Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 21, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #2,011 of 22,540
  If people want to flush their money down the toilet by inserting this box and that box between their computer and the Hugo, so be it. I would recommend going through a powered USB hub, to isolate from the power component of the USB signal, but I expect anything else is huge overkill. (Powered USB hubs are cheap.)

To the people who are agonizing about bypassing the batteries, battery drive is much better/cleaner than what you are getting directly out of the wall. Just be happy about that.

Hi mate, certainly nobody should be agonizing about anything!

Regarding adding a component, Rob has recommended galvanic isolation for the Mojo and Hugo for the USB input. There's a reason good he adds this to his non portable Dacs. There's a lot more to it than just re-clocking as someone else mentioned.

Definitely agree that the single cheapest improvement you can make to a noisy PC USB output is a powered USB hub. But galvanic isolation is very effective, as Rob has previously mentioned.

It doesn't need to be expensive either - the Olimex USB Isolator which Rob has recommended costs as much as a decent powered USB hub. Unfortunately if you have 24/96 and higher music, high speed USB isolation is needed and unfortunately that's where it gets expensive.

Hear's to Olimex coming out with an affordable high speed version USB Isolator ! I have no doubt they're working on it or at least considered it. The design of their full speed version has had a few highly regarded Dac designers (like Rob) give it the thumbs up, so Olimex clearly know what they're doing.

For others, here are links to the Uptone and iFi offerings coming soon, where the Intona is discussed briefly also:

Uptone ISO REGEN: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/31013-iso-regen/

iFi iGalvanic3.0: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/31125-ifi-audio-igalvanic30-the-holy-grail-of-computer-audio/

Regarding the other Intona comment, I certainly agree this has been the gold standard for over 12 months. I was so close to getting the JCAT USB Isolator (Intona Industrial in a shielded metal box) but luckily I held out. Current Intona owners can continue to be happy for a long time with an incredible product. My advice to wait was only for people considering buying a new isolation device, just to wait for me information and comparisons as they get released.

Mar 21, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #2,012 of 22,540
Would there be any benefit to using any of those isolators with a phone as the source? Or is an iPhone in airplane mode clean enough it wouldn't make a noticeable difference? Curious if anyone has tried it.

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #2,013 of 22,540
phone is battery powered so in that case set up is isolated and no need for any device. just don't charge while using it.

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #2,014 of 22,540
Would there be any benefit to using any of those isolators with a phone as the source? Or is an iPhone in airplane mode clean enough it wouldn't make a noticeable difference? Curious if anyone has tried it.

I use intona and regen with both my Ipad air and LG V20 to Mojo. The difference isn't as huge as running from desktop and the laptop but I can definitely hear a very audible improvement in headphones but less so with IEMs strangely enough.

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #2,015 of 22,540
I honestly can't wait to test this equipment ( and eventually the Iso-Regen when it comes out) with my Hugo 2. I think that it will be less of an issue thanks to Rob's improved RF filtering. But then again, even the mighty source resistant Dave gets some audible beneifts from a better source.

Just to clarify, Mojo connected to the phone or Ipad still sounds great! But in comparison to Intona and Regen added to chain, I sense a small amount of grain in the vocals and the soundstage comes across as a bit fuzzy with less noticeable depth.

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #2,016 of 22,540
If anyone is interested, I have an Intona industrial and Regen available on Head-Fi for sale.  Used with my Hugo for long time.  But I've moved on to 2Qute, with it's fantastic galvanic isolation, so up for sale they go.  Can make a nice package deal for someone here if they like, private message me if interested.

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #2,017 of 22,540
  If anyone is interested, I have an Intona industrial and Regen available on Head-Fi for sale.  Used with my Hugo for long time.  But I've moved on to 2Qute, with it's fantastic galvanic isolation, so up for sale they go.  Can make a nice package deal for someone here if they like, private message me if interested.

This is an incredible combination (and VERY popular for very good reasons) . Somebody go grab this bargain !

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #2,018 of 22,540
  phone is battery powered so in that case set up is isolated and no need for any device. just don't charge while using it.

Isolation from the mains power helps (groundloops and leakage current loops). But isolation from the noisy PC USB audio output is really what we're talking about, and why Rob includes it on the USB input of his non-portable Dacs. So ideally you want it between the USB audio output port and the Dac. My Surface Pro 4 can run off batteries but it doesn't make the USB audio output any cleaner, it's still a noisy source.

But for sure switching to airplane mode and running off battery must reduce the internal noise but galvanic isolation isolates or blocks this noise and leakage currents, rather than just reducing the noise.

Mar 21, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #2,024 of 22,540
Sorry if that it has already been answered but what is the battery life for these with 3-4 hrs of daily use. My understanding is the battery is non user replaceable and hence may need to be sent to dealer. I don't want $2K device to be sent back after 2-3 years of use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back