Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 12, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #10,186 of 22,516
Jan 12, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #10,187 of 22,516
Due to inexplicable and completely mysterious slow down of my iPhone 6 that I use for business, I had to trade it in. Instead of iPhone 8, I jumped to iPhone X with 256 gig. (its a lot of fun and has tremendous video).

I then transferred a bunch of FLAC files to the iPhone X and am using the Hugo 2 bluetooth device while waiting for 2Go, while at locales without wifi. Although mostly desktop set up, it is still "on the go" for me.

The 2Go having a shoulder strap on its case sounds quite useful.

Jan 12, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #10,188 of 22,516
Due to inexplicable and completely mysterious slow down of my iPhone 6 that I use for business, I had to trade it in. Instead of iPhone 8, I jumped to iPhone X with 256 gig. (its a lot of fun and has tremendous video).

I then transferred a bunch of FLAC files to the iPhone X and am using the Hugo 2 bluetooth device while waiting for 2Go, while at locales without wifi. Although mostly desktop set up, it is still "on the go" for me.

https://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/31/planned-obsolescence-as-myth-or-reality/

iPhone shennanigans aside, I hope you're enjoying Hugo 2, Peter!

Jan 12, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #10,189 of 22,516
Got to listen to the Hugo2 again yesterday and still need one. I’m a fan of the aeon closed and with the Hugo2 I was smiling ear to ear in audio nirvana. The musicality of it was effortless. I ended up preferring the more complete sound of the ether flow closed but it’s so much more and the aeon is pretty close. But I know if I went aeon I’d always have the ether in the back of my mind. I had to pull the Beyer T1 off the wall and immediately was reminded what a good headphone this can be. The best I’d ever heard it was through a woo wa22 and to me it was a world class pairing and the Hugo2 almost presented it in the same fashion. It was still really good but simply reminded how good that headphone can be. The utopia had an xlr cable so I couldn’t connect it directly to the Hugo2 so I had send the Hugo2 signal to a rogue headphone amp and I was blown away. Most definitely my no.1 of all time favorite sound and surely even As capable as the Hugo2 is there are better setups. However I don’t want to try and spend that much on a headphone because I only dedicate headphone time to bed time so it doesn’t merit spending that much to me. However I’d absolutely love to find a speaker that sounds exactly like the utopia.
Time to start selling stuff to buy my Hugo2 before the huge price increase I was told about yesterday.

Jan 12, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #10,191 of 22,516
Got to listen to the Hugo2 again yesterday and still need one. I’m a fan of the aeon closed and with the Hugo2 I was smiling ear to ear in audio nirvana. The musicality of it was effortless. I ended up preferring the more complete sound of the ether flow closed but it’s so much more and the aeon is pretty close. But I know if I went aeon I’d always have the ether in the back of my mind. I had to pull the Beyer T1 off the wall and immediately was reminded what a good headphone this can be. The best I’d ever heard it was through a woo wa22 and to me it was a world class pairing and the Hugo2 almost presented it in the same fashion. It was still really good but simply reminded how good that headphone can be. The utopia had an xlr cable so I couldn’t connect it directly to the Hugo2 so I had send the Hugo2 signal to a rogue headphone amp and I was blown away. Most definitely my no.1 of all time favorite sound and surely even As capable as the Hugo2 is there are better setups. However I don’t want to try and spend that much on a headphone because I only dedicate headphone time to bed time so it doesn’t merit spending that much to me. However I’d absolutely love to find a speaker that sounds exactly like the utopia.
Time to start selling stuff to buy my Hugo2 before the huge price increase I was told about yesterday.

I love the Aeon's with the Chord DACs...very well suited to each other. The closed Aeon's scale remarkably well as you go up the Chord ladder (Mojo to Hugo2 to DAVE), while other more premium headphones top out a lot earlier. The Chord magic requires a different type of performance from headphones and amps, so a lot of the conventional wisdom doesn't necessarily map.

For anyone that loves the headphone sound with their Chord kit, I highly recommend they give a listen to single driver high efficiency speakers being driven directly from the DAC (my favorite are the Omega super alnico line), esp. in near field. The combination hits at least 10x above its weight class.

