Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 16, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #7,171 of 22,516
I don't actually use a silver USB cable. I did on the other hand just get a silver plated Nordost power cable for the amplifier that I use for my speaker system. I have no idea how it does it, but it sure makes a difference for the sound quality, for the better. I also use silver plated speaker cables and I can't complain about them. I do however have copper OCC Furukawa speaker cables incoming and I will let you know how they sound compared to the silver plated ones if anyone is interested.

At the end of the day it is just a hobby. Trying different cables is fun, and if you can improve the SQ, great.

hey what can i say...I've also drunk from the cables voodoo/koolaid jug...
taken some big gulps, enough to finally spring for the curious usb cable for mojo/hugo...280mm for US$160.
(at bottom of page) http://www.curiouscables.com/buy.html
but i do like their 30 day money back guarantee (so unlike other retailers there is no 'restocking'/discount fee).
sure $160 is still not cheap..but it's not like $300-500 either.

using it from my microrendu to mojo (sold my 'desktop' ifi micro setup) so mojo is doing dual purpose now as both desktop and portable.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #7,172 of 22,516
I would suggest using the trial version of Roon or some other front end until Tidal fixes the issue. I'm 100% roon on my MAC but 90% of my content is from Tidal and I'm not having any issues. Roon is fantastic and odds are you'll want to keep it when the trial ends.
HELLO THERE

I'm also having problems in Tidal App on my macbook. Had to disable the exclusive mode.

Aug 16, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #7,173 of 22,516
Anyway is it safe to use the hugo2 while charging? It runs rather warm when i plug big headphones like these.

I hope it could be updated that we could use it on desktop mode at will.

*doggo for scale*
Dear Hany, If you take the case off it won't get as hot :ksc75smile:

Aug 16, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #7,174 of 22,516
The black finish is anodised not painted. This process etches and microscopically opens up the pores of the aluminium a black dye is introduced into the pores microscopic holes then they are closed down locking in the black surface right into the aluminium itself. It's very tough and far better that paint.

Thats good to hear John. Thank you! Getting my black Hugo 2 by Friday hopefully....

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #7,175 of 22,516
plugged in 3.5mm headphone jack of my large beyers into 3.5mm headphone connection same static and distortion and lower volume output as with the mee iem. two hugo 2's both faulty. first one with unresponsive volume dial. unbelievable. quarter inch connection working perfectly with beyers.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #7,177 of 22,516
Aug 16, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #7,179 of 22,516
plugged in 3.5mm headphone jack of my large beyers into 3.5mm headphone connection same static and distortion and lower volume output as with the mee iem. two hugo 2's both faulty. first one with unresponsive volume dial. unbelievable. quarter inch connection working perfectly with beyers.

Can you certainly say that the adapter can't be the cause?
I had an expensive furutec adapter cause similar problems with Mojo...

EDIT : quess I read your message wrongly...

Cheers

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #7,181 of 22,516
i did not use any adaptors. i thought it would be interesting to listen to an entry level iem and heard static and distortion. i tried the 3.5mm jack of my large beyers same distortion. the iem's sounded fine straight out of my mac book air no distortion. with the 3.5mm connection the beyers also played far quieter on the same volume colour as with quarter inch connection. very upsetting.

Aug 16, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #7,182 of 22,516
For Hooster as a single guy and postgrad finances can be erratic but of course life's priorities come first. some funds will become available in december so a premium headphone is on the way. auditioning for sound and comfort is difficult to arrange.

I am sorry to hear that. If you are ever lucky enough to travel to Japan, then welcome to headphone heaven. You can bring your own source and spend the day auditioning headphones if you like. The sales assistants will be happy and delighted to help you. There are huge stores that carry a massive selection of headphones. Too bad it is so difficult to arrange where you live.

Aug 16, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #7,183 of 22,516

Don't worry, Chord has set aside units that can be used as replacements. Be patient.

Aug 16, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #7,184 of 22,516
For Kyle i know exactly how you feel i was in your position not so long ago. the envy isn't personal its more of an empty void in yourself especially if the hugo 2 is a sizeable investment as i'm sure it is for some of us like myself.

For Hooster as a single guy and postgrad finances can be erratic but of course life's priorities come first. some funds will become available in december so a premium headphone is on the way. auditioning for sound and comfort is difficult to arrange.

two small points if anyone can help: 1) i've switched from wired ethernet imac to wifi macbook air. i have a very good 150mbps connection and never had dropouts etc. they both sound identical streaming tidal. is there any advantage or disadvantage using wifi for tidal vs wired connection?

2) with a budget of around 800 pounds would a top of the range iem something really special give me better SQ than normal over ear headphones? this is a bit of a generalisation but wondering what people think. thanks mk
I use these, but you could probably get the newer xelento instead. Any IEM that provides more detail than these must be special, but the neutral but well defined bass, will not suit bassheads.

Aug 16, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #7,185 of 22,516
has it ever happened one customer two faulty units? experimenting with my basic iem from mee and large beyers through 3.5mm connection has not been good today.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back