Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 10, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #15,391 of 22,467
Does anybody have any experience using the AudioQuest B to Micro adaptor? https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Hi-Fi-Audio-Cables/AudioQuest-USB-B-Micro-Adaptor/B00M0H4J6C/

It looks to work pretty well from what I can find online, but curious to know if anybody has direct experience? The thing I'm concerned about is straining the port by way of the weight of the adaptor and cable attached to being held up by the micro USB port alone, but I intend to use a cable desk clip (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07C7RTDFD/) to help elevate.

I tried this adapter but stopped using it because the USB cable I had at the time was too heavy. I swapped to an Audioquest Carbon A > Micro which works better with my H2.

Feb 10, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #15,392 of 22,467
I tried this adapter but stopped using it because the USB cable I had at the time was too heavy. I swapped to an Audioquest Carbon A > Micro which works better with my H2.

I too have a Carbon A - Micro, but to be honest with you I don't think it is worth the £159 I paid for it and so I've ordered a Chord C-USB at £60. I have a QED Reference 0.3m which I found to at least as good as Carbon at a fraction of the cost, but it is simply too stiff to be used the way I want to, plus it does not come in the 1.5m length I need. Chord Cables themselves say they prefer to use a B termination with an adaptor:

We would have liked to have supplied the cable fitted with micro-USB connectors but the challenge of fitting our heavier gauge conductors means that we would be unable to produce a mechanically reliable connection. High performance miniature components have been a real challenge. For the past couple of years we’ve been using our USB cables fitted with USB B to micro-USB adaptors. Adaptors are our least favourite thing and are generally to be avoided whenever possible. In this particular case, it gets interesting. We did some experimentation where we took some of the available micro-USB terminated cables and compared them with our own USB cables used with an adaptor. The limitations placed on conductor gauge by the micro-USB plug severely limit the length and the performance potential of micro-USB terminated cables. We got better results – certainly with the higher end portable devices we tried – by using our own USB cables, along with an adaptor. What this means is, if you have a decent DAC with a micro USB input, don’t be afraid to experiment with adaptors. We got the best performance this way and it’s something well worth trying.

Which cable did you use which was too heavy?

Feb 10, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #15,393 of 22,467
Previously my findings with any dac was that the difference was small but worth it, especially Mojo when paired well. Recent i got my hands on a Hugo2 for a great price i couldnt turn down. Things have changed a lot the past few weeks. Comparing with a friends Mojo ive changed my mind a lot on what can be extracted from 16bit audio CDs and how natural and real digital can sound.

What ive found is that with Hugo2 im hearing so much more in the way of recordings sounding quite a lot different from what I've been used to for such a long time, records that were flat and dull have new life where the guitar actually soars from a previously flat background, they sound powerful, edgy and aggressive. Drums have have a better sense of weight and thump, cymbals crash and shimmer a lot more realistically. The sound is just so much more 3D but in this context i dont mean soundstage i mean like seing a 2D to 3D image comparison. Layering, separation, timbre all incredible and just adds to everything.

My brother is die hard vinyl and its the first time he told me really loves the non fatiguing, smooth, detailed and natural sound coming from my headphones, i fully agree. Now my problem is do i run off "forever" and be happy or buckle up and travel down the long saving road to get to the TT2 and possibly Mscaler to enhance everything further...

Feb 10, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #15,394 of 22,467
I use it with Audio Quest Micro to mini USB adapter and to pair purchased audioqeust Coffee mini A to micro B USB

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AudioQuest...40_QL65&keywords=audioquest+usb+micro+to+mini

This is the best setup I have for using IOS. I absolutely can hear a difference when using this setup vs lesser priced options. The adapter and cables need jostling from time to time as if the adapter doesn’t fit 100% correctly it just doesn’t work.

Recently I’ve purcahsed and android pad from Huwai and it has the usb C available. I took advantage of this and had moon audio create a Silver Dragon Mini USB B to USB C. Therefore no more adapter. Moon Audio’s cables are as good in my opinion as Audioquest.

The Audioquest setup with adapter was approximelty 400-500usd as I also had to purchase the apple adapter camera as well. Plus decided to buy 1 or 2 usb jitter bugs. I reccomend those as well.

Moon audio Silver dragon Mini usb to Usb C
150usd.

Moon can create you whatever you want and they have much less expensive however just as quality cabling with whater connection feature you desire.