Jan 12, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #10,193 of 22,516
I love the Aeon's with the Chord DACs...very well suited to each other. The closed Aeon's scale remarkably well as you go up the Chord ladder (Mojo to Hugo2 to DAVE), while other more premium headphones top out a lot earlier. The Chord magic requires a different type of performance from headphones and amps, so a lot of the conventional wisdom doesn't necessarily map.

For anyone that loves the headphone sound with their Chord kit, I highly recommend they give a listen to single driver high efficiency speakers being driven directly from the DAC (my favorite are the Omega super alnico line), esp. in near field. The combination hits at least 10x above its weight class.
Dear Ray,

Do you have any experience or have you heard the Omega Junior 8XRS ? They are rated 98 bB @ 8 ohm.
Do you think that Hugo 2 @1050 mW is more than enough for near field listening for all genres? Do you know anyone using this particular speaker system with Hugo 2?
Thank you for your detailed reviews.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #10,194 of 22,516
Dear Ray,

Do you have any experience or have you heard the Omega Junior 8XRS ? They are rated 98 bB @ 8 ohm.
Do you think that Hugo 2 @1050 mW is more than enough for near field listening for all genres? Do you know anyone using this particular speaker system with Hugo 2?
Thank you for your detailed reviews.

I have not. I've only heard the Omega Super Alnico Monitors and the Compact Alnico Monitors. IIRC, @romaz had the 3i's (5" RS drivers) and preferred the super alnico's. I jumped right to the alnico's since I thought they would have more speed than the ferrite drivers on the RS5 and RS8 drivers, but that might be a good conversation to have with Louis (owner/craftsman at Omega).

In general, the extra ~5dB sensitivity would certainly make a difference, but obviously how a speaker sounds is way beyond a sensitivity spec. For example, the SAMs and CAMs are remarkably musical and resolving even as you lower the volume (this was a very pleasant surprise...just lovely) It would be very interesting to hear the 8XRS's to see how they sound as you the volume and congestion up and down.

Jan 12, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #10,195 of 22,516
It will be a great case it’s to be made by our friends at Van Nuys in Japan and will come with a clip on shoulder strap for carrying the combined Hugo2go.

What a great idea with the shoulder strap! I was wondering wether it might be possible to have partly hollow shoulder strap that could run the cable for the headphones (especially IEMS) so all the straps dont get tangled? I would personally really enjoy this.

Jan 12, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #10,196 of 22,516
What a great idea with the shoulder strap! I was wondering wether it might be possible to have partly hollow shoulder strap that could run the cable for the headphones (especially IEMS) so all the straps dont get tangled? I would personally really enjoy this.
Nice idea I’ll put it to Fumi at VanNuys

Jan 12, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #10,197 of 22,516
@ray-dude , @musicday
I had my Hugo2 directly driving my DIY Voxativ AF-2.6 drivers in a ported horn enclosure. Yes, it was spectacular with detail and all that but y'know, just not as much grunt on the lows and a bit thin sounding. I don't think this is what full transparency sounds like.
There is something to be said for power amps controlling the speakers at all frequency impedances ...and the Hugo2, IMO, just can't do the same.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #10,198 of 22,516

Every time the shoulder strap catches on something, or whenever you forget to remove your IEMs (and especially CIEMs) from your ears, before removing Hugo from your shoulder, you would run the risk of ripping your IEMs/CIEMs out of your ears.

Jan 12, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #10,199 of 22,516
Every time the shoulder strap catches on something, or whenever you forget to remove your IEMs (and especially CIEMs) from your ears, before removing Hugo from your shoulder, you would run the risk of ripping your IEMs/CIEMs out of your ears.

Fair point, although I have also ripped them out a few times getting stuck with the free flowing cable on a door handle and other objects. Perhaps there would be a less fixed option then, to more loosely attach it to on of the straps.

Jan 12, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #10,200 of 22,516
Nice idea I’ll put it to Fumi at VanNuys

A free 2Go as a reward for this brilliance will do, Rob :wink: Although Mython is working hard to undermine me. Sneaky Mython.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back