Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 24, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #17,927 of 22,516
It depends on the headphones. Sometimes I find the Mojo to be far more engaging than the Hugo 2. Hugo 2 is always technically better than the Mojo, but that doesn't alway quite translate to getting me into the music. It depends, which is why I hate these strong comments of the Hugo 2 destroying the Mojo. It depends.

Completely agree here.

Let's also not forget that differences between two competently designed and engineered DACs (Chord or not) are typically subtle regardless of price point. I am yet to see evidence that they are as night and day as some may have you believe. There are far more significant factors in play: the headphones.

Jan 24, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #17,928 of 22,516
61nYn9wI6lL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
just need a good powerbank now.

I have been very pleased with my Luxtude Elite Hood power bank. Although it does have USB-A (fast charge up to 3.1A) and Micro USB sockets, it also has a very neat built-in short Lightning cable, which clips into the side. It is a little larger form factor than an iPod touch, about the same dimensions as a mid sized iPhone but a little thicker. I get around 2 to 3 charges for my iPhone SE's out of it. I think its stated capacity is 10K mAH. There are similarly sized power banks from other makers which claim 2 to 3 times the capacity of the Luxtude but since they all use very similar L-ion cells, I can only assume they are exaggerating. Luxtude have been around longer than many far eastern electronic makers. It seems very solidly made and even when I either charge it or use it to charge a device in hot weather at my French house in summer, it only gets mildly warm. I have no connection with them other than being a satisfied customer.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 5:07 AM Post #17,929 of 22,516

I have been very pleased with my Luxtude Elite Hood power bank. Although it does have USB-A (fast charge up to 3.1A) and Micro USB sockets, it also has a very neat built-in short Lightning cable, which clips into the side. It is a little larger form factor than an iPod touch, about the same dimensions as a mid sized iPhone but a little thicker. I get around 2 to 3 charges for my iPhone SE's out of it. I think its stated capacity is 10K mAH. There are similarly sized power banks from other makers which claim 2 to 3 times the capacity of the Luxtude but since they all use very similar L-ion cells, I can only assume they are exaggerating. Luxtude have been around longer than many far eastern electronic makers. It seems very solidly made and even when I either charge it or use it to charge a device in hot weather at my French house in summer, it only gets mildly warm. I have no connection with them other than being a satisfied customer.
Hi Wilson, is your French house in France or is it just a French house :) ?

Jan 24, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #17,930 of 22,516
Hi Wilson, is your French house in France or is it just a French house :) ?

My house is in Provence just outside a small village called Tourtour (Le Village dans le ciel - http://www.tourtour.org) It got very hot there last summer and on two days it was 42º and that is at around 2500 feet altitude. The house is 1970's style avant-garde and was built by an architect who was a pupil of Le Corbusier, as his own retirement house, right at the edge of a 1000 foot high escarpment.

Wilson

Jan 24, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #17,931 of 22,516
My house is in Provence just outside a small village called Tourtour (Le Village dans le ciel - http://www.tourtour.org) It got very hot there last summer and on two days it was 42º and that is at around 2500 feet altitude. The house is 1970's style avant-garde and was built by an architect who was a pupil of Le Corbusier, as his own retirement house, right at the edge of a 1000 foot high escarpment.

Wilson
I love lescun, yours sounds nice too.

8B4B0289-7B4D-47E2-8FE7-B3A80506F5F2.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #17,933 of 22,516
Anyone have any pics of the Hugo 2 on their desks? I’m planning my setup, but it’s kind of a weird device with it’s input locations.

From what I’ve read here (specifically, from Rob Watts) optical is the preferred connection. But since that’s located on the front (where the headphone jacks are) that means I’ve got to snake wires around my desk... aesthetics are important to me so that’s a no go.

Maybe I should just go with a usb connection and then problem solved...

Jan 26, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #17,934 of 22,516
Anyone have any pics of the Hugo 2 on their desks? I’m planning my setup, but it’s kind of a weird device with it’s input locations.

From what I’ve read here (specifically, from Rob Watts) optical is the preferred connection. But since that’s located on the front (where the headphone jacks are) that means I’ve got to snake wires around my desk... aesthetics are important to me so that’s a no go.

IMG_20191107_161542.jpg

Jan 26, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #17,936 of 22,516
Nice setup! How do you like the USB Bridge Sig? Do you happen to have a SQ comparison between it and just direct connection to a PC?

Thanks. There's actually been a lot of discussion in this thread over the past 5-10 pages about RPi based network streamers, so I won't take up to much space. It's been the one of the most significant upgrades I've made in my setup, especially given the relative cost.

Jan 26, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #17,937 of 22,516

https://i.imgur.com/xvbgbIc.jpg

I actually use optical now so the cable comes out the same side as the headphone out.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #17,938 of 22,516
To follow up on my posts earlier this week about optical and clicks/pops: I thought, before I go ahead and just go back to USB, I'd go ahead and update my motherboard's drivers which enable the optical out and no more pops/clicks on DirectSound!

I'm now trying out Roon. I've long used Qobuz via Audirvana but have found that the ability to find new music difficult. Anybody have any Roon tips?

Jan 26, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #17,939 of 22,516

So that's the right orientation for the h2!! All this time I've been doing it wrong, with the 4 buttons facing towards me. But your way makes cable management a lot easier.

I know this is a small thing to be grateful for! But it's like a small (audio) tweak/mod that improves how one listens to music.

Good natured sarcasm turned on (no troll intended): do you think this orientation improves SQ as well? LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back