Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 6, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #7,816 of 22,475
if you had been unlucky more than once i doubt you would be so critical of others. we all bought H2 for how it sounds. and it is bad luck nothing more nothing less. whether on the side of chord or the customer something went wrong somewhere and the blame game achieves nothing. its just bad luck.

i think the problem may be when using a cck3 cable to connect an ipad/iphone whilst at the same time charging the ipad/phone. it was after that the usb problem occured with my H2 like max said?

Thanks for the warning. I'm an iPhone/iPad user. I'll stick to just fully charging them before connecting to my H2.

Sep 6, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #7,817 of 22,475
Have you compared USB to optical via TOSLINK. Way back Rob aluded to the lack of SQ differences between USB and TOSLINK from his laptop using a generic optical cable with the H2

Yes but not exactly the pure comparison you'd be hoping for since my laptop lacks an optical output.

What I've done is a comparison of:
1. RWAK240 > Silver Dragon Toslink > Hugo 2 > LCDi4 vs
2. Roon > QED Ref USB > ISO Regen/LPS-1 > USPCB adapter > Hugo 2 > LCDi4.

With the IR/LPS-1, music sounded more 'present' especially in the midrange/lower treble... also, noticeably greater speed, clarity, dynamics, and instrument separation... all the usual cliches.. The AK240 over Toslink optical sounded more muffled, not as 'large'... guitar plucks more muddy, etc..

Havent yet tested Roon > USB vs RWAK240 > Optical

Hugo2 w ISO Regen. Galavanic Isolation + reclocking. Isolation gel pads (tbh more for angling the Hugo 2 toward me, but any offset vibration benefits much welcomed). Trying to address any benefits the TT has over the H2 as much as possible...

omq5uGzl.jpg

2u6HUNUl.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #7,818 of 22,475
So I just took delivery of my Hugo 2 and literally just unboxed it for no more than 30 minutes. Did a quick rattle test after all the horror stories and found nothing so I plugged it to my PC and connected my Sony Z1R to it and played some usual test songs. When I got to Suara's Kimi no Kawari 11.2MHz DSD recording I heard a faint male voice in the background saying "dozo" (please/go ahead etc) at the very beginning about 3-4 seconds before the piano started playing. Must've been the sound engineer telling the band he was ready for recording but they didn't edit it out because even they must've missed it during final processing. I never noticed that before and I'm not even trying to listening critically. The resolution is simply amazing.....

Sep 6, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #7,822 of 22,475
Pls advice me to select one of : Hugo2 - Ak380 - (A&K)Sp1000.
I want to choose a best one suit for multi purpose of use with current device : Shure Kse1500, Ak120ii, HD800S and HDVD800 amp, HD650 and a desktop tube amp.
If tend to transportation Ak380 or SP1000 will pair better with kse1500?
If tend to desktop use, will Hugo2 kills those AK when use as a dac? If it makes a difference as day and night, I will go for Hugo2.
Btw how big change between Hugo and Hugo2? Hugo is much cheaper than Hugo2 in my location.

Thanks for reading

Sep 6, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #7,825 of 22,475
Can someone please point me to tech specs that speak to the following. I'm receiving conflicting information from two trusted sources.

This goes back to the hardware vs software upsampling conversation, chord vs Roon. With the Hugo, does this upsampling take place at the USB input? Meaning, if I choose to connect via coax instead of USB do I give up Chord's upsampling capabilities? One user is saying yes, another is saying no. Thanks in advance..

Sep 6, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #7,826 of 22,475
Can someone please point me to tech specs that speak to the following. I'm receiving conflicting information from two trusted sources.

This goes back to the hardware vs software upsampling conversation, chord vs Roon. With the Hugo, does this upsampling take place at the USB input? Meaning, if I choose to connect via coax instead of USB do I give up Chord's upsampling capabilities? One user is saying yes, another is saying no. Thanks in advance..
I believe the answer is no. Upsampling is done via Rob Watts's coding. The 16FS and 256FS refers to various rates of upsampling, after which the upsampling is taken to 2048FS. Is this right, @Rob Watts? Or am I just confusing the questioner?

Sep 6, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #7,827 of 22,475
I believe the answer is no. Upsampling is done via Rob Watts's coding. The 16FS and 256FS refers to various rates of upsampling, after which the upsampling is taken to 2048FS. Is this right, @Rob Watts? Or am I just confusing the questioner?
Yes all inputs are treated the same, but it's vital that you ensure the source does not up-sample - I think this is the cause of the confusion, as the USB input can be via a PC based up-sampler. PC's do not have the processing capability of Hugo 2.

Sep 6, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #7,828 of 22,475
I received a 2nd hand Hugo 2 that was purchased in March and shipped in July. As I flip the unit top to bottom, I hear a rattling. I hold the buttons as I do this and no noise is heard. So it seems that the buttons are loose. Is this expected?

Sep 6, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #7,829 of 22,475
I received a 2nd hand Hugo 2 that was purchased in March and shipped in July. As I flip the unit top to bottom, I hear a rattling. I hold the buttons as I do this and no noise is heard. So it seems that the buttons are loose. Is this expected?

The rattle is normal.

Excellent! That's a relief. Thanks Rob

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #7,830 of 22,475

Well, my balls rattle, but other than that everything seems to be working fine and it doesn't affect the SQ unless you shake it to hear the rattle while playing music :wink:

Reading through this thread though, I'm not sure if everyone's balls rattle, or you and I are just special?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back