Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 15, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #797 of 22,475
What is the asking price of the Hugo 2 in USD please?

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #798 of 22,475
Feb 15, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #799 of 22,475

What is the asking price of the Hugo 2 in USD please?

$12.99

popcorn.gif

Feb 15, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #801 of 22,475
You select the Coax 1 or Coax 2 , USB 1 , USB 2 , Optical Toslink or Bluetooth input buy the input selector.

On a normal 3,5mm stereo connector you got two channels= dual Coax S/Pdif inputs.

Please watch this video for more info, if you still don't understand:

https://vimeo.com/203567653
it's a really nice feature....simple and ingenoius at the same time! Thanks Chord. ....hope they'll include a double rca to stereo jack adapter in the selling package
And thanks beolab for sharing this
Ciao
Mauro

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #802 of 22,475
it's a really nice feature....simple and ingenoius at the same time! Thanks Chord. ....hope they'll include a double rca to stereo jack adapter in the selling package
And thanks beolab for sharing this
Ciao
Mauro

I would prefer a "standard" RCA or BNC connection, rather than a (cheap?) adaptor to conect to the 3,5mm input and my RCA coax cable.
I honestly think we must be a little serious with the cables/connections and avoid adaptors in the music chain, at least at this level of SQ (and price).

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #804 of 22,475
I would prefer a "standard" RCA or BNC connection, rather than a (cheap?) adaptor to conect to the 3,5mm input and my RCA coax cable.
I honestly think we must be a little serious with the cables/connections and avoid adaptors in the music chain, at least at this level of SQ (and price).
I think too, the most purist connection will be to have the coaxial cable finished with minijack......but for less purist connection which assume the use of an adaptor, it's good for me to know we have 2 in avalable instead of 1.....

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #805 of 22,475
Feb 15, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #806 of 22,475
Galen Carol Audio (gcaudio.com) was recommended by someone here.
 I had a good email exchange with the owner and placed an order with him.  
My preferred color is whichever arrives first.  

Right now, this is out of my price range but at the prospect of getting a 'mini-Dave' that will be full time at my desk, 
as well as portable on flights, is just too tempting to pass up.  

I am keeping my Mojo for exercise, and will get the Poly for my wife, and use it exercising when she is not.  

I love the designs of Chord products; they are innovative, yes, but well thought out for function.  The thought of a hugo-2-poly-thing is very exciting. 

Mojo blew me away, and I ended up selling everything else; desktop and portable.  
 I can only guess what Hugo 2's clarity is going to produce.
 I am cross - country today 
and Mojo is my companion.  

Feb 15, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #807 of 22,475
So I'm not seeing any preorder specials :weary:

He, he!  Over 800 posts on this thread so far and the product is not even in the shops.  Fantastic free advertising for Chord.  And well done to them -- they have shared openly about their designs and put in the hard yards to engage regularly with their customers.

Looking for a bargain, seems like a gen 1 Hugo or TT would be a smarter move.

Though I do think Chord should make a definite commitment on battery replacement, otherwise it is hard to establish the true lifetime cost of ownership when purchasing used products.

Feb 15, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #808 of 22,475
Would it be safe to assume that the thinking behind why the coax input is 3.5mm has something to do with the engineers making a reasoned judgement call due to their end goals? There is a lot to juggle in such a small space and to assume that because it has been done once before in the original Hugo doesn't mean it is always the optimal option from the engineers perspective when other advances have been made elsewhere in the Hugo 2.

One way to find out if it would truly make a noticeable difference is to listen to a Hugo with the straight RCA input, then the same setup with an RCA to 3.5mm jack back to an RCA jack and blind A/B test them. I would be surprised if anyone had the capability to notice the difference with their ears only with a better than 50% success rate. Willing to be wrong, but I would imagine the quality of the digital signal itself would be the more important consideration here for such a small diversion in the signal path. 

The Hugo 2 looks gorgeous and the layout makes sense for its versatility. I don't think Chord is here to give the middle finger to RCA purists. I imagine they listened to the two the two options, just like they did for choosing Apt-X over Apt-X HD. It just might be safe to say their decision after listening to the two codecs was rational and sound regardless of how my detail obsessed mind might play ping-pong with itself about the point. Same with RCA purists me thinks.

This is a world where anyone who believes they can do better is free to give it a go. I jumped to Chord from another brand, I will gladly jump brand favouritism if your product offers better sound and physical presentation.

Hi-Fi is a world of diminishing returns the more money you spend. It sounds like some people (I have it as part of me too, nothing unusual for an audiophile) are upset they can't squeeze that infinitesimally hard to perceive more sound for their price point. Is this not an example of price point induced FOMO? What is the price to satiate our insanity? If you can't afford a DAVE (like me), then be happy settling with the Hugo 2 and then meditate the rest of the insanity away with some good music to meditate to!!!! 

Feb 15, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #809 of 22,475
Would it be safe to assume that the thinking behind why the coax input is 3.5mm has something to do with the engineers making a reasoned judgement call due to their end goals? There is a lot to juggle in such a small space and to assume that because it has been done once before in the original Hugo doesn't mean it is always the optimal option from the engineers perspective when other advances have been made elsewhere in the Hugo 2.

One way to find out if it would truly make a noticeable difference is to listen to a Hugo with the straight RCA input, then the same setup with an RCA to 3.5mm jack back to an RCA jack and blind A/B test them. I would be surprised if anyone had the capability to notice the difference with their ears only with a better than 50% success rate. Willing to be wrong, but I would imagine the quality of the digital signal itself would be the more important consideration here for such a small diversion in the signal path. 

The Hugo 2 looks gorgeous and the layout makes sense for its versatility. I don't think Chord is here to give the middle finger to RCA purists. I imagine they listened to the two the two options, just like they did for choosing Apt-X over Apt-X HD. It just might be safe to say their decision after listening to the two codecs was rational and sound regardless of how my detail obsessed mind might play ping-pong with itself about the point. Same with RCA purists me thinks.

This is a world where anyone who believes they can do better is free to give it a go. I jumped to Chord from another brand, I will gladly jump brand favouritism if your product offers better sound and physical presentation.

Hi-Fi is a world of diminishing returns the more money you spend. It sounds like some people (I have it as part of me too, nothing unusual for an audiophile) are upset they can't squeeze that infinitesimally hard to perceive more sound for their price point. Is this not an example of price point induced FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out)? What is the price to satiate our insanity? If you can't afford a DAVE (like me), then be happy settling with the Hugo 2 and then meditate the rest of the insanity away with some good music to meditate to!!!! 
.....i'm so far from audiophile research of unreacheable perfection....that i listen to hugo almost from its bluetooth input. ....and my most loved songs sound sooooo good through it and my leben and spendors....i could not be happier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back