Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Apr 29, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #18,376 of 22,516
Just to chime in, I do hear low-level hiss with my sensitive SE846. It's definitely at an acceptable level and easily dies out with audio. No hiss with my 16 ohm IE 800 S.

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #18,377 of 22,516
Just to chime in, I do hear low-level hiss with my sensitive SE846. It's definitely at an acceptable level and easily dies out with audio. No hiss with my 16 ohm IE 800 S.
I can attest to the same hiss when used with the SE 846, no hissing when using the Apple dongle on iphone. Always wondered about the hiss for 3 years...

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #18,378 of 22,516
UPDATE : The Hugo 2 is still overheating and shutting down even in desktop mode. I can't figure out a pattern. It seems like it overheats at random times. Any suggestions?
Seems odd if you are in desktop mode.
The ability of a dac to transfer heat, will always be proportional to the local ambient room temperature, so the first question is what is the ambient temperature?

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #18,379 of 22,516
UPDATE : The Hugo 2 is still overheating and shutting down even in desktop mode. I can't figure out a pattern. It seems like it overheats at random times. Any suggestions?

Are you using the stock charger? What you describe could potentially happen if you're using a charger that charges more slowly. The reason is that it is then not charging fast enough to keep up with the drain.

Apr 29, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #18,380 of 22,516
I can attest to the same hiss when used with the SE 846, no hissing when using the Apple dongle on iphone. Always wondered about the hiss for 3 years...

I've only had my Hugo2 for a little over a month. When I use my Zeus XR, there is a *very* noticeable hiss. I can easily hear it on soft passages, much to my annoyance. I've resorted to using an iFi Match. Is there a better option to the Match out there??

Apr 30, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #18,381 of 22,516
If it is under warranty send it in ASAP. Mine did this for over 6 months until it finally failed completely. Didn't even work plugged in. I had mine on 24/7 in desktop mode for months, but no idea if that had anything to do with it. I see now the recommendation is to turn it off if using for under 8 hours per day.

Apr 30, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #18,382 of 22,516
@jonnyt

Yeah I am lost at your problem. My IEMs might not be specced the same as yours so maybe mine do not cause issue. I have the AKG N40 and N5005. Neither set causes hiss or any noise with Hugo 2.

I do vaguely recall the slight possibility I read some ultra-sensitive IEMs might have got some hiss with Mojo. Obviously don't quote me on that.

However you should get some help with it from someone. Or Rob Watts might post the definitive answer, (probably again). In the mean time, do a search in this thread and the Mojo thread for your problem.
Cheers, I guess I don't know how 'sensitive' my two Campfire IEMs are relatively speaking. I don't get hiss from any other source.
Either way I've reached out to Chord and they've said they'll get back to me. Or if the world starts up again I could go back to the shop I bought it at to test an alternative unit.

Apr 30, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #18,383 of 22,516
If it is under warranty send it in ASAP. Mine did this for over 6 months until it finally failed completely. Didn't even work plugged in. I had mine on 24/7 in desktop mode for months, but no idea if that had anything to do with it. I see now the recommendation is to turn it off if using for under 8 hours per day.

So wait, the recommendation is to avoid using the Hugo 2 for more than 8 hours continuously?

Apr 30, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #18,384 of 22,516
1588269058130.png

It finally arrived, my first Chord DAC :) :)

It is in every aspect better then the Burson C3XR - both the AMP and the DAC section!!

I am actually amazed, thank you Rob Watts for that much in such a small box!

Conclusion: I sell the Burson and I am going to add the MScaler to the quotation and I am really happy with the Hugo 2 with my Verite Open.

Now my table looks like this:

1588269831462.png

Apr 30, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #18,386 of 22,516
So wait, the recommendation is to avoid using the Hugo 2 for more than 8 hours continuously?
No, that if you're not using it at least that much, you can leave it plugged in but turned off when not using. You can absolutely use it 24 hours straight like other DAC/amps.

May 1, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #18,388 of 22,516
Anyone please recommend high quality replacement charger for H2 from amazon?

thanks

I'm a big fan of Anger chargers. In fact, I've never even used the charger that came with the Hugo2. There are many to choose from. This is one of the ones I've purchase 2 years ago and still running strong!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back