Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Dec 19, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #21,616 of 22,535
Hugo2 has a line out mode out of the RCAs as well. And what comes out of the headphone socket has a volume control, hence... an amplifier.

Hell, it's even in it's name.

Chord Hugo 2 Transportable DAC Headphone Amplifier <---- what is this ?

It says it right on the box. "Transportable FPGA DAC/headphone amplifier". it's a dac/amp. a dac plus a headphone amplifier. Some dacs don't have a headphone amplifier, a volume control, or headphone jacks. That's what i meant by "amp section".

I don't want to get into a silly war with you over semantics of what does or doesn't constitute an "amp section". All I'm saying is... Hugo2 sounds better when it's going into some other amps I have over RCA in lineout mode and using another amp to amplify the line out than I think it does from it's headphone jack. With some equipment anyway.

Have you tried comparing ? Do you have another amp besides the Hugo2 ?
So much wrong here but I see others have chipped in to correct most of this now.

Yes there is no 'amp section'. Both the headphone outs and RCA outs are connected together and to the output of the pulse array DAC.

Yes the volume control is digital. It is performed in the FPGA as part of the WTA filtering.

Yes it is possible to select a line level of 3V. This merely moves the digital volume control to this specific level. This applies to both the RCA outputs and the headphone outputs since they are one and the same thing.

What has not been mentioned yet is that line level is not a mode. It is not fixed. You can still change the volume by moving the volume orb or using the remote control. Some amps won't like 3V and it may be necessary to back off a little. A few clicks on the remote is an easy way to do this.

An external amp can only sound better by virtue of being louder or by adding colourations that the listener prefers. Adding extra connections and components in the signal path cannot increase transparency so the output of an external amp cannot ever be objectively better than a direct connection to the pulse array DAC. Subjective impressions are another matter.

Someone asked if Hugo2 has enough output to drive a power amp. Most power amps have an input specification in the range 0.5V to 1V for full output so yes the Hugo2 has more than enough for that purpose. Consult the specifications of your power amp as this specification should always be stated.

Dec 19, 2022 at 5:22 AM Post #21,618 of 22,535
Does Hugo 2 + 2Go + IER-Z1R combo offer better sound quality than Hugo 2 + IER-Z1R + MacBook Air/Pro combo?
What's with the pattern of asking a question, deleting it, then asking exactly the same question again? And to make matters worse, then also asking exactly the same question on different threads?

Spoiler alert: it won't motivate people to reply to you, it'll just annoy them.

Dec 19, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #21,619 of 22,535
Does Hugo 2 + 2Go + IER-Z1R combo offer better sound quality than Hugo 2 + IER-Z1R + MacBook Air/Pro combo?
One of these is a lot cheaper than a 2Go:

https://ifi-audio.com/products/ipurifier3/

Also the MacBook gives you better options for selecting and playing your music than those needed to command the 2Go.

The 2Go does have it own thread and there are lots of impressions there:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...er-and-s-pdif-adaptor-official-thread.925464/

Happy reading!

Not sure if it was this thread or another but there has been some chatter about ground loops when using USB. I own and have successfully used the iFi Audio iGalvanic to cure this problem and it works very well but it is expensive. If I were having ground loop issues today, I would try one of these:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/smsl-po100.25923/

...and use the optical output into the Hugo2. A lot cheaper than a USB isolator. Note that the iPurifier2/3 does not cure ground loops. There are some other cheaper iFi products that claim to break ground loops but I haven't tried them. However for similar cost, I think going optical probably has more benefits (albeit you will be limited to 192k sample rate if that matters to you).

Dec 19, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #21,620 of 22,535
One of these is a lot cheaper than a 2Go:

https://ifi-audio.com/products/ipurifier3/
The ifi ipurifier3 costs £150, and has not been received all that well.
Hence, why I suggested the Topping HS01 at £70, which has been received well and measures well.
That's less than half price, depending on where you go.
See here:
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2022/03/measurements-topping-hs01-usb-20.html
If anyone has a USB noise issue, then at £70 it is the solution.
I have one, while I used it, it worked perfectly. I then, fixed my earthing on my amp, and I don't need to use it any longer.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #21,621 of 22,535
The ifi ipurifier3 costs £150, and has not been received all that well.
True. I didn't pay anything like that for any of mine (I have about 4 of the things at last count including one mk3, the others are mk2).

If a ground loop is the issue, an iFi iDefender+ will break it for £59 and also allows the injection of a cleaner power supply. It also supports USB3.0.

If I was starting again though, I would try one of these USB->optical converters.

Dec 19, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #21,622 of 22,535

No unless you have a ground loop issue. In which case just buy a ground loop isolator as I and another person suggested. If you don’t have that… how can you improve sound quality?

- Play around with EQ
- Get a new headphone
- Get into upsampling
- See if tube amps are your thing
- If you’re running music below CD quality then make sure your library is CD quality or higher
- Get a Dave

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #21,624 of 22,535
If I use SMSL PO100 Pro instead of this small product (see pic) Will it improve sound quality of my audio setup?I want to use optical on my Hugo 2 with this product by connecting this product with my Hugo 2 (using optical cable) and my MacBook Pro (using type C to type C cable)

What’s WRONG with your chain? Like what are you hearing that you wish was different?

Dec 19, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #21,626 of 22,535
I haven’t used those products yet so I can’t comment on that.I was just wondering if I made a mistake or not by ordering that tiny product instead of the SMSL PO100 Pro.

… if you haven’t identified what you want to sound different about your chain and you’re just impulsively blind-buying cheap pieces of equipment with hopes that it will deliver better sound quality then yes, I’m afraid, you’ve made a mistake.

I sincerely hope it makes a difference for you. It will solve a ground-loop issue if that’s what you’re encountering.

If not; next time, take your time, identify the problem and ask the right questions.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #21,629 of 22,535
Anyone ever have trouble getting their MacBook to recognize Hugo 2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back