Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 8, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #19,846 of 22,475
I am using the stock USB cable to input from my laptop.

But I could still hear the hiss with the Hugo2 powered on only, no inputs, no power cord inserted...
Seems like the hissing has nothing to do with the source, but I'd still recommend testing some different sources.

I did comparisons and my Windows laptop in a docking station with external monitors and power supply was by far the worst.
The Mojo fed by a DAP sounded clearly better than the Hugo 2 with that windows laptop.
A battery powered Macbook Pro was much better, best over Toslink but only slightly worse via USB.

Mar 9, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #19,847 of 22,475
I’m just about to pull the trigger on a Hugo2 and 2Go. This will only ever be used to stream direct from Tidal to the device from my iPhone 11ProMax to a pair of focal Utopias.
Before I hit the button, is there anything I need to be aware of or recommendation?
I’m only 5 minutes from Chord in Maidstone so I suppose if there are any long term issues with this I have a quick drop off but what is the standard warranty on these also?

Mar 9, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #19,848 of 22,475
I’m just about to pull the trigger on a Hugo2 and 2Go. This will only ever be used to stream direct from Tidal to the device from my iPhone 11ProMax to a pair of focal Utopias.
Before I hit the button, is there anything I need to be aware of or recommendation?
I’m only 5 minutes from Chord in Maidstone so I suppose if there are any long term issues with this I have a quick drop off but what is the standard warranty on these also?

I am not sure what you need the 2Go for. Can't the data go straight from your phone to the Hugo2?

Mar 9, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #19,849 of 22,475
I am not sure what you need the 2Go for. Can't the data go straight from your phone to the Hugo2?
Would this not lose quality from a Master stream etc, or am I incorrect. Am I buying a 2Go with the wrong understanding of it?
I just want to stream direct from phone and ensure it’s not lossless on the files Tidal is playing...
It’s a valid point also as I suppose the headphone is connected to the Hugo2 so why not the phone also.
I’m unsure on good cables to connect from iPhone (with camera connector kit installed) to the Hugo2 as it looks like micro usb which isn’t a great connection.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #19,850 of 22,475
Would this not lose quality from a Master stream etc, or am I incorrect. Am I buying a 2Go with the wrong understanding of it?
I just want to stream direct from phone and ensure it’s not lossless on the files Tidal is playing...

I am not sure. I would not spend money on something like the 2Go without understanding exactly what it does and if and why you would need it. Maybe this can help:
https://www.moon-audio.com/chord-hugo/faq.html

Mar 9, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #19,851 of 22,475
Regarding 2go, be careful and read reviews here on head-fi. Many had issues with its Wi-Fi (as it only supports 2.4 GHz and I believe only 20-MHz channel width). This means, that under no circumstances you will be able to stream wirelessly more than 44.1/48 reliably. If you care about Tidal’s Masters (its MQA being unfloded) you will be basically limited to CD quality. Now, some people with reliable Wi-Fi setups were able to get 2x performance (up to 96), but no one has reported successful and reliable 192. This of course, does not affect 2go’s ethernet connection (where you plug in RJ45 from your router/switch and have it wired). It will appear on your local network (if your setup is correct) and you can stream via Airplay to is (which limits on its own to 44.1 and 48 I believe). The only way around this limitation would be to use 2go as Roon Endpoint (it is its own protocol called RAAT) and while being connected via ethernet, you will be able to stream much higher. This is actually what I am planning to do - I have 2go coming in tomorrow so I can report if any of you are interested.

So long story short - be aware of 2go’s wifi limitations (if it had 5GHz, you wouldn’t have any of these issues) and consider if it makes sense for your Tidal use case. If you decide to buy into Roon and connect 2go with ethernet cable, then 2go can start making more sense in my personal opinion. However, read more about this, so that you get a better picture for its wifi dropouts problems, as well as clicks and cracks some people have reported on the forums. Hope this helps!

