Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 13, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #5,702 of 22,475
MUST

AUDITION

Any help around Phx, Az? Just can't see pushing that "Buy Now" button at this price without a listen..

Thanks for any help,
Drew

Jul 13, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #5,703 of 22,475
My second day with the Hugo 2 and these are my thoughts on it:

Bottom-line, significantly better than the Mojo in terms of clarity/transparency, resolution, imaging, air/soundstage, more natural voices. Clearly brighter sound than Mojo (but not too much). With the Hugo 2 you are looking at musing through a much cleaner window than when using Mojo and you can really get in-your-veins music feeling moments.

Mojos offers warmed and more intimate sound. The so called “Mojo” filters on the Hugo 2 are not a true equivalent to the Mojo, which remains warmer and obviously more intimate (narrower soundstage).

To my ears going from the Mojo to the Hugo 2 was an easy-to-note improvement, and by improvement I don’t mean a placebo 5% but a significant jump forward. Same when compared to a DAP such as the Pioneer XDP-300R (as it should be given the price difference).

Crossfeed function can be clearly audible but is headphone dependent, it helped a lot with my B&O H6, not so much with my Beyerdynamic T5P 2nd Gen. I think it’s a better implemented option than the 3D function found on the Ifi Ican Pro (which is already pretty good), in terms of simulating a sound coming from your front. It can really help placing voices in front of you.

Filters are very (very) subtle to note, you need to focus, and is mostly notable between the two extreme filters (white and red).

I’m still experimenting but I’m already happy with my purchase, I was afraid of spending all this money on something slightly better than a Mojo, but that’s not the case here. This DAC/Amp can even make not-so-expensive headphones sound as you would have not expected (e.g. B&O H6 or Sony MDR-1A).

No surprising or weird rattling sounds (as I already own a Mojo), I’m using the Hugo 2 while charging via USB and it doesn’t get warmer than Mojo does. Hugo 2 looks and feels (very) good quality.

Worth the price? Well, subjective stuff and it seems it may depend on where you are located. I’m sure it can at least compete face-to-face with similarly priced desktop DACs. Last weekend I was able to briefly audition the Sony Z1R connected to the TA-ZH1ES (I liked this combo quite a lot) and let’s just say I don’t feel I’m getting less with the Hugo 2.

Notes to Chord representatives: (1) Good job (2) Please keep prices consistent to avoid forum shopping. It makes no sense having to pay 2400 Euros in Europe when we can order it for 1800 GBP from the UK (one way or another), even the US price is less, we can even get an Yggdrasil (not portable I know) for less than the Hugo 2, which makes you think twice. I my case I bought the Hugo 2 because I got a bundle deal during a VAT free day, so the price was even lower than the UK retail one.

Hope this helps.

Jul 13, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #5,704 of 22,475
4.gif
I hope I don't get electrocuted :-D

Jul 13, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #5,705 of 22,475
i will post my impressions in a day or two. cheers to all MK. (small query: is it normal for H2 to make a small vibrating type sensation to the touch when charging for the first time?)

DSCF0127.JPG DSCF0128.JPG DSCF0129.JPG DSCF0130.JPG

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #5,707 of 22,475
thanks so i'm waiting for the grey light to indicate full charge then i can play it for the first time.!!!

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #5,708 of 22,475
My second day with the Hugo 2 and these are my thoughts on it:

(2) Please keep prices consistent to avoid forum shopping. It makes no sense having to pay 2400 Euros in Europe when we can order it for 1800 GBP from the UK (one way or another), even the US price is less,

As someone who lives in Scandinavia I have to agree this. It makes buying the the more expensive models (e.g. TT and Dave) almost out of reach (compared to the UK prices anyway).

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #5,709 of 22,475
My H2 was just delivered from AudioAdvice, it's gorgeous in silver! Pics to follow later today. Just waiting for it to finished charging.

Initial thoughts, it's tiny, and I'm bummed the control marbles are fixed, compared to the mojos which you can fiddle around with.

Can't wait to hear it

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #5,710 of 22,475
Sting tidal lossless shape of my heart. astounded it is a WHOLE and "entire" in its presentation.

will continue to post one line reviews of each song i discover until 7am in the morning!! not really ha ha.

Jul 13, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #5,712 of 22,475
for Relic: hugo 2 showed as clock source straight away. happy there. only thing why does source read default? thanks again. hugo really comes alive with EDM. "Feel Mahmut Orhan" crossfeed on max adds great 3 dimensionality a must for EDM.

Jul 13, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #5,714 of 22,475
Couple of questions for the Chord folks...

1) Any ETA for when it will be landing in the US? (Each month we get told it's next month...)
2) What was the thought process behind sticking with micro-USB, rather than moving to USB-C?

1. The first batch was already delivered to dealers and customers over a week ago, next batch is apparently due August.

2. Micro-USB was implemented for ease of use and worldwide popularity.

JF can add a little more info if he likes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back