Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 22, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #2,071 of 22,500
I drive 4 inch diy single driver 8ohm speakers directly from hugo . the combo achieved more than sufficient output, so I don't think hugo is not able to drive full sized headphones.

It's better not to feed the trolls.

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #2,072 of 22,500
devialet amps are digital amps . these convert the analog output to digital and then again to analog . I wanted to drive a power amp directly with hugo and luckily the dealer was having both devialet and benchmark ahb2 . his suggestion was that benchmark is better than devialet . if someone only listens at moderate level , there is the provision of variable gain in benchmark ahb2. no wonder this benchmark ahb2 amp was stereophile 2016 finalist and beaten by j2 first watt amp which is more expensive and thd specs inferior to benchmark. Benchmark amp can also be used as bridged mono to give 200w RMS. Till chord releases its own amp , this benchmark amp seems to best match the specs of chord dacs.

I've always kept an eye on the benchmark combo since the day it was released. Specs on it are amazing

Mar 22, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #2,074 of 22,500
it's not class d amp. it uses proprietary forward feedback technology to achieve exceptionally low thd and class A like performance while being class AB . it also uses proprietary smps power to attain compact size. I once mailed to John siau of benchmark as I thought the amp must be using different resistance pads internally to achieve variable gain but he replied promptly that the variable gain settings are actually the electronics engaged at each setting instead of just resistance pads. i don't have Dave to go with it but even with hugo it is so good

Mar 22, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #2,075 of 22,500
it's not class d amp. it uses proprietary forward feedback technology to achieve exceptionally low thd and class A like performance while being class AB . it also uses proprietary smps power to attain compact size. I once mailed to John siau of benchmark as I thought the amp must be using different resistance pads internally to achieve variable gain but he replied promptly that the variable gain settings are actually the electronics engaged at each setting instead of just resistance pads. i don't have Dave to go with it but even with hugo it is so good

thanks for the info on this amp...

my bud is trying to get me back into 2.1 again
(in his op nothing matches sound imaging/staging as real speakers...vs cans/iems...he once  had a $70k rig...shindo amps/preamps etc)
...so i do like the hugo2 for portable use...and could hook it into this amp for home use.......i'll add this amp to my list of considerations.
cheers

Mar 22, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #2,076 of 22,500
But it's also a class D amp I believe where as the first watt is A

Correct First Watt J2 is a single ended class A amp with very moderate power (12.5W @ 4 Ohm and 25W at 8 Ohm) and JFet power transistors. I own it and use it with some very high sensitivity loudspeakers (Burmester B022) and it sounds exceptionally well. Hence ahb2 and J2 do not play in the same league (both quo power and quo typology). Btw: I have been using Hugo (1) as input for both J2 and Pass Labs XA30.8 and it works really well and these combos play to each others strengths.

Mar 22, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #2,077 of 22,500
devialet amps are digital amps . these convert the analog output to digital and then again to analog . I wanted to drive a power amp directly with hugo and luckily the dealer was having both devialet and benchmark ahb2 . his suggestion was that benchmark is better than devialet . if someone only listens at moderate level , there is the provision of variable gain in benchmark ahb2. no wonder this benchmark ahb2 amp was stereophile 2016 finalist and beaten by j2 first watt amp which is more expensive and thd specs inferior to benchmark. Benchmark amp can also be used as bridged mono to give 200w RMS. Till chord releases its own amp , this benchmark amp seems to best match the specs of chord dacs.

The Benchmark AHB2 was the amp I was thinking of when I stated that "some have tried" or something to that affect. Eh, I should have been a bit kinder to the Benchmark, and no, I haven't heard one. 0.00013% THD+N is very, very low. In theory, though, it needs another zero or two behind the decimal to live up to Chord's DAC outputs. But that's only in theory, because at that low behind the decimal is it actually audible? Is it even audible if the THD+N profile was 0.0013, instead?

