rob's amp was left on for 26 years. But that is a millenia in DAC's years. If my Hugo2 wears out by that time, I'll just buy a Hugo great grandchild.

Jun 24, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #13,310 of 22,535
When Rob says the Voltage won’t wear out the battery it’s because remaining at a state of Voltage higher than 4.10V / cel for long periods of time can be more detrimental to the battery health than charge cycles. This is exactly why some battery powered devices that are left on a charger 24/7 die prematurely.

Jun 24, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #13,311 of 22,535
As do I. I just don't like leaving it on, as it does get quite hot. It's never knowingly shut down due to overheating, but I'll continue to turn it on as needed. I know Rob's amp was left on for 26 years. But that is a millenia in DAC's years. If my Hugo2 wears out by that time, I'll just buy a Hugo great grandchild.

The heat with the device left on while not playing is as expected.

Chord claims Hugo 2 battery capacity is 20Wh. Hence with a 7 hour play time, power consumption works out to about 3W.

Rob Watts in his post claims 2W with the device left on, which is not significantly less than 3W.

So heat left on should not be significantly less than heat while playing.

If the heat bothers you, and you decide turn it off, OK, no problem. Just note you that are not actually taking advantage of the desktop mode feature, and your battery lifetime is not optimal.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #13,312 of 22,535
Hi @Rob Watts

I know you've had the same questions asked over and over, about battery operation and desktop mode etc.

Something a little different (just to check my understanding):

Are the only 2 ways for Hugo2 to remain on the following:

1. Keep a USB source on and connected to Hugo2
2. Keep a Toslink/Digital Coax source on and playing to Hugo2

There's no other way to keep Hugo2 on and running continuously is there?

Edit:

3. After Hugo2 enters desktop mode, the auto shut-off feature is disabled, so you don't need a USB source connected and you don't need music playing over Toslink/Digital Coax

Point 2 - it just detects a valid SPDIF lock, so it could be not playing, just transmitting SPDIF with digital silence.

My experience differs. When in desktop mode after multiple hours of listening, turning it off causes the charge light to illuminate for several hours. This is exactly what desktop mode is designed to avoid.

Turning it off means that Hugo 2 is expecting to be next used in mobile mode, so it tops the battery up ready for mobile. It remains in desktop mode.

Not sure, but I think when rob speaks about a full charge cycle not being good for the battery, I think and I may be wrong, but I think he means a full discharge and recharge cycle.

Topping up the battery is not so harsh on the battery, so turning off hugo should be ok as its not doing a full discharge and recharge cycle.

If we were to leave hugo physically turned on all the time, the battery would probably run out eventually ?.? I dont know if it would, but after I turn hugo off, my hugo charges which tells me the battery has been used and used alot and its been charging since 10:45pm, its now 1am

Plus, its supposed to not be good to let the battery drain too much and let it charge whilst listening to music due to heat.

Rob has mentioned a few times how its supposed to work, but his replies are needlessly cryptic at times.

Oops! Cryptic? Sorry, but my goal in posting is always accuracy, and that may mean it's not understandable to all. Or maybe I am just poor at explaining things.

Yes its a full charge and discharge cycle, so that is 100% battery to 0% battery then re-charge. You have 500 to 1000 full charge and discharge cycles. Turning off Hugo 2 will count as a one fifth of a full charge and discharge cycle, as you will go from 80% to 100% ready for mobile use. If you left Hugo 2 off, and connected to a charger, the charger will ensure it is at 100% indefinitely. Once the battery discharges to a set point, the charger will give it a top-up.

Jun 25, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #13,315 of 22,535
Point 2 - it just detects a valid SPDIF lock, so it could be not playing, just transmitting SPDIF with digital silence.

Turning it off means that Hugo 2 is expecting to be next used in mobile mode, so it tops the battery up ready for mobile. It remains in desktop mode.

Oops! Cryptic? Sorry, but my goal in posting is always accuracy, and that may mean it's not understandable to all. Or maybe I am just poor at explaining things.

Yes its a full charge and discharge cycle, so that is 100% battery to 0% battery then re-charge. You have 500 to 1000 full charge and discharge cycles. Turning off Hugo 2 will count as a one fifth of a full charge and discharge cycle, as you will go from 80% to 100% ready for mobile use. If you left Hugo 2 off, and connected to a charger, the charger will ensure it is at 100% indefinitely. Once the battery discharges to a set point, the charger will give it a top-up.

I doubt that its you that is poor at explaining things, its more likely to be me, because I am a dumb idiot who does not understand a wiring diagram for a 3 pin plug that does not contain an earth wire and who once deliberately tested what 240 volts felt like on the human body.

Not nice, thats how it felt and it was so horrible that I never did get to complete my double blind A-B test to see if UK mains electric felt and sounded the same as the states 110v mains supply.

I can now categorically state that I fully understand Hugo 2s desktop mode.

Thank you for clarifying the situation.

Jun 25, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #13,316 of 22,535
The heat with the device left on while not playing is as expected.

Chord claims Hugo 2 battery capacity is 20Wh. Hence with a 7 hour play time, power consumption works out to about 3W.

Rob Watts in his post claims 2W with the device left on, which is not significantly less than 3W.

So heat left on should not be significantly less than heat while playing.

If the heat bothers you, and you decide turn it off, OK, no problem. Just note you that are not actually taking advantage of the desktop mode feature, and your battery lifetime is not optimal.
It may also be the placement of my unit. It's on a shelf of my desk, just above my mid-tower, and sometimes, I feel a bit of heat circulating through that space. I'm going to add some extra feet to give it some breathing room on the bottom, and see how it goes.

Jun 25, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #13,317 of 22,535

Well, that's a lot clearer to me.

Jun 25, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #13,318 of 22,535
I doubt that its you that is poor at explaining things, its more likely to be me, because I am a dumb idiot who does not understand a wiring diagram for a 3 pin plug that does not contain an earth wire and who once deliberately tested what 240 volts felt like on the human body.

Not nice, thats how it felt and it was so horrible that I never did get to complete my double blind A-B test to see if UK mains electric felt and sounded the same as the states 110v mains supply.

I can now categorically state that I fully understand Hugo 2s desktop mode.

Thank you for clarifying the situation.
I'm shocked that you weren't 'double' blinded after that experience.

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #13,319 of 22,535
I'm shocked that you weren't 'double' blinded after that experience.

Yea.

I cant put into words just how horrible a proper electric shock feels like. I have had electric shocks because of my nerves, but they pale in comparison to a proper electric shock.

It really is extremely horrible, it was an old light bulb socket with 2 prongs that when a light bulb was screwed into it, would push the prongs down and complete the circuit, the bulb blew and I was in the process of replacing it when a buddy bet me £10 that I wouldnt push the prongs down, we both lost, him a tenner and me, the content of my bowels.

< will not repeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back