Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Apr 24, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #3,182 of 22,540

I think you meant Audio Lounge.  But they appear to be supplying only the Mojo from Chord.

Apologies Audio Lounge is correct. I would be really surprised if they restricted their offering to Mojo only. These guys retail some very high end equipment including Stax, Diavalet etc. But seeing how I now live in Tokyo not London take my recommendation with a pinch of salt.

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #3,183 of 22,540
Take your time Chord, make it perfect, some of us are still saving up :grinning:

Wise words indeed, Neo Zuko...the best things are worth waiting for! (even though it looks like my original end-May shipping might not happen right on time...
redface.gif
). And in the meantime, I shall continue to enjoy my (Sabre 9018-based) custom tube DAC, wondering all the while how H2 can possibly surpass it, now I have the Naim Uniticore CD ripper/SSD or HDD player/server/streamer doing unbelievable things for it lol!
But then I remember the joy of just 30 secs' trial at our local Milton Keynes meet, and I get even more excited at the prospect of Naim + Hugo 2 feeding my HP amp and T1s!!
biggrin.gif

And speaking of the Naim - and H2 delays - I can assure all those (im)patiently waiting that it is indeed FAR better to receive a properly finished product....amazing though the UnitiCore is, it was obviously released WAY too early, with various 'buggy' frustrations that do a hi-end manufacturer no favours whatsoever!!!  I was sorely tempted to take it straight back to the dealer, but now you'd have to kill me for it! - and they're still sorting certain things. So hats off to Chord!!...the only sensible thing to do in the long term...
wink_face.gif
...(But I do sincerely hope the wait won't be too much longer lol! :) ).

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #3,184 of 22,540
  Apologies Audio Lounge is correct. I would be really surprised if they restricted their offering to Mojo only. These guys retail some very high end equipment including Stax, Diavalet etc. But seeing how I now live in Tokyo not London take my recommendation with a pinch of salt.

Just checked, they sell the complete Chord range. BTW I have no affiliation with them, just wondered in one day and ended up with a demo of their original Sennheiser Orpheus, memorable!

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #3,185 of 22,540

Just checked, they sell the complete Chord range. BTW I have no affiliation with them, just wondered in one day and ended up with a demo of their original Sennheiser Orpheus, memorable!

Thanks for that ! A few of the Richer Sounds shops I emailed said they only have access to Mojo and not Hugo

Whether they will have stock in a few weeks, that's another story (might be completely sold out for a while). I'll flick them an email now

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #3,186 of 22,540

Reply from Audio Lunge: "Unfortunately we are not stockists of the Hugo (we only stock the Mojo). The Hugo has a different supplier to the Mojo which is why we do not stock."

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #3,189 of 22,540
Does anyone still plan on using a Mojo (+ Poly or not) after the Hugo 2 comes out? Would you still have bought the Mojo again after the Hugo 2's release? Or does the Hugo 2 replace the idea of the Mojo for you as it's that much closer to a mobile Dave?

Apr 24, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #3,190 of 22,540
Hello,

New to this thread. Have been following for some time and have learned a great deal. Also amazed at participation by Robert Watts and John Franks.

I have a question re: signal conditioning upstream (network audio adapter, such as Sonore microRendu, with associated power conditioning) and downstream (Pass HPA-1) of a Hugo2. Should I expect sound quality improvement with either/both of these relative to what I'd hear coming directly off an Aurender Music Server run directly into the Hugo2?

Plan on listening with headphones exclusively. I had the amazing opportunity to hear a Brooklyn DAC with a downstream HPA-1 using Focal Utopias and Elears at Drew Baird's shop in Cary, NC (Moon Audio) and it was very impressive. I hadn't previously considered a headphone amplifier downstream from a Chord DAC. Currently using Chord Mojo with Focal Elears and I now understand detail and soundstage I've been missing with my current setup.

I understand that the Hugo2 isn't yet available. Perhaps I should have suggested the Hugo itself. Same issues should apply to either.

Thank you.

Apr 24, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #3,191 of 22,540
First, thank you for the kind comments. The civility found here has been heavily influenced by lots of posters, including Mython and Mike; both enthusiastic about the products that we discuss here.

Secondly, regarding this thread, I learn a lot here, and the impressions and dialog have been interesting. Other than outright hostile name calling, please don't shut down a thread. I do not like silencing others just as I don't like to be silenced myself.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #3,192 of 22,540
  Hello,

New to this thread. Have been following for some time and have learned a great deal. Also amazed at participation by Robert Watts and John Franks.

I have a question re: signal conditioning upstream (network audio adapter, such as Sonore microRendu, with associated power conditioning) and downstream (Pass HPA-1) of a Hugo2. Should I expect sound quality improvement with either/both of these relative to what I'd hear coming directly off an Aurender Music Server run directly into the Hugo2?

Plan on listening with headphones exclusively. I had the amazing opportunity to hear a Brooklyn DAC with a downstream HPA-1 using Focal Utopias and Elears at Drew Baird's shop in Cary, NC (Moon Audio) and it was very impressive. I hadn't previously considered a headphone amplifier downstream from a Chord DAC. Currently using Chord Mojo with Focal Elears and I now understand detail and soundstage I've been missing with my current setup.

