Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 28, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #8,207 of 22,516
Rob,

do you have an opinion about software upsampling, in general?

I use Apple MacBook Pro, hi res FLAC or DSD files, Chord Hugo 2 to Beyerdynamic T1.2 headphones. The software I use is Audirvana Plus.

My question is not Audirvana specific; but just in general.

I would appreciate your opinion. Thank you.

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #8,208 of 22,516
Try to do a careful A/B with that DX200. I found it lacking in extension at both ends and not an enjoyable listen. The QP2R, QP1R or even FiiO X7ii would be better choices for SQ. The X7ii also has better ergonomics and more features.

Great feedback and impressions from @xxx1313 - Bernie , have you had a chance to A/B your Utopias or HD800S using Dave and the Hugo 2? I've heard some say this is another >, rather than a >=.

Never had the chance to test the Dave by now. I would expect DAVE tp beat the Hugo 2 in every respect, but still, Hugo 2 gives me a hint why people are willing to spend a 5-digit amount for the Dave. :L3000:

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #8,209 of 22,516
This info is very helpful as I am going to the Indulgence Show tomorrow in London. Having just read several long customer reviews on Head-Fi about the iBasso DX200 (£740), I am seriously wondering why I'm thinking of upgrading my Cowon Plenue 1 (also £740) to a SP1000? I'm just interested in SQ reasons, well aware of the other additional qualities of the £3,299 SP1000. I believe the DX200 will offer a more revealing & detailed sound than the Plenue 1 and I feel this is what I want to move to, using my K812's (which I think I'm very happy with but who knows what I might listen to at the Indulgence Show, it might turn out to be a very expensive visit!). The DX200 has more power than either the AK380 or SP1000 which would enable me to potentially upgrade my HP's to a more demanding planar HP, you very helpfully state your clear view on the power provided by the two flagship AK DAP's. I have always felt that A & K charge far too much for their top DAP's but lucky them if enthusiasts like you are nevertheless prepared to stomp up the cash. The SP1000 does look gorgeous and has an excellent spec but that price bugs me a bit......................When I hold the SP1000 SS tomorrow perhaps it will seduce me too, sadly no CU version apparently available to listen to tomorrow.

And before my wrist is smacked for failing to mention a Chord Hugo so far, having worked my way through from post numero uno to your's on page 523, the very helpful information and feedback provided by so many Head-Fiers is persuading me to pursue two upgrades, not one i.e. upgrade my AQ DF Red to possibly a H2 for laptop duties and buy another DAP to provide a less warm profile than my Plenue 1. The Plenue 1 is a very easy listen but I'm ready for a slightly more 'adventurous' DAP.

All subject to listening to alternatives including possibly a change in HP's.

I had the Plenue S and even though it is a good DAP (also with a warm profile such as your Plenue 1) and I liked it, it is no serious contender for SP1000. I liked how the Plenue S sounded with AKG K812 and Oriolus IEM, but other full-size headphones such as HD800S and HEK sounded much better with the AK380 (with AK amp). I did not mention the K812, because it sounds a bit too bright for my taste, even though it is the best headphone one can get for its price. After my Utopia arrived, the K812 did not get much listening time. But I can say at least that the K812 sounds good with both Hugo 2 and SP1000 SS, even though it sounds brighter than with the Plenue DAPs. The SP1000 has enough power for driving Utopia, HD800S (balanced) and K812, but I like the sound of the Chord Hugo 2 even a bit more (those gorgeous mids especially!), even though I miss the attack and bass slam of the top A&K DAPs.

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #8,210 of 22,516
I tried alac files with apple, sounded much worse. I have pretty decent headphones as well, Zeus XR and A18, they are both extremely sensitive and detailed. Simple bandcamp MP3's sounded great with aptx.

I read your review of the A18 and enjoyed it very much! Looking forward to your review of the Zeus XR.
Currently trying to decide which one to get as my first custom iem... any advice? or is it too soon to tell?
I heard rumors that EE is coming out with a new iem later this year, great:face_palm:

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #8,212 of 22,516
Curious, I just purchased the LCD - i4 + Hugo 2. Was feeling like the bass was lacking... do you think this is a Hugo 2 issue or an lcd-i4 issue? Wondering if I should pair the Hugo 2 with a true over-the-ear headphone instead of these in-ear planar.

I'm curious to hear peoples opinion of their [insert headphone name here] when plugged into Hugo 2 vs another AMP... do you also hear a loss in bass or is it similarly present?

Cheers.

