Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Apr 9, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #2,686 of 22,475
even though i do own a ipad mini retina 2 the point is android users should have the freedom to migrate to iOS with no holds barred if in the future they choose to without a hugo 2 poly purchase. complete freedom of choice. if apple revert then all will be well for all dac/amp manufacturers. unlikely though. i feel trapped right now. being compelled to switch to android for a uniquely beautiful device such as hugo2 can surely not be the final word.:frowning2:  
I've got my trusty Htc 10 so hopefully that will work with a hugo 2

Apr 9, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #2,687 of 22,475
Hey Paul,

Maxwell did nothing for me different strokes...lol 

im listening to anthony wilson trio album called our gang right now. try that....

don't you feel boxed in if we don't have the option to meddle with iOS devices? my lovely ipad mini retina 2 is all alone right now. getting an android phone is easy. i want freedom of choice for £1800. does a phone that doesn't support hires audio matter if you feed it into a hugo2.

Apr 9, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #2,688 of 22,475
  even though i do own a ipad mini retina 2 the point is android users should have the freedom to migrate to iOS with no holds barred if in the future they choose to without a hugo 2 poly purchase. complete freedom of choice. if apple revert then all will be well for all dac/amp manufacturers. unlikely though. i feel trapped right now. being compelled to switch to android for a uniquely beautiful device such as hugo2 can surely not be the final word.
frown.gif

Oh my lord, it's Apple's fault.  Put the blame where it belongs.  The so-called "brick" is the Apple being thrown at your down-stream products; being Chord, Oppo or whatever.
If one chooses to be locked into the IOS world, well, you know how they work after all these years.  Android may be the way to go.  At least it seems to be more open and flexible than IProducts.  So, quit shooting the cart if the horse won't pull it.

Apr 9, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #2,689 of 22,475
as i stated before its apple's fault not chord or oppo or anyone else. but what about the thousands of current mojo users yielding trusty iphones? oppo released a statement saying its game over for HA2. I can't believe that chord will, can, or would do that. so if they can for mojo they can for hugo2. i know Rob is so smart a leading engineer in his field he will remain one step ahead!! call me fanboy or whatever it is.

Apr 9, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #2,690 of 22,475
Hey Paul,

Maxwell did nothing for me different strokes...lol 

im listening to anthony wilson trio album called our gang right now. try that....

don't you feel boxed in if we don't have the option to meddle with iOS devices? my lovely ipad mini retina 2 is all alone right now. getting an android phone is easy. i want freedom of choice for £1800. does a phone that doesn't support hires audio matter if you feed it into a hugo2.
Alright mate shame you didn't like it, I'll try that one mate cheers

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #2,691 of 22,475
Oh my lord, it's Apple's fault.  Put the blame where it belongs.  The so-called "brick" is the Apple being thrown at your down-stream products; being Chord, Oppo or whatever.
If one chooses to be locked into the IOS world, well, you know how they work after all these years.  Android may be the way to go.  At least it seems to be more open and flexible than IProducts.  So, quit shooting the cart if the horse won't pull it.

If you read my post carefully you will see that I did not attribute any blame to Chord.

I simply stated that at the present time Chord products are having difficulties working with iOS devices.

Apr 9, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #2,692 of 22,475
is it just me or is no one in the slightest bit concerned about the possible lack of compatibility with iOS. I was looking forward to hooking up the hugo 2 to my ipad mini retina 2 on trips or travel. Rob has kindly told me that Chord are actively looking into it. its a major issue on the mojo thread and oppo have all but given up on their ha2 even though its mfi certified. this may well be the biggest issue for chord right now but no one mentions it?? how many potential iphone/ipad/ipod users in terms of customers lost could this trigger and cost in profit. thousands of users. anyhow i'll be using it at home 90% of the time via my imac but what's bugging me is that i'm spending £1800 and i may be under limitations already from the very start. its bugging me what do folk think? i eagerly await Rob's response and i have full trust in chord. this is apple's fault not chord or oppo or anyone else.

There is a lot of human psychology involved.
In simple terms there are two paths to follow, when an issue like this arises.

1 - some people have gone straight for this path. The symptoms include switch into immediate panic mode, throw toys out of the pram, have a good rant at the easiest target, and then choose their solution - and all of this before it is clear what the original root cause was.

2 - the engineers option, which is to research, test, analyse etc, to discover what the root cause is, then make an informed decision as to the best solution. There is no need to slip into panic mode,

There are a lot of chord owners who are interested in the solution to this Apple issue, but some of us are adopting path 2, and waiting for the best solution to appear.

I have already posted that there is evidence that the root cause is that the chip (in the cable, or inside the dac) now needs to draw less power than before. If so, then the solution could be to buy new cables containing these chips - unfortunate, but not the end of the world!

Apr 9, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #2,693 of 22,475
I've heard the wa8 and Hugo2. My money is going to Hugo2 if that's anything to go by. They seem to be 2 very different sounds. The wa8 is not as detailed and the highs are veiled compared to Hugo2. The wa8 has an easy sound to it and sometimes almost generic but other times not. Has more power than I expected it to have. hard to explain the sound exactly. I'd say it's born to be a bigger sound but then those little tubes are constricting it's expansion so it makes it seem fat.

