Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Oct 3, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #20,356 of 22,516
I just purchased Hugo 2. Is it possible to stream Amazon HD and Spotify from my Hiby R8 through the Hugo 2 micro usb input as I have been unable to get this to work. Is there no other option but to get the Chord 2go for this? The Bluetooth works fine but doesn't stream at the higher resolution.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong place.
I am using the Mojo and Hugo 2 with Hiby R3 sometimes. Either with the Shanling UCB-C to micro USB cable or the Hiby USB-C to 3,5mm Coax cable. Both work without any issues. I prefer the Coax because it‘s mechanically more robust and I also think it sounds a bit smoother.

Oct 3, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #20,357 of 22,516
Hi @Rob Watts

Regarding this point #4 quoted.

What's the reason you haven't gone for greater stop band attenuation, say 180dB attenuation to below the noise floor of Hugo2?

Obviously you could if you wanted to, but chose not to. Just curious why it wasn't needed?

Which measurement plot for Hugo2 would be best to show out of band images if they existed (which I know you said they don't)?
The WTA filter is something that took many years to develop, with thousands of listening tests to fine tune the result. It's in essence a compromise - if you design the filter for great attenuation of out of band images, then your transient reconstruction performance suffers (because the filter is less like an ideal sinc function) and so it sounds bad; on the other hand, if you maximise transient reconstruction (from the sinc POV) and make it more like an ideal sinc function then you sacrifice attenuation of out of band images again giving you poor sound quality. So the listening tests were all about finding the sweet spot with these competing problems - and we can only find the sweet spot by very carefully conducted listening tests.

Incidentally, out of band images being audible is because it too damages the timing of transients. We actually have two sources of transient timing errors - one from not using ideal sinc, and one from not attenuating the out of band images. The whole issue of transient timing reconstruction is actually extremely complex.

You won't see any out of band images from measuring a Hugo 2 using the white noise test, as analogue noise will swamp the output from the white noise images.

Oct 3, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #20,360 of 22,516
I am using the Mojo and Hugo 2 with Hiby R3 sometimes. Either with the Shanling UCB-C to micro USB cable or the Hiby USB-C to 3,5mm Coax cable. Both work without any issues. I prefer the Coax because it‘s mechanically more robust and I also think it sounds a bit smoother.
Just to clarify, you are using these cable setups to stream a music service such as Amazon hd? My micro USB to usb-c cable works fine for playing my music files through the Hugo 2 but when I try to stream Amazon HD or Spotify, there is no sound.

Oct 3, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #20,361 of 22,516
Just to clarify, you are using these cable setups to stream a music service such as Amazon hd? My micro USB to usb-c cable works fine for playing my music files through the Hugo 2 but when I try to stream Amazon HD or Spotify, there is no sound.
You were right the first time. This is the wrong place to ask. It is not a problem with Hugo 2. The problem lies with whatever apps you are using to stream Amazon HD and Spotify.

There is a thread for Hiby R8. You might find someone who uses those apps there:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hiby-r8-user-impressions.917733/

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #20,362 of 22,516
Oct 3, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #20,363 of 22,516
I have used my Hiby R8 to stream both Spotify and Amazon HD for 6 months and the apps both work fine. I connect the Hugo 2 to my R8 and I'm able to play my DSD files with no problem. Then when I try to stream either Spotify or Amazon HD through the Hugo 2 there is absolutely no sound. That would tell me it's very possible that it's the Hugo 2 or a combination of both. So why do you say it's definitively not the Hugo 2. You obviously don't know the answer, so someone else may be able to assist me.

Oct 3, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #20,364 of 22,516
I have used my Hiby R8 to stream both Spotify and Amazon HD for 6 months and the apps both work fine. I connect the Hugo 2 to my R8 and I'm able to play my DSD files with no problem. Then when I try to stream either Spotify or Amazon HD through the Hugo 2 there is absolutely no sound. That would tell me it's very possible that it's the Hugo 2 or a combination of both. So why do you say it's definitively not the Hugo 2. You obviously don't know the answer, so someone else may be able to assist me.

Oct 4, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #20,366 of 22,516
Anyone stepped up to Hugo TT2..very noticeable technical ability difference ?
3x the taps or something....

Oct 4, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #20,367 of 22,516
Anyone stepped up to Hugo TT2..very noticeable technical ability difference ?
3x the taps or something....
I did. It have entirelly different presentation. Very deep, centric vocals, warm signature but very very detailed. You just step out of kinda flat soundstage hugo2/qutest into realistic 3d tage where vocals are centric and all stage is around voice.

Oct 5, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #20,368 of 22,516
Hope the TT2 tech trickles down to Hugo3,..I see the taps are double after pulling up the specs... this H2 device is truly fantastic for its size....shot in the arm for all my cans...wish list for H3 would be - double battery life, a 'better' form factor, low level lighting a bit brighter, LDAC at least for its wireless internal protocol....that LDAC incorporation does not step on toes of wireless ability of 2go - as it can still do pure lossless.

Oct 5, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #20,369 of 22,516
Hope the TT2 tech trickles down to Hugo3,..I see the taps are double after pulling up the specs... this H2 device is truly fantastic for its size....shot in the arm for all my cans...wish list for H3 would be - double battery life, a 'better' form factor, low level lighting a bit brighter, LDAC at least for its wireless internal protocol....that LDAC incorporation does not step on toes of wireless ability of 2go - as it can still do pure lossless.
Never mind double battery life... Hugo 3 needs a battery compartment containing user replaceable lithium ion batteries that are readily available now. Then the battery life issue goes away once and for all.

Oct 5, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #20,370 of 22,516
Never mind double battery life... Hugo 3 needs a battery compartment containing user replaceable lithium ion batteries that are readily available now. Then the battery life issue goes away once and for all.
But there are lots of powerbanks at usb 'round over the world.. Why do we need any replacable 16850's???
The only feature we need is the external power mode with turning the charging off to play on the go without simultaneously charging internal 16850 elements

Users who are viewing this thread

Back