Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 29, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #17,971 of 22,546
I've been using it with MrSpeakers Ether C Flow, that are one of the toughest closed-back oems to power. And H2 easily handles it. Now I'm using this combo with a tube amp Wa8, but only for the tube warmness n stuff.
Nice...

Jan 29, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #17,972 of 22,546
Hugo 2 has enough power for pretty much anything and adding a separate amp only serves to reduce transparency, moving you further away from the source and potentially introducing distortion. Some enjoy that, but Rob Watts, the designer, recommends against it.

Hope this helps
Totally does, thank you.

Jan 29, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #17,973 of 22,546
I've been using it with MrSpeakers Ether C Flow, that are one of the toughest closed-back oems to power. And H2 easily handles it. Now I'm using this combo with a tube amp Wa8, but only for the tube warmness n stuff.

I disagree about the driving power of the hugo 2. The ether c is not too hard to drive. I used to own a H2 and imo it will not properly drive the Diana Phi, lcd 4 ( the 4z yes), and no way the susvara.

I also disagree about the sp1000 being below the H2. The H2 sound different than the sp1000. They both are really detailed with the sp1000 presenting a bit more warmth but it is still on the neutral side. I found the H2 to sound a bit harsh without the mscaler. When the mscaler was added it was a much better sound signature. But at that point you may as well pick up the TT2.which leaves the sp1000 and H2 in the dust.

Also if you are looking for sound stage comparisons I recomend comparing in a speaker set up. The difference is more noticable there.

Jan 29, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #17,974 of 22,546
I disagree about the driving power of the hugo 2. The ether c is not too hard to drive. I used to own a H2 and imo it will not properly drive the Diana Phi, lcd 4 ( the 4z yes), and no way the susvara.

I also disagree about the sp1000 being below the H2. The H2 sound different than the sp1000. They both are really detailed with the sp1000 presenting a bit more warmth but it is still on the neutral side. I found the H2 to sound a bit harsh without the mscaler. When the mscaler was added it was a much better sound signature. But at that point you may as well pick up the TT2.which leaves the sp1000 and H2 in the dust.

Also if you are looking for sound stage comparisons I recomend comparing in a speaker set up. The difference is more noticable there.

"one of the toughest closed-back oems". "closed-back".

Sp1000 has way worse separation on higher frequency - that is super noticeable. Basically, you feel a mess on sp1000 after H2. For me, on any of the top-tier izo or estat oems, sounstage is also way wider and just waaaaay deeper on H2. Mid-range dynamic is also on the H2 side. The sound can still be warm while being dynamic (that's how my setup does sound), Sp1000 just has worse dynamic, compared to H2. Lower frequency is less precise and accurate on Sp1000, you hear a more strict attack on H2. Imo, Sp1000 isn't a competitor to H2. Even H1 is a lot better lol.

Jan 29, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #17,975 of 22,546
Sp100 or 200 is an oversampling system that really is like apples to chords orange. Oversampling really smooths out or adds warmth imo compared to h2. It comes down to preference. I tested it on its own, not as a source
Chord also oversamples but the WTA filter is applied at this stage. The sound of the SP1000 is different than the H2 but after many, many hours of listening to both, either will provide a wonderful gateway to your music. I have used both with Utopia and the H2 is a better driver. If you use the balanced on the SP1000 it drives as welll as the H2.

Jan 29, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #17,976 of 22,546

Jan 29, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #17,977 of 22,546
Chord also oversamples but the WTA filter is applied at this stage. The sound of the SP1000 is different than the H2 but after many, many hours of listening to both, either will provide a wonderful gateway to your music. I have used both with Utopia and the H2 is a better driver. If you use the balanced on the SP1000 it drives as welll as the H2.
sure, I’m no tech but chord doesn’t oversample......both are great vehicles, but I certainly noticed a warmer sound from sp, hugo was more revealing and if you are used to that or visa versa, makes

Jan 29, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #17,978 of 22,546
Wow, thanks for all the info, super stoked to get this thing.... :):)

Jan 29, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #17,979 of 22,546
Wow, thanks for all the info, super stoked to get this thing.... :):)
Yeah you can't go wrong with the Hugo 2, but I didn't immediately fell in love with it when I first heard it. In fact, I initially thought that the Mojo sounded better. It took some time, and getting better headphones for me to process what the Hugo 2 was doing. For me, it's a greater window in terms of detail and separation than the Astell&Kern offerings, and I've tried the Cube, SP1000, and SP2000. It ekes out details like nobody's business whilst not sounding overly analytical.

Jan 29, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #17,980 of 22,546
Yeah you can't go wrong with the Hugo 2, but I didn't immediately fell in love with it when I first heard it. In fact, I initially thought that the Mojo sounded better. It took some time, and getting better headphones for me to process what the Hugo 2 was doing. For me, it's a greater window in terms of detail and separation than the Astell&Kern offerings, and I've tried the Cube, SP1000, and SP2000. It ekes out details like nobody's business whilst not sounding overly analytical.
I think my Valkyries and Cleopatra would be a good match for this.... The Valkyries soundstage is a bit forward, I like a deeper presentation.

Jan 29, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #17,981 of 22,546

the H2 can drive the diana phi but they can strain a bit with some music....they definitely cannot drive the susvara...the lcd-4 is pretty much like the phi in that it can do it but will strain.....most others the H2 drives quite easily....

Jan 29, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #17,982 of 22,546
the H2 can drive the diana phi but they can strain a bit with some music....they definitely cannot drive the susvara...the lcd-4 is pretty much like the phi in that it can do it but will strain.....most others the H2 drives quite easily....

I'm not suggesting you are wrong but is that objectively backed up by the spec, or based on your experience?

Just curious! :)

Jan 29, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #17,983 of 22,546
If it drives the Arya I'll be a happy camper, that's my sweet spot. Either way I'm bringing the H2 to Canjam!

Jan 29, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #17,984 of 22,546
I found the H2 to sound a bit harsh without the mscaler. When the mscaler was added it was a much better sound signature. But at that point you may as well pick up the TT2.which leaves the sp1000 and H2 in the dust.
How would you compare the H2 vs. TT2 without the MScaler? I am just curious.

Jan 29, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #17,985 of 22,546
I'm not suggesting you are wrong but is that objectively backed up by the spec, or based on your experience?

Just curious! :)

personal experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back