Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 30, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #11,868 of 22,475
After a few hours I have to admit violins sound a bit better with optical than usb... Really a small difference, really small but there is more cohesion in sound.
A question: I actually use tidal hifi on my pc, an asus xonar U5 external soundcard as spdif out and then optical to hugo2 (all cables audioquest forest).
Do you think an item like this used in place of the U5 could improve something?

https://m.it.aliexpress.com/item/32...igital-interface&spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.P0Wo7K

Thank you

Mar 30, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #11,869 of 22,475
After a few hours I have to admit violins sound a bit better with optical than usb... Really a small difference, really small but there is more cohesion in sound.
A question: I actually use tidal hifi on my pc, an asus xonar U5 external soundcard as spdif out and then optical to hugo2 (all cables audioquest forest).
Do you think an item like this used in place of the U5 could improve something?

https://m.it.aliexpress.com/item/32...igital-interface&spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.P0Wo7K

Thank you
I would try roon first as I think it's in a different league than tidal for sound quality

Mar 30, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #11,870 of 22,475
I would try roon first as I think it's in a different league than tidal for sound quality

I will try but I think tidal desktop app support bitperfect and I am using in exclusive mode. Could roon be really better?

Mar 30, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #11,872 of 22,475
Just experiencing with Omega speakers for the first time. As you can see they are connected directly to Hugo 2 and the volume is on blue and is plenty for near field listening. Very transparent sound, great depth and the instrument separation is incredible for single 8 inch speaker.
I am using Qed original performance cable for who is interested.
Looking forward to more changes in sound after 150 + hours as the speakers settle in. As i find out a subwoofer is not needed for my listening situation.
Give Omega speakers a try if you can and own a Hugo 2 or Dave, you will not be disappointed.
So far I am pleased with the sound and is incredible once again what Hugo 2 can do on his own.
Very versatile and worth every penny.

Thanks for the picture!

I'm researching geting a similar setup i.e the Omega's and the Hugo 2 (or the Qutest since I don't need portability)

How far is your listening position? My listening chair is around 2.5m

What speakers did you have before the XRS's?

Mar 31, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #11,876 of 22,475
Looking for an apk for Android phones to use with Hugo², any suggestions? Thanks!
Usb audio player pro is good, bitperfect also in streaming

Mar 31, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #11,879 of 22,475
In my music library, all my CDs are ripped to ALAC. I have FLAC and DSF for high res digital music that I purchase (I purchase digital music to as close to the mastering rate and type as I can get)

I may be mistaken, but I believe both ALAC and FLAC are decoded by your audio player before they are sent to your DAC over USB as PCM. If you have bit perfect playback (which I consider a must with Chord DACs), ALAC and FLAC should be identical.

Mar 31, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #11,880 of 22,475
In my music library, all my CDs are ripped to ALAC. I have FLAC and DSF for high res digital music that I purchase (I purchase digital music to as close to the mastering rate and type as I can get)

I may be mistaken, but I believe both ALAC and FLAC are decoded by your audio player before they are sent to your DAC over USB as PCM. If you have bit perfect playback (which I consider a must with Chord DACs), ALAC and FLAC should be identical.

Thanks, Ray. My library sounds similar to yours.

I use Audirvana for the MacBook Pro but now HF Player for iPhone X. Some DSD files struggled with the other I was using.

What do you (and others) use?

The Mahler 10 CD set is 25$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back