Mar 9, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #19,852 of 22,475
Regarding 2go, be careful and read reviews here on head-fi. Many had issues with its Wi-Fi (as it only supports 2.4 GHz and I believe only 20-MHz channel width). This means, that under no circumstances you will be able to stream wirelessly more than 44.1/48 reliably. If you care about Tidal’s Masters (its MQA being unfloded) you will be basically limited to CD quality. Now, some people with reliable Wi-Fi setups were able to get 2x performance (up to 96), but no one has reported successful and reliable 192. This of course, does not affect 2go’s ethernet connection (where you plug in RJ45 from your router/switch and have it wired). It will appear on your local network (if your setup is correct) and you can stream via Airplay to is (which limits on its own to 44.1 and 48 I believe). The only way around this limitation would be to use 2go as Roon Endpoint (it is its own protocol called RAAT) and while being connected via ethernet, you will be able to stream much higher. This is actually what I am planning to do - I have 2go coming in tomorrow so I can report if any of you are interested.

So long story short - be aware of 2go’s wifi limitations (if it had 5GHz, you wouldn’t have any of these issues) and consider if it makes sense for your Tidal use case. If you decide to buy into Roon and connect 2go with ethernet cable, then 2go can start making more sense in my personal opinion. However, read more about this, so that you get a better picture for its wifi dropouts problems, as well as clicks and cracks some people have reported on the forums. Hope this helps!
Thanks and very informative.
I’m running 5ghz through a ubiquity set up the same as we have in our Apple stores, so this does throw up concern, and now wonder if just a direct hardwire in from the phone is the best option, also saving some costs.
I’ve no interest in Roon etc, this is literally a portable solution from when I move away from my desktop set up.
I have the ifi xCan for when I’m out and about.
I’ll speak to a chord dealer today and get some more Info.
It’s then finding a good after market cable to connect the phone and Hugo2.

Mar 9, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #19,853 of 22,475
Hugo 2 and Utopia is a great sounding system!
Regarding the 2Go there are people who have had bad experiences and some of them are very passionately bashing the 2Go.
Others seem to have been very happy with the 2Go. I am on the fence myself, as the 2Go is said to further improve SQ.

I have been using the Hugo 2 with the Meenova Lightning - micro USB cable http://www.meenova.com/st/p/lgtnmuc.html
SQ is very good, not as good as Toslink from a MBP, but quite close. I have had reliability issues though with the longer version, the short cable works well.
(I bought 2 short and 2 long cables over time)
Mechanically the micro-USB is really not a great option though, so I would not use this setup when actually moving around.

Mar 9, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #19,854 of 22,475
You are the main reason all my fun coupons are possibly going out the window soon!
Sometime tell me why “I shouldn’t” invest in the Hugo2 and 2Go for my Utopias when not using the Arche, as my fingers keep going to do a buy 😂
I do only want to stream tidal from my iPhone to it also, so simplicity.

Actually on the other hand as a SP2000/H2/Utopia owner I’m wondering what the Arche might add to my set up for amplification duties or as a desktop replacement for my H2.

Mar 9, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #19,855 of 22,475
Actually on the other hand as a SP2000/H2/Utopia owner I’m wondering what the Arche might add to my set up for amplification duties or as a desktop replacement for my H2.
Well all I can say is I was a little disappointed with the Utopia on my Burson Conductor 3XR and swopped it out for the Arche.
It’s blown me away, literally it’s just made the headphone come alive, so much I get butterfly’s when I wake up to wear them again!

Mar 9, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #19,856 of 22,475
Well all I can say is I was a little disappointed with the Utopia on my Burson Conductor 3XR and swopped it out for the Arche.
It’s blown me away, literally it’s just made the headphone come alive, so much I get butterfly’s when I wake up to wear them again!

I love how detailed yet large scale the sound of the Utopia is with the H2 but sometimes feel a bit more warmth wouldn’t go astray. Adding the GSX mini did that but I would like to audition the Arche and WA33 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back