Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
May 28, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #21,017 of 22,475
I suspect the 2Go is a dead end, especially given how many people (me included) sent them back for refunds, when they just did not preform as advertised. Wifi connectivity was awful.
Wilson
Can't say I've ever had any sort of problem, connectivity or otherwise, from the one I'm using. Streams Qobuz flawlessly, plays files from the SD card or my phone at any resolution, no issues. I do wonder two things:

Did Chord do firmware updates that fixed previous problems?

Did some users who had problems not understand the way their controlling phone's power management systems affect background operation of the software?

May 28, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #21,018 of 22,475
Can't say I've ever had any sort of problem, connectivity or otherwise, from the one I'm using. Streams Qobuz flawlessly, plays files from the SD card or my phone at any resolution, no issues. I do wonder two things:

Did Chord do firmware updates that fixed previous problems?

Did some users who had problems not understand the way their controlling phone's power management systems affect background operation of the software?
How are you streaming Qobuz to the 2go?

May 28, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #21,019 of 22,475
How are you streaming Qobuz to the 2go?
Using mconnect lite (on an Android phone). It's simple, uncluttered and stable. Just put your Qobuz login details into mconnect at setup and it's done. Same facility for Tidal, but I haven't used it.

Last edited:
May 28, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #21,020 of 22,475
I suspect the 2Go may work better on Android than iOS. I waited and waited for FW updates and when it arrived it fixed nothing. I could not get the 2Go to connect to any Apple WiFi network and Qobuz streaming never worked when I still had the 2Go, neither did BBC streaming unless you connected with an Ethernet cable, a bit pointless for a portable device.

Wilson

May 28, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #21,022 of 22,475
I suspect the 2Go may work better on Android than iOS. I waited and waited for FW updates and when it arrived it fixed nothing. I could not get the 2Go to connect to any Apple WiFi network and Qobuz streaming never worked when I still had the 2Go, neither did BBC streaming unless you connected with an Ethernet cable, a bit pointless for a portable device.

Wilson
I suspect the "problem" is the Apple equipment. They do seem to make communicating with anything not make by then a pain in the ring. I'm using virgin media hub 3 / OnePlus 9 Pro and everything plays nicely.

May 28, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #21,023 of 22,475
Any chance to see a Hugo 3 before the end of the year ?
RW said recently (don't remember which thread) that he's not yet working on the H3. So, no.

May 28, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #21,026 of 22,475
Is it safe to connect the RCA output of a Hugo 2 to the 4.4mm input of a Cayin C9?

May 29, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #21,027 of 22,475
Is it safe to connect the RCA output of a Hugo 2 to the 4.4mm input of a Cayin C9?
There are quite a few other questions that should be asked before asking 'is it safe'.

Hugo 2 is single ended. The Cayin 4.4mm input is balanced. If you don't know what 'balanced' means in this context, I suggest you look it up. If you do know then the question to ask is 'why do you want to put a single ended signal into a balanced input?'. One answer might be 'only a balanced input is available' but that isn't the case with C9. It has a single ended input.

If you feed a single ended signal to the single ended input, the C9 will convert it to balanced and you will get the full benefit of the balanced amplification in the C9 with the full potential output power.

If you feed a single ended signal to the balanced input, you are only going to feed one half of the amplification. The other half, the inverted half, will be fed 0V. Thus you are only going to get half the potential output voltage and thus one quarter of the potential output power.

TLDR: even if you can find a cable or adaptor to do this (I doubt it), don't waste your time. Use the 3.5mm input.

May 29, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #21,028 of 22,475
1653839427083.png

Last edited:
May 29, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #21,029 of 22,475
There are quite a few other questions that should be asked before asking 'is it safe'.

Hugo 2 is single ended. The Cayin 4.4mm input is balanced. If you don't know what 'balanced' means in this context, I suggest you look it up. If you do know then the question to ask is 'why do you want to put a single ended signal into a balanced input?'. One answer might be 'only a balanced input is available' but that isn't the case with C9. It has a single ended input.

If you feed a single ended signal to the single ended input, the C9 will convert it to balanced and you will get the full benefit of the balanced amplification in the C9 with the full potential output power.

If you feed a single ended signal to the balanced input, you are only going to feed one half of the amplification. The other half, the inverted half, will be fed 0V. Thus you are only going to get half the potential output voltage and thus one quarter of the potential output power.

TLDR: even if you can find a cable or adaptor to do this (I doubt it), don't waste your time. Use the 3.5mm input.

I appreciate you asking a few other questions before answering mine. So nothing will be shorted?

May 29, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #21,030 of 22,475
I appreciate you asking a few other questions before answering mine. So nothing will be shorted?
That depends on the custom cable you have made. Maybe it shorts, maybe not. I recommend that you reread @technobear's TLDR. If the cable is made correctly, you won't gain anything over just using an SE cable and let the C9 internal's handle the conversion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back