I understand that the Hugo2 isn't yet available. Perhaps I should have suggested the Hugo itself. Same issues should apply to either.

Thank you.

I would normally question the use of another amp after a Hugo2, but it is hard to go wrong with something like the HPA-1.

Apr 24, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #3,193 of 22,540
Does anyone still plan on using a Mojo (+ Poly or not) after the Hugo 2 comes out? Would you still have bought the Mojo again after the Hugo 2's release? Or does the Hugo 2 replace the idea of the Mojo for you as it's that much closer to a mobile Dave?

This is a good question, but one that's hard to answer until you have a few people make comparisons. I currently use the 2Qute for home and Mojo at office. I have been very happy with both. When I initially placed order for the Hugo2 (I just cancelled my order), I had planned on comparing the three. My hope, at least initially, was that the Hugo2 would replace the 2Qute and Mojo. With the Hugo2 having a Mojo-like filter, I can't imagine a situation where you would want/need both. But I'd be less sure about taking the 2Qute out of my home system. It's just crazy good. So, unless the Hugo2 is significantly better, the 2Qute stays. The 2Qute is simply amazing for the price and should not be dismissed as "last year's tech." I've heard a few people say they're waiting for the "3Qute." But, if you need a straight-DAC (without amp) and budget ~$1000, the 2Qute should be on your shortlist of DACs to demo. If you need an amp/DAC, I would buy the Mojo without hesitation. If you can wait and budget permits, buy the Hugo2. But, I see no reason to own both.

Apr 24, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #3,194 of 22,540

This is a good question, but one that's hard to answer until you have a few people make comparisons. I currently use the 2Qute for home and Mojo at office. I have been very happy with both. When I initially placed order for the Hugo2 (I just cancelled my order), I had planned on comparing the three. My hope, at least initially, was that the Hugo2 would replace the 2Qute and Mojo. With the Hugo2 having a Mojo-like filter, I can't imagine a situation where you would want/need both. But I'd be less sure about taking the 2Qute out of my home system. It's just crazy good. So, unless the Hugo2 is significantly better, the 2Qute stays. The 2Qute is simply amazing for the price and should not be dismissed as "last year's tech." I've heard a few people say they're waiting for the "3Qute." But, if you need a straight-DAC (without amp) and budget ~$1000, the 2Qute should be on your shortlist of DACs to demo. If you need an amp/DAC, I would buy the Mojo without hesitation. If you can wait and budget permits, buy the Hugo2. But, I see no reason to own both.

Actually, the 2Qute may not be a good for solution for some if their amp can't handle a 3Vrms input. This is one of the reasons I passed on the 2Qute when looking for a desktop DAC. On the flip side the Hugo2 shares the same principle output path as the 2Qute (Hugo2 is more or less a straight DAC as well, with obviously lower output impedance for headphones), but is able to digitally adjust the output down if needed for the attached amp. It's encouraging to read Rob's posts about the improved battery charging management in the Hugo2 to use in a desktop scenario. Of course budget is a consideration as well.

Apr 24, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #3,195 of 22,540
  First, thank you for the kind comments.  The civility found here has been heavily influenced by lots of posters, including Mython and Mike; both enthusiastic about the products that we discuss here.  

Secondly, regarding this thread, I learn a lot here, and the impressions and dialog have been interesting. Other than outright hostile name calling, please don't shut down a thread.  I do not like silencing others just as I don't like to be silenced myself.  

Thirdly, Mojo v Hugo 2. 

We have both Hugo 2 and Poly on order.  "We" is my wife and I. 

The poly should serve us well, especially as a storage for off-line content, but also in streaming.  

My concern is something I have sought to find answers here:  does Hugo 2's higher detail 'spoil' the use of Mojo?  I have found Mojo to spoil me so much that when I did not have Mojo (repair), I did not enjoy my music to the point where I stopped listening.  It was that dull.  

I love learning here and appreciate those who put things in non-technical terms for me.  I have been able to compare Mojo to a bunch of other DACS and it is clearly better.  During the first 6 months, I found my brain adjusting to the higher detail.  

I think the same thing may happen with Hugo 2, but is the difference so much that I won't enjoy Mojo?  I intend to continue to use Mojo during exercise, so there is some distraction going on, but I am prepared to fall in love with Hugo 2 to the point of thinking..."hmm, maybe I better not share Hugo 2 too much with my wife, lest..."

Nah, that's just me humoring myself.  We will use the two Hugo 2 inputs at night the way others have described.  

I know exactly where you are with this concern as I experienced the same sort of thing when I purchased the Hugo some 30 odd months ago.
It is for this very reason that I never want to audition the Dave unless I am in a position to afford it.
I've grown accustomed to what the Hugo can deliver, both through my main speaker setup and with headphones. I will always prefer to route a stereo source through Hugo for speakers, but I am happy with the output of my Opus#1 balanced to K10s whilst out and about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back