Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Oct 17, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #8,447 of 22,475
Fair enough, sorry.

No worries, it’s not a bother at all! I think he’s too busy enjoying the Roon Lifetime Membership + Roon Core i7 + iDAC2 + Sonore ultraRendu + Uptone LPS-1 that I bought him, to care what I call him these days. He’s so busy enjoying all that, I’m still waiting for a thank you !! :darthsmile:

Oct 17, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #8,448 of 22,475
Ha my old fella is ok with it, so that’s good enough for me.

Yes I agree, if the old man is really an old man (i.e. middle aged :ksc75smile:) and does not mind being called old man then all is good.

Assuming the "referred to secretary" is female and who would probably call us dudes wusses if we called our old man - Pa-Pa.

Once our old man knows the difference between a sharp corner and a round circle - does it really matter?

SpiritedFloweryKangaroo-size_restricted.gif

Oct 17, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #8,449 of 22,475
you pay for what you get with chord imho. the chord sound signature for me having owned yulong and schitt dacs before is on another league. i do agree however you do pay a premium for chord. but i suppose it comes down to whether you are willing to put true high fidelity before all other considerations including price. it is a free world after all. for me i can justify it because of the emotional bond i have to my music and that supercedes all other factors at play here. it just means i have to be a bit more patient and save that little bit harder. some people buy designer clothes some gamble i like quality audio gear. i can live with that. and yes that does include a significant percentage of low level information music as you put it. i do of course love classical too having played 1st violin in the junior cbso. oh and for me music doesn't move me because of how much musical data or information it contains.

listening to siempre hay esperanza (instrumental) on sade stronger than pride

Oct 17, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #8,451 of 22,475
No worries, it’s not a bother at all! I think he’s too busy enjoying the Roon Lifetime Membership + Roon Core i7 + iDAC2 + Sonore ultraRendu + Uptone LPS-1 that I bought him, to care what I call him these days. He’s so busy enjoying all that, I’m still waiting for a thank you !! :darthsmile:

It’s actually pretty cool that you did that for him, and that he’s enjoying it. :)

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #8,452 of 22,475
How 'bout I thank you for him. I wanna be your old man too.

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #8,453 of 22,475
we're all gonna be old guys one day. 40 years from now hugo38 strapped to my zimmer frame. lol:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

listening to andrea bocelli passione

just discovered clicking on the small mic symbol in roon gives you lyrics. wow. how the hell did they do that with 25 million plus tracks.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #8,454 of 22,475
That was one of first things I learned and checked if it worked when I first auditioned HUGO2.
And yes it actually dims the annoying bright lights.
But I still wonder why the light balls and other indication print signs are only visible at the front and back.
Anybody with an eye for ergonomic design would have put the text where it belongs, on top of course!
I know some are having overheating problems with their HUGO 2s.But are you really expected to put HUGO 2 on its side while playing as well if you want to be able to read the signs?
I had to pick it up the first couple of times to check what the different lights are actually indicating.
At first I managed to press the wrong buttons a few times and even accidentally turned the whole thing off.
I may eventually buy one, it is actually quite good. Though probably not before first having sold my HUGO 1. But I am still annoyed about some not very well made ergonomic design choices and other weird compromises like the still very flimsy little micro usb and other connection limitations.
Interesting thought on the design. I guess you are right about the "ergonomic design" argument. It will be easier for people who do not own a unit to figure out how to use it.
But I like enigmatic and perhaps elegant design should not have any text on the surface. I even don't want to have icons.
The design concept of Hugo 2 is great with its colorful spherical switches/controller. Putting text on top would ruin the elegance, IMHO.
I'm a person who read through Users' Manual and try to memorize all the controls and features for whatever the equipments I own before turning it on or start using.
To my eyes, there are way too many texts on the surface with the current design.

I agree with the micro USB connections. They are small and flimsy, and I am always afraid of damaging the socket with my thick and not easily bendable USB cable.

Oct 17, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #8,455 of 22,475
Some people in iFi thread comparing BL with Hugo2 and found these two are very close to each other. I am a bit surprised to hear this comment since my WA8 outperforms BL by a large margin: the body, stage and detail are all better than BL. If Hugo2 is close to WA8 then I do not know if I still want to buy it. I wonder if anyone here is able to compare iFi Micro BL with Hugo2? Thanks.

I spent a few weeks with the iDSD micro BL after sending in my Hugo 2 in for replacement and I had a week or so of overlap when I got my replacement Hugo 2. I can say that I felt the iDSD micro BL was more flexible, more portable, and maybe even more fun. It was well worth the $400 I spent for it. It really is a fantastic device, and in my opinion, better than the Mojo in nearly every respect. So, while I have much respect for the iDSD micro BL, it did not connect with me in the same way Hugo 2 does. My sentiments echo those of previous posters. The Hugo 2 is “better.” I sold the iDSD micro BL and been loving my Hugo 2 ever since. But…a day doesn’t go by that I don’t think to myself that the Hugo 2 is overpriced often drawing comparisons to the iDSD micro BL (which I believe is much better bang for the buck). If a friend ever asked me for purchase advice…it would be the iDSD micro BL all day. But, then when my friend is ready, maybe after spending a few months with his iDSD micro BL, I would let him listen to my Hugo 2 and embarrassingly disclose how much you have to spend to get that level of enjoyment from your music.