Sep 28, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #8,213 of 22,516
Sep 28, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #8,215 of 22,516
Dealing with ear damage, I had something strange happen to me about four and a half years ago. My regular HP's (Grado) cord was damaged, and I needed something to listen to while being dialysed. My son let me have a couple of scull candys that went through the wash; I was desparate. After listening to those c**p buds, I had a weird hearing problem for a few weeks. Everything in my left ear was a semitone sharp. If I was listening to speakers, it would try to average out, but voices or identicle but separate notes in each ear would be out of tune. It didn't help that my E,N, & T doctor said: "Oh blind people hear things others don't." But, in conclusion, I learned to be extremely careful with what goes in the ear, and how loud it isn't. I'd do a little further studdy before completely dismissing that video. Thanks @Light Man.

The symptoms you described might have been a simple case of hyperacusis. Perhaps you had an ear infection at the time, or perhaps, as you suggest, using earbuds may have had some influence (I suppose ear buds are more prone to creating pressure at the eardrum during insertion and during use, for example, but I guess we'll never know, now, as it was 4.5 yrs ago).

On a different subject, I find it notable that in almost every Chord DAC thread, there is regular mention of Schitt products. To a degree, that is to be expected, since they co-exist in much the same market segment, but it is the almost rhythmic regularity of their mention that has led me to pause and ponder, on a number of occasions, this past couple of years, if there might be something more than mere chance behind the pattern. Am I the only one who has ever pondered this?

Sep 28, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #8,216 of 22,516
Speaking of clicks, my 2 month old H2 gave me quite a scare yesterday. On Enya's FLAC 96/24 files I started to notice some clicks as the H2 was being fed by USB from a Bryston BDP-3 and the files were kept in USB drives. I reformatted the USB drive and re-downloaded the files and recopied each one by one back onto the USB drive. No change. Still crackled and the H2 sampling frequency lights flickered. I changed to AK120II via optical and the 96/24 files were fine but Krall's FLAC 192/24 files crackled like crazy. I switched back to the BDP-3 and both 96/24 and 192/24 files crackled!

I turned the H2 off and back on a few times, no change. Finally,I removed the AC adaptor from the H2 and turned it on and off a few times. Everything went back to normal! I replugged the AC adaptor and it was also OK too now.

Is this a known problem? Is there an issue with keeping the AC adaptor on all the time? It is supposed to be OK but I don't know how to explain this. Any thoughts? AC powerline filters correct this issue?

Thanks,

Wayne Hicks

Sep 28, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #8,217 of 22,516
Curious, I just purchased the LCD - i4 + Hugo 2. Was feeling like the bass was lacking... do you think this is a Hugo 2 issue or an lcd-i4 issue? Wondering if I should pair the Hugo 2 with a true over-the-ear headphone instead of these in-ear planar.

I'm curious to hear peoples opinion of their [insert headphone name here] when plugged into Hugo 2 vs another AMP... do you also hear a loss in bass or is it similarly present?

Cheers.
It could be the ear tips you are using are not fit well. In my experience with Hugo 2, bass is always nice, tight, and full. I tried iSine 20 with Hugo 2, and to my ears it had nice bass both in quality and quantity.

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #8,218 of 22,516

Cheers.
Agreed regarding ear tips. I have the LCDi4's paired with the CH2 and the bass is perfect. The Roon Audeze preset helps shape up the sound too. Great combo.

Sep 28, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #8,219 of 22,516
The symptoms you described might have been a simple case of hyperacusis. Perhaps you had an ear infection at the time, or perhaps, as you suggest, using earbuds may have had some influence (I suppose ear buds are more prone to creating pressure at the eardrum during insertion and during use, for example, but I guess we'll never know, now, as it was 4.5 yrs ago).

On a different subject, I find it notable that in almost every Chord DAC thread, there is regular mention of Schitt products. To a degree, that is to be expected, since they co-exist in much the same market segment, but it is the almost rhythmic regularity of their mention that has led me to pause and ponder, on a number of occasions, this past couple of years, if there might be something more than mere chance behind the pattern. Am I the only one who has ever pondered this?
Thanks for that suggestion. I'm still curious about what might have happened. It was, for me, a crisis, bad enough for me to reconsider my desire for a transplant. But, on the topic of Schiit, I've also noticed that. Maybe it's the oranges/apples difference in Chord/Schiit's approaches. Even to designers: one forward-looking inovator, vs one knowlegable, but older backward-looking curmudgeonly gentleman. But, it's possible that both Chord and Schiit have carved out similar nitches in peoples hearts as open accessable companies with people willing to share their thoughts with us.

Sep 28, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #8,220 of 22,516
It could be the ear tips you are using are not fit well. In my experience with Hugo 2, bass is always nice, tight, and full. I tried iSine 20 with Hugo 2, and to my ears it had nice bass both in quality and quantity.
I don't know if it applies here, but my LCD-Xs took a short while to open up at both ends, when new. It may be the same with the i4s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back