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #2,694 of 22,475
we're only human so slight apprehension is normal and only highlights what high expectations we have for the product. sometimes staying cool and collected when faced with a problem guarantees invisibility.
cool.gif

do you mean cck cables?

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #2,695 of 22,475
we're only human so slight apprehension is normal and only highlights what high expectations we have for the product. sometimes staying cool and collected when faced with a problem guarantees invisibility.:cool:  

do you mean cck cables?

The cables used to connect Apple mobile devices to other devices, whether Apple manufactured or third party equivalents.
As long as they contain a chip, they could be vulnerable to the new need to operate in a lower power mode.

Apr 9, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #2,696 of 22,475
could it be that apple engineers were really unaware that the update to iOS 10.3.1 would results in these reported failures? so the whole fiasco is just an unfortunate set of events and apple is not to blame? i read your theory concerning the correlation between cell mast to phone distance and the manner by which this affects the connection to mojo's. to replace chips in dacs across all manufacturers seems a colossus task assuming its not a cable fault or both. i hope the cause of this problem is eliminated very soon.

Apr 9, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #2,697 of 22,475
as i stated before its apple's fault not chord or oppo or anyone else. but what about the thousands of current mojo users yielding trusty iphones?oppo released a statement saying its game over for HA2. I can't believe that chord will, can, or would do that. so if they can for mojo they can for hugo2. i know Rob is so smart a leading engineer in his field he will remain one step ahead!! call me fanboy or whatever it is.

Thousands of users is irrelevant in Apple's world. Over the period of October 2015 to July 2016 there were over 200 million iPhones sold - source. And that's not including iPods or iPads.

Let's be extremely generous and say that there are around 2 million users worldwide that use some form of external DAC/Amp with their iToy, that's less than 1% of the iPhone sales over less than one year.

In Apple's world you are not a priority - at all.

Also consider that the biggest complaint that Apple receives about iToys is the battery life, so anything that is likely to affect that, such as external devices drawing power from the lightning port, is a problem point for Apple, and therefore Apple will take steps to minimise those complaints.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Apple were to limit the functionality of the lightning port to eliminate unnecessary power draw, and not to mention also to favour their own devices.

Apr 9, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #2,698 of 22,475
May I suggest that people who are having problems with Apple products discuss these problems in the appropriate, Apple, forums? This thread is about Hugo2. Chord is not going to solve any issues Apple has. Apple may or may not to do that themselves. I consider this endless discussion about problems with Apple off topic. (Don't bother Rob, bother Apple).

Apple is interested in selling their products, having consumers that use their products from start to finish and regularly buy new Apple products when the time of planned obsolescence has been reached. They have no reason to care about how their products work with niche high end hifi. For this reason I would not count on Apple products working with Chord, Oppo, etc... 

There are products out there that do what these Apple products do just as well and for less money. No one is forcing anyone to buy Apple products.

Apr 9, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #2,699 of 22,475
  G'day again @Rob Watts

The Hugo 2 technical presentation is a little beyond me even though I enjoy going through it ! I'm one of those people that loves reading about 'what's under the hood'.

In simple terms, for a simple man like me, has jitter rejection improved in Hugo 2 over Hugo 1 and Mojo, on all it's digital inputs?

Or has jitter been eliminated to such a point even in Hugo 1 and Mojo that there is no further need for more jitter elimination?

When I see 'jitter is eliminated' by various Dac manufacturers, I sometimes don't know if eliminated means 95% reduced, 99% reduced, 99.9999% reduced or actually 100% reduced (eliminated).

I'm not asking about the number (unless it's actually already 100% eliminated on Hugo 1 and Mojo !) but just asking if it's further improved over Hugo 1 and Mojo or if it's at the point where it's so low that you have no need to do any more work on it !

Cheers again mate !

Given that USB the timing comes from the DAC - and with HP I could not hear any difference between optical and USB - then I would say this problem has been audibly eliminated - at least with the source I used to do the listening tests.

All forms of jitter has been eliminated from a measurement POV....

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #2,700 of 22,475
 G'day again @Rob Watts

The Hugo 2 technical presentation is a little beyond me even though I enjoy going through it ! I'm one of those people that loves reading about 'what's under the hood'.

In simple terms, for a simple man like me, has jitter rejection improved in Hugo 2 over Hugo 1 and Mojo, on all it's digital inputs?

Or has jitter been eliminated to such a point even in Hugo 1 and Mojo that there is no further need for more jitter elimination?

When I see 'jitter is eliminated' by various Dac manufacturers, I sometimes don't know if eliminated means 95% reduced, 99% reduced, 99.9999% reduced or actually 100% reduced (eliminated).

I'm not asking about the number (unless it's actually already 100% eliminated on Hugo 1 and Mojo !) but just asking if it's further improved over Hugo 1 and Mojo or if it's at the point where it's so low that you have no need to do any more work on it !

Cheers again mate !

Given that USB the timing comes from the DAC - and with HP I could not hear any difference between optical and USB - then I would say this problem has been audibly eliminated - at least with the source I used to do the listening tests.

All forms of jitter has been eliminated from a measurement POV....

Nice, cheers again Rob

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back