CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 10, 2024 at 6:08 AM Post #25,681 of 25,869
You missed the key part.
Mojo2 has to be paired with the MS to bypass its internal upsampling.
And the only way to connect them optically that I am aware of is to use OPTO-DX from Audiowise.
Well i can equip M2 with the same Broadcom opto receivers as i did my Dave. Feed them from M2's internal battery to stay totally noise free

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:39 AM Post #25,682 of 25,869
IMG_4284.jpeg

@Triode User I feed this from Antipodes/Squeeze over network to an Allo usbridge running ropieee/squeeze then usb to the src-dx. Results are astounding.

Mar 10, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #25,683 of 25,869
IMG_4284.jpeg

@Triode User I feed this from Antipodes/Squeeze over network to an Allo usbridge running ropieee/squeeze then usb to the src-dx. Results are astounding.
What is that 2nd 3.5mm dongle for ?

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #25,684 of 25,869
The discussion about the M2 v. Dave has been fascinating. I don't know if this has been raised before, but can I ask two questions?

1) Is all of this due to some witchcraft specific to the M2, or can the battery powered H2 also best the Dave with the same setup?
2) Can these tests be done with upsampled files bypassing the internal upsampling, or are we only talking about live MScaler application?

I don't use Mscaler but PGGB256 all my files up to 768. With the same files it's no contest. Dave is clearly superior. But, I've always only fed the H2 from the 2go offline using the SD card. I've long been a fan of HQP and PGGB for this application because you have Mscaler, or above, sound in a tiny package.

At any rate, I've never fed the H2 from a streamer, so it's never been an exact matchup against Dave. I'm now curious, and wondering if I should give it a shot.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #25,685 of 25,869
What is that 2nd 3.5mm dongle for ?
One is for 2.5mm and the other for 4.4mm phones. And the source is 16fs pggb files usually.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #25,686 of 25,869
The discussion about the M2 v. Dave has been fascinating. I don't know if this has been raised before, but can I ask two questions?

1) Is all of this due to some witchcraft specific to the M2, or can the battery powered H2 also best the Dave with the same setup?
2) Can these tests be done with upsampled files bypassing the internal upsampling, or are we only talking about live MScaler application?

I don't use Mscaler but PGGB256 all my files up to 768. With the same files it's no contest. Dave is clearly superior. But, I've always only fed the H2 from the 2go offline using the SD card. I've long been a fan of HQP and PGGB for this application because you have Mscaler, or above, sound in a tiny package.

At any rate, I've never fed the H2 from a streamer, so it's never been an exact matchup against Dave. I'm now curious, and wondering if I should give it a shot.
I believe there is some magic happens in M2 when its internal upsampling bypassed and it is isolated from noise by optical.
I ran MS/TT2 against MS/DAVE and TT2 lasted only a couple of tracks before complete and unconditional surrender.
With M2, however, it is a much closer fight, in my opinion.
I am listening to MS/M2 exclusively for more than a week now and not missing a bit.
While I have not done M2/TT2 direct comparison, the way each of them stood up against DAVE tells the story.

I did listen to a sample of PGGB256 albums through M2, they sound great.

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #25,687 of 25,869
I believe there is some magic happens in M2 when its internal upsampling bypassed and it is isolated from noise by optical.
I ran MS/TT2 against MS/DAVE and TT2 lasted only a couple of tracks before complete and unconditional surrender.
With M2, however, it is a much closer fight, in my opinion.
I am listening to MS/M2 exclusively for more than a week now and not missing a bit.
While I have not done M2/TT2 direct comparison, the way each of them stood up against DAVE tells the story.

I did listen to a sample of PGGB256 albums through M2, they sound great.

Thanks, I see. Then, I'll really be anticipating Triode User's tests and take on this.

Since noise is a significant factor in all of this, I wonder what difference the Innuous Phoenix might make. I'm feeding a usb to optical signal into the phoenix which then goes, via a sablon cable, to a SRC-DX to dual BNC into Dave. TriodeUser also used to run a phoenix, though I'm not sure if its still in his system,.

Mar 11, 2024 at 1:55 AM Post #25,688 of 25,869
Thanks, I see. Then, I'll really be anticipating Triode User's tests and take on this.

Since noise is a significant factor in all of this, I wonder what difference the Innuous Phoenix might make. I'm feeding a usb to optical signal into the phoenix which then goes, via a sablon cable, to a SRC-DX to dual BNC into Dave. TriodeUser also used to run a phoenix, though I'm not sure if its still in his system,.
Yes, I still have the PhoenixUSB and a SRC-DX and a Sablon EVO usb cable. I found the PhoenixUSB to make the SRC-DX to sound at its best and have always thought this might be partly down to the quality of the separate 5V usb power outlet in the Phoenix because this powers the SRC-DX via the usb cable.

I’m hoping to have the borrowed Mojo2 by Tuesday or maybe Wednesday.

Mar 11, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #25,690 of 25,869
Great Mojo2 and Dave discussion! Does it need to be with MScaler or does HQP does the trick as well?
I have not tried the HQPlayer, but the MS and PGGB playback sounded the same to me (I failed the blind test miserably).
Someone told me that MS degrades the PGGB playback sound, even in the bypass mode, I am waiting for SRC-DX to arrive to prove or disprove it.

Mar 11, 2024 at 9:11 PM Post #25,691 of 25,869
Great Mojo2 and Dave discussion! Does it need to be with MScaler or does HQP does the trick as well?
HQP settings versatility as main advantage may becomes it's achilles heel. I got lost with itterating 'best settings', certainly when people discuss which settings best for rock,... voices...classic.. Maybe I overthink it but with the settings-galore that was something invited to happen.

MS is like: there..and..done.

So 'the trick' leans toward MS imho.

Mar 11, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #25,692 of 25,869
HQP settings versatility as main advantage may becomes it's achilles heel. I got lost with itterating 'best settings', certainly when people discuss which settings best for rock,... voices...classic.. Maybe I overthink it but with the settings-galore that was something invited to happen.

MS is like: there..and..done.

So 'the trick' leans toward MS imho.
Four letters for ya: P G G B

Mar 11, 2024 at 9:25 PM Post #25,693 of 25,869
The results from said tests are going to be Dave positive and will completely disregard the Mojo2. Saving those waiting for conclusion :)

Mar 11, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #25,694 of 25,869
I only have the Mojo V1. Any experience with MS-->Mojo1?

Anyone use the Black Dragon Mini Coax Digital Cable For Chord Mojo 2 - Hugo 2 to M Scaler​

https://www.moon-audio.com/black-mini-coax-hugo-2-hugo-m-scaler.html

Or can I just use the RCA to 3.5mm adapter previously discussed to reap the full benefits of the MS? I currently use dual Audioquest Carbon digital cables with BNC adapters.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #25,695 of 25,869
The results from said tests are going to be Dave positive and will completely disregard the Mojo2. Saving those waiting for conclusion :)
Honestly, that's hilarious (grinning).

I am fairly confident though that, aside from a conclusion, there will be some insightful analysis. Dan Mance really highlighted M2's superior "transparency." I'd like to hear Triode User's assessment on other components of SQ as well, staging, dynamics, etc. To my mind, aspects like the Dave's 20 element pulse array should translate into real-world performance improvements over M2.

But, in the end, the indisputable law of audio is: "if it sounds good it is good." Doesn't matter how you got there, tubes or transistors, palladium or plain copper, the most expensive parts or just a better design.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back