Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 25, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #11,776 of 22,500
I am a new Hugo 2 owner and am confused with regards to Hugo’s desktop mode.

I have scanned through some of this thread and read some posts but I am still confused and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the situation

To put Hugo 2 into desktop mode, I plug the charger into the wall socket and then I plug the micro usb cable into Hugo’s usb charging port. I then switch the charger on and leave it charging hugo for > 24 hours.

24+ hours later I turn Hugo on with the remote and the power ball is now a magenta colour indictating desktop mode.

The charger is still switched on and still connected to hugo.

This is the part that I am unsure of,

To ensure longevity of the batteries and when hugo 2 is in desktop mode, does hugo itself need to be turned on all the time, even when not using it ?

Or can it be turned off via the remote or the power ball, whilst leaving the charger powered on and connected to hugo all the time.

Which is the correct way to use hugo whilst in desktop mode to ensure maximum battery life ?

Can any Hugo 2 owners help with the above question.
My understanding is that when Hugo2 is plugged in for 24-hrs, it's in desktop mode whether on or off. It just means the battery will be topped up as needed with a lower charging rate of 1 amp. If anyone believes I'm mistaken about desktop mode, pleas speak or forever put this contraversial issue to bed. Come on guys, we've got to nail this DM thing down, so lesser beings such as I will not be confused.

Mar 25, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #11,777 of 22,500
A harsh negative review of H2 was strange reading but author’s central point of condemnation was about OS and if OS company closes down, you have an expensive “door stop.”

The need to ridicule wrapped in veneer if testing dominates the article. Poor editing added in red reveals author’s emotional disposition.

Interestingly enough, however, is that with 2Go, the SD card grants independence.

My Chord journey has moved to a new stage of musical appreciation. Mojo brought to life childhood music that had been long overplayed, as if to infuse new life with “Ive not heard that instrument before on this!” to “I’ve not heard this definition before...”

From Mojo to Hugo 2 has come the inevitable revisiting of classical music experienced in childhood and on to “getting”, even if just a little bit, the emotional satisfaction in classical pieces.

Now I’m still enjoying old favorites but am in a new world of exploration.

It’s so thrilling that I want H2 with me, in portable fashion, more and more. It was most always desk top mode (except for business trips) but I find myself using it more and more on the go, including treadmill.

2Go is going to be a blast.

I checked my volume and it’s near 1TB.

Thrilling.

Mar 25, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #11,778 of 22,500
Its not the way it works after 15000 responses on ch1 now ch2, expect is silver better than black, do i keep my hugo plugged in or not, and toslink ya toslink is better than ____.Insert whatever. Now its 2go this and that, after poly disaster....sorry.

Mar 25, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #11,782 of 22,500
May I have a question how is hugo2 connected to a Benchmark amp when chord has only rca and benchmark has only balanced imputs? Is it any issue?

I ran my Benchmark amp with an rca to xlr adapter, no worries. In my case, I had the Benchmark rca/xlr cables, but I had also run it with adapters with no problems.

Great amp with the Chord kit with a remarkably low noise floor, but I’m now part of the “best amp is no amp” camp (good bye B&W speakers...sniff)

Mar 25, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #11,783 of 22,500
I am a new Hugo 2 owner and am confused with regards to Hugo’s desktop mode.

I have scanned through some of this thread and read some posts but I am still confused and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the situation

To put Hugo 2 into desktop mode, I plug the charger into the wall socket and then I plug the micro usb cable into Hugo’s usb charging port. I then switch the charger on and leave it charging hugo for > 24 hours.

24+ hours later I turn Hugo on with the remote and the power ball is now a magenta colour indictating desktop mode.

The charger is still switched on and still connected to hugo.

This is the part that I am unsure of,

To ensure longevity of the batteries and when hugo 2 is in desktop mode, does hugo itself need to be turned on all the time, even when not using it ?

Or can it be turned off via the remote or the power ball, whilst leaving the charger powered on and connected to hugo all the time.

Which is the correct way to use hugo whilst in desktop mode to ensure maximum battery life ?

Can any Hugo 2 owners help with the above question.
Just plug the Hugo 2 in and forget about it and enjoy the music

Mar 25, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #11,784 of 22,500
Hello,

I just setup a new system: MacBook Pro > Roon > Hugo 2 > Andromeda. DSD signal path set to lossless, exclusive mode via DoP v1.0. Both DSD 64fs and 256fs play exceptionally well, except for one problem. When I tap the spacebar to pause and then again to play, crackling noises appear and continue during the remainder of the track. Restarting the track or the album seems to be the only way to solve the problem. I tried playing with Roon's playback setting to no avail. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to solve this problem?

Thank you,
Mike

PS: Playing FLAC 96kHz 24bit 2ch with signal pass lossless does not suffer this problem.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #11,785 of 22,500
Wonder if my dealer would let me listen to the Chord 2go before I buy it or not
There is no hint from Chord that the 2Go has completed development, or been beta tested, so you could be waiting until near christmas, before it ships.
I expect that many dealers will be happy for you to demo the 2Go when it ships, but unhappy if it means that you delay your Hugo2 order till near christmas.

Mar 25, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #11,786 of 22,500
There is no hint from Chord that the 2Go has completed development, or been beta tested, so you could be waiting until near christmas, before it ships.
I expect that many dealers will be happy for you to demo the 2Go when it ships, but unhappy if it means that you delay your Hugo2 order till near christmas.
I've got my Hugo 2 mate listening to it now,just wanna try it out first whenever it comes out

Mar 25, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #11,787 of 22,500
Hello,

I just setup a new system: MacBook Pro > Roon > Hugo 2 > Andromeda. DSD signal path set to lossless, exclusive mode via DoP v1.0. Both DSD 64fs and 256fs play exceptionally well, except for one problem. When I tap the spacebar to pause and then again to play, crackling noises appear and continue during the remainder of the track. Restarting the track or the album seems to be the only way to solve the problem. I tried playing with Roon's playback setting to no avail. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to solve this problem?

Thank you,
Mike

PS: Playing FLAC 96kHz 24bit 2ch with signal pass lossless does not suffer this problem.
The Hugo1 received DSD in DoP mode, but I'm sure the H2 is in native mode. Did you try that? I have no problems in 64-256, (never had 512 to test). Let me know if it works.

Mar 25, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #11,788 of 22,500
Can someone send a link for the dual coaxial in adapter in the usa?

Will the hugo 2 access both coaxial inputs if set in coax 2 with said adapter connected?

Looking to obtain highest data signal and I assume this is the best way.

Thanks

Mar 25, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #11,789 of 22,500
@Peter Hyatt What review are you referring to?

I think it might have been the Audioscience review. Much was made of the drivers required for windows which was then withdrawn later as a criticism but the review was not altered. Quite unfair in my opinion. But then the guy has an agenda about nothing beyond a cheap adequate dac being needed anyway.

Mar 25, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #11,790 of 22,500
May I have a question how is hugo2 connected to a Benchmark amp when chord has only rca and benchmark has only balanced imputs? Is it any issue?

I also have the Benchmark AHB2, and Benchmark have an RCA to balanced cable (reasonable price) that does the connection. Really like the combination with Hugo 2. Top tip to rkt31 and to follow the Benchmark manual and use (try) medium gain setting as after extensive testing preferred that. Initially I thought the low gain setting would be best as the Hugo 2 has a high output. Re his question on burn in time I cannot say more than it took some time to get used to the very transparent sound for this combo. Depending on quality of recording you hear it! So some sound thin as they were recorded that way, and (most) others sound amazing so be sure to try different music.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back