Oct 17, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #8,456 of 22,475
so how do the 15K dave/blu2 guys using it for headphone listening only justify that? does it then become a lifetime pinnacle of serious hobby or very well paid professions with ample disposable income? or could it be you only live once syndrome so what the hell. factoring cables and cans you need 27.000 dollars. could it be an old car with the money spent on their true passion music or two jobs at 60 hours a week? everyone justifies expenditure in their own small worlds. or maybe it just fills a void. there are many 20k dave/blu2 guys all power to them i say.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #8,457 of 22,475
so how do the 15K dave/blu2 guys using it for headphone listening only justify that? does it then become a lifetime pinnacle of serious hobby or very well paid professions with ample disposable income? or could it be you only live once syndrome so what the hell. factoring cables and cans you need 27.000 dollars. could it be an old car with the money spent on their true passion music or two jobs at 60 hours a week? everyone justifies expenditure in their own small worlds. or maybe it just fills a void. there are many 20k dave/blu2 guys all power to them i say.
If you have to ask......Then again you answered yourself.

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #8,458 of 22,475

It's quite simple, really, this hi-fi malarky.

There are 2 words one needs to be aware of, that are in endless conflict with one another.

1) Enough

2) More

'More' can be divided into at least 2 sub-categories:

(More)-Performance

(More)-Expense

In many respects, 'More' has a greater number of advocates, than 'Enough', particularly on the '-Performance' sub-category, where almost everybody wants More. There are fewer advocates of 'More', in the '-Expense' category (although that is not always by choice).

Those with more sanity than money tend to be in the minority (although this doesn't imply that the majority of 'More' advocates are wealthy), and they are more likely to be advocates of the 'Enough' category.

As a general rule of thumb: (More-Performance)+(More-Expense) > (Enough)

See if you can guess how many people on Head-Fi are sane.

To confuse matters further, there is another 'More' (phonetically, at least'): called Moore's Law.
Luckily, this 'Moore' allows 'More' fans to get More-Performance without More-Expense, the trade-off being that patience is required until men in white lab coats create ever-faster silicon components, and increasingly-elaborate code (looking at Rob, here!) to run on them!

See if you can guess how many people on Head-Fi are patient.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #8,459 of 22,475
That was one of first things I learned and checked if it worked when I first auditioned HUGO2.
And yes it actually dims the annoying bright lights.
But I still wonder why the light balls and other indication print signs are only visible at the front and back.
Anybody with an eye for ergonomic design would have put the text where it belongs, on top of course!
I know some are having overheating problems with their HUGO 2s.But are you really expected to put HUGO 2 on its side while playing as well if you want to be able to read the signs?
I had to pick it up the first couple of times to check what the different lights are actually indicating.
At first I managed to press the wrong buttons a few times and even accidentally turned the whole thing off.
I may eventually buy one, it is actually quite good. Though probably not before first having sold my HUGO 1. But I am still annoyed about some not very well made ergonomic design choices and other weird compromises like the still very flimsy little micro usb and other connection limitations.
And it feels very uncomfortable to hold with those very ,excuse my saying so again, but really annoying, sharp corners.
But I suppose if the "knife edge" corners hadn't been there Chord would have sold far fewer of their custom made leather cases at 125 Quid a piece.
Absolutely ridiculous imo.
There are actually some quite decent little usb dacs selling for less than that if I am not wrong?
In Malaysia I could easily have one made for "a tenner"!
HUGO 1 is much easier to hold in the hand.
And when not in use I keep it and its usb cable and charger in a simple first aid kit bag with a zipper.
Only real fanboys will bite the 125 quid special offer I guess?
But HUGO 2 sounds clearly better and more resolving than H1 although still a bit on the thin/lean side compared to many desktop dacs and of course DAVE/BLU2 .
Oh my god! I've never heard so much obsession with a few light balls from so many people. Read the user guide, memorize the colours and move on! And if people have to spend E125,00 for a case rather than fly around the world at great expense and get a case made by underpaid labour for a tenner, more fortune to you. In short: if you don't want a Hugo2, don't get one.

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #8,460 of 22,475
fantastic stuff mython. those lines you expressed would make a fantastic opening sequence to a hollywood film i mean that and they help me get things into perspective. i'm in a position in life with no responsibilities so i'm considering building a full blown dave/blu2 system primarily for headphone listening over the next two years. in 1992 at 17 i bought a german dual turntable with nad amp and celestion 3 titanium tweeter speakers on expensive supports. my vinyl collection went in flood water it wasn't too large a collection thankfully. the right music seems to be a real unfaltering rock in these hectic times the meaningful lyrics the beautiful melodies the timeless artists. that's why everyone is here i'm sure and the gear is most interesting as a window into that music.

andrea bocelli love in portofino

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back