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #15,395 of 22,467
I too have a Carbon A - Micro, but to be honest with you I don't think it is worth the £159 I paid for it and so I've ordered a Chord C-USB at £60. I have a QED Reference 0.3m which I found to at least as good as Carbon at a fraction of the cost, but it is simply too stiff to be used the way I want to, plus it does not come in the 1.5m length I need. Chord Cables themselves say they prefer to use a B termination with an adaptor:

We would have liked to have supplied the cable fitted with micro-USB connectors but the challenge of fitting our heavier gauge conductors means that we would be unable to produce a mechanically reliable connection. High performance miniature components have been a real challenge. For the past couple of years we’ve been using our USB cables fitted with USB B to micro-USB adaptors. Adaptors are our least favourite thing and are generally to be avoided whenever possible. In this particular case, it gets interesting. We did some experimentation where we took some of the available micro-USB terminated cables and compared them with our own USB cables used with an adaptor. The limitations placed on conductor gauge by the micro-USB plug severely limit the length and the performance potential of micro-USB terminated cables. We got better results – certainly with the higher end portable devices we tried – by using our own USB cables, along with an adaptor. What this means is, if you have a decent DAC with a micro USB input, don’t be afraid to experiment with adaptors. We got the best performance this way and it’s something well worth trying.

Which cable did you use which was too heavy?

I used to have the QED cable as well - I agree excellent value for money cable. The AQ was £120 as I have the 0.75m length - but I have also found it to not be a step up in audio quality, however it is vey flexible and securely connects to the H2 without putting strain on the port.

At the time I trialled the adapter I had the Tellerium Q Blue USB cable. The combination of lack of flexibility, weight and different height between desk, cable and adapter simply made me feel uncomfortable with the strain on the port.

I will quite probably get the Curious Cable H2 link as has this cable before and regret changing it.

Feb 11, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #15,396 of 22,467
I used to have the QED cable as well - I agree excellent value for money cable. The AQ was £120 as I have the 0.75m length - but I have also found it to not be a step up in audio quality, however it is vey flexible and securely connects to the H2 without putting strain on the port.

At the time I trialled the adapter I had the Tellerium Q Blue USB cable. The combination of lack of flexibility, weight and different height between desk, cable and adapter simply made me feel uncomfortable with the strain on the port.

I will quite probably get the Curious Cable H2 link as has this cable before and regret changing it.

The strain on the port is what concerns me too. My thinking is that the cable tidy/organiser will rise the cable and support it.

This may not be the answer, and I may just try a 1m QED micro USB if this is not ideal but in general I think I want to return my Carbon and recoup the £159. I don't know if the micro USB - which is brand new and doesn't even appear on their website - is a lesser product than the standard A - B cable.

I also believe these higher end cables ought to look the part, and well, the Carbon micro doesn't.

Feb 11, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #15,397 of 22,467
Go for a generic usb cable with a usb certified logo. It's the best way.

Feb 11, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #15,399 of 22,467
Supra is certified that's all that matters.

Feb 11, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #15,400 of 22,467
Between you and me there are far more h2/hms users than you think.

Indeed. Things are going as I expected. The HMS is a revolutionary product and it is natural that a large number of users are taking advantage of it. They are enjoying the music, no need for them to post anything. They have reached the summit!

Feb 11, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #15,401 of 22,467
Indeed. Things are going as I expected. The HMS is a revolutionary product and it is natural that a large number of users are taking advantage of it. They are enjoying the music, no need for them to post anything. They have reached the summit!
By 'summit' in audiophile jargon you mean 'nirvana', don't you? :)

Feb 11, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #15,402 of 22,467
The place better than 9 willing maidens...:L3000:

Feb 11, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #15,404 of 22,467
Actually from a neurophysiological POV that's entirely true. My canton soundbar sounds badly out of time now.

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #15,405 of 22,467
Indeed, once you are there, there is no going back to lesser equipment. :L3000:
I know. That's why I am very careful what I actually audition or review. I have got the iFi Pro iCAN and Pro iDSD here to review. Before I opted in for this review my DAC was the 2Qute. Originally I only wanted to review the iCAN, but iFi was generous enough to send me the Pro iDSD as well. The problems started when I liked the Pro iDSD as a DAC much more than the 2Qute. I knew, there is no going back. At the same time I didn't want to pay £2400 for a DAC with tons of features I'd never use. So the path was clear, I had to upgrade the 2Qute for the Qutest. I actually prefer the Qutest to the Pro iDSD on pure sound quality (others might prefer the Pro iDSD) but this little experience cost me £400. Got an amazing deal on the Qutest and sold my 2Qute on a good price. £400 is a great deal for this sonic improvement but not when it is an 'unexpected' expense. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back