The current Chord THD+N distortion profile is 0.016%, which is also means, in theory (or rather, on paper), that the Benchmark would kick the hell out of anything Chord has at the moment, or any other commercial amp on the planet. But how about coloration from the Benchmark? I'm asking you because I don't have the experience. *shrug*

Another thing to think about: the race to lowest distortion does not always mean a good product. This is obvious, though. There are plenty of DIY amps out there with lower THD+N profiles than even the Benchmark, all for about $200 in parts.

I guess the only way to know is for me to bring over my DAVE and we can have a listen. ha!

Mar 22, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #2,078 of 22,500
@EVOLVIST, I think stereophile has measured the amp and verified the claims of benchmark. ' color ' is the last thing I would say about this amp. this amp is like a transparent window . In theory one may not require that much low distortion figures but having extra headroom always helps in complex music passages.

Mar 22, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #2,079 of 22,500
I agree and this is almost certainly the case to my mind.

I think this talk of driving passive speakers direct off a low powered headphone amp/DAC is just a distraction.

But hey, it is a hobby so people can do what ever they want if it amuses them. Just don't expect me to join in.

Well, hmmm... Since there's no substitute for experiential knowledge I suppose I'll have to take your word that the added distortion from your DAVE + Tube amps has an optimal sound, just like you would have to do the same for those going "ampless" with Chord DACs, yes? :) I'm not be sarcastic here; I'm just saying, all things considered.

I wouldn't really call 85db speakers all that efficient, compared to 95db speakers, but that's just me. I think the point has always been to drive passive speakers in the 93-98db range straight from the DAC, but I could be mistaken.

Over in the DAVE thread Rob has promised to measure the output wattage of the DAVE going into 8ohms as soon as he gets back from Asia. He doesn't have those figures, so it will be curious to see what he comes up with.

Mar 22, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #2,080 of 22,500
  The current Chord THD+N distortion profile is 0.016%, which is also means, in theory (or rather, on paper), that the Benchmark would kick the hell out of anything Chord has at the moment, or any other commercial amp on the planet.

Careful, Nick! That's the distortion figure for the TToby at 100 watts/4 Ω, thus maximum recommended power. At normal listening levels harmonic distortion will be way lower.

Mar 22, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #2,081 of 22,500
Just use the RCA out and connect to loudspeakers.
For example, there is an image of such a cable, middle of the page found here:
http://www.dnm.co.uk/cables.html

I had some custom made mogami cables made for me that have RCA on one end and dual banana terminations on the other end for direct connection to speakers.

Mar 22, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #2,082 of 22,500
Careful, Nick! That's the distortion figure for the TToby at 100 watts/4 Ω, thus maximum recommended power. At normal listening levels harmonic distortion will be way lower.

This is true, but if I'm not mistaken that's not only for the TToby but for their big boy amps, too.

I wish Chord would standardize their specs on their site. Often you have to read between the lines, or ask about specs that aren't listed. A minor quibble, though.

Mar 22, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #2,084 of 22,500
I had had Dynaudio speakers with 86db efficiency.
For me it is horribly compressed, dead, lifeless sound.
I listened number of Dynaudio an Morel speakers. the sound was the same.
I never be back to dynamic speakers with such low sensitivity.
For me, high sensitivity always sound better in term of musicality.
In my opinion, the worst things happened in modern audio are fashion for low sensitivity speakers and belt drive turntables (which ruin PRAT in music).

Mar 22, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #2,085 of 22,500
  I had had Dynaudio speakers with 86db efficiency.
For me it is horribly compressed, dead, lifeless sound.
I listened number of Dynaudio an Morel speakers. the sound was the same.
I never be back to dynamic speakers with such low sensitivity.
For me, high sensitivity always sound better in term of musicality.
In my opinion, the worst things happened in modern audio are fashion for low sensitivity speakers and belt drive turntables (which ruin PRAT in music).op

If you were not that far away, I'd invite you to listen to my modded ATC SCM20sl. I replaced all Xover with Duelund and Mundorf parts, and added a Mundorf AMT. 
Very transparent sound, emotional, precise, with slam.
And my Alphason Sonata with Atlas from the early nineties has PRAT too.
Well, I guess our tastes are just opposite:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back