Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Dec 18, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #21,601 of 22,546
There's still a bypassable volume switch on the front via RCA "line level" (not line out you heathens !) so you can use it with another amp if you want.
The RCA output varies in voltage with the volume control, it's not a fixed level line out. Blue volume setting gets you to around 2v which seems fine for input to a preamp or integrated. I don't know if it could go high enough to drive a power amp directly. I believe that internally, the headphone and RCA jacks are all wired together.

I felt RCA out sounded fractionally better into an amp than headphone out, but then I only had a cheap and nasty 3.5-3.5mm cable to join the H2 to the amplifiers auxiliary in, vs some very high quality RCA-RCA cables for the input of the Amp. The difference was most likely down to the cables.

Dec 18, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #21,602 of 22,546
The RCA output varies in voltage with the volume control, it's not a fixed level line out. Blue volume . . . . I don't know if it could go high enough to drive a power amp directly.
It does drive poweramps .
No problems .
That's the beauty of DACs with volume control.

Dec 18, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #21,603 of 22,546
I think sometimes there are issues with USB-related noise on the Hugo 2 however, once this is taken care of, the noise floor on the two should be quite similar. It shouldn’t be an issue for headphones with around 90dbmw (or lower sensitivity) and a lower impedance ratings. ASR rated the SNR at 83db at 50mv I believe. Which is… inaudible with most headphones. Hugo 2 is more powerful, has more ability to deliver current, and a better DAC than the Mojo 2.

Mine comes tomorrow! Look forward to giving it a try with my LCD-5 :)
That combo must sound amazing. I’m sure you’ll love it! And now… I wonder, i use my mojo with poly and currently using my hugo 2 connected to my laptop. Testing time!

Dec 18, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #21,604 of 22,546
Last night I was listening to lcd-xc 2021 version, with Hugo2 , USB connected to my phone.
Absolutely fantastic.
Only issue? my ears sweat a bit because of the air tight seal on the XC!
For experimentation , I removed the backs from the XC - turning them into open back - the sounded fine, OK frequency response got affected, but not by much.

Dec 18, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #21,605 of 22,546
I think sometimes there are issues with USB-related noise on the Hugo 2 however, once this is taken care of, the noise floor on the two should be quite similar. It shouldn’t be an issue for headphones with around 90dbmw (or lower sensitivity) and a lower impedance ratings. ASR rated the SNR at 83db at 50mv I believe. Which is… inaudible with most headphones. Hugo 2 is more powerful, has more ability to deliver current, and a better DAC than the Mojo 2.

Just did some AB tests. And, It's my laptop. Welp... Seems that I'll have to get a 2Go now.

1671408256669.png

Dec 18, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #21,606 of 22,546
We are all friends here.
There is no volume Switch! it is a Pre defined volume level, for the sake of convenience .
Volume control is digital, so any settings, happens well before the output stage.
Traditional chip based DACs , do have an analogue out, which is then amplified for headphone use, or not amplified for line out. This arrangement means that line output Could ! be more transparent than headphone out (through the headphone amp).
This is not the case here!
lol. No volume Switch. No line out. No amp. No reading comprehension.

Thanks for the "friendly" discussion. I'm enlightened.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #21,607 of 22,546
Just did some AB tests. And, It's my laptop. Welp... Seems that I'll have to get a 2Go now.

1671408256669.png
Haha at least there is a solution! What’s going on? Ground loop issue?

Dec 18, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #21,608 of 22,546
Haha at least there is a solution! What’s going on? Ground loop issue?
Yeap. I was fiddling around and I noticed how when I touched the laptop there was this very subtle white noise that diminished as I removed my hand away from the chassis.

I did some moves in the plugs and it's gone! Also, instead of using power from the outlets, I added a power bank to feed the Hugo 2. Monkey patched my way through but now it's way better.

Dec 19, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #21,609 of 22,546
Can anyone tell me which audio setup among these two offers better sound quality?Also,if you guys know any other audio setup that sounds better than these two audio setups with the Hugo 2 then let me know. First Audio setup → Latest MacBook Air/Pro (using Audirvana 3.5.xx software) + Hugo 2 (using USB) + IER-Z1R Second audio setup → Expensive DAP + Hugo 2 + IER-Z1R

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #21,610 of 22,546
Can anyone tell me which audio setup among these two offers better sound quality? First Audio setup → Latest MacBook Air/Pro (using Audirvana 3.5.xx software) + Hugo 2 (using USB) + IER-Z1R Second audio setup → Expensive DAP + Hugo 2 + IER-Z1R
There should be no difference… MacBook is more versatile. If you get a ground loop with your USB then you can get an isolator for much less than a fancy DAP.

Dec 19, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #21,612 of 22,546
So,how can I improve sound quality of my current audio setup? (Hugo 2 + MacBook Air + IER-Z1R (using JVC Spiral dot++ tips + DDhifi TC09S type C to type c cable)
How do you connect the DDhifi cable to your Hugo2? Via an adapter micro to C?

Dec 19, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #21,614 of 22,546

Users who are viewing this thread

Back