CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 9, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #25,666 of 25,973
Just made that comparison MS (always x16) to first mojo2, ten TT2, then Dave.
Each time using its own Headphone Out to Meze Elite.

Mojo2 was no lesser at all considering drawing out and presenting the notes in clarity imho, very very clear.
But the stage was more centralized in space, partly in my head and partly outside, say 75% inside, 25% outside.

TT2 brought more music outside my head (say 20% inside, 80% outside) and with Dave it felt nothing came from within my head anymore, like it came from an endless sky.

I suppose it's all about transients here, tearing the stage open with more taps.
I heared this clearly in the experience and/or I've been victim of taps-to-transients knowledge biasing the outcome experienced.

An amp after Dave that has a weak transients preservation factor would kill Dave's most profound asset imho.

The available dynamic range felt also a bit rising mojo2 - TT2 - Dave but mojo2 had enough of that to be utterly satisfied with imho.

PS: MS on a LiFePO4 batt, no voltage regulation, raw from the terminals)
Can you say a bit more about your ms battery setup, perhaps with a photo lol

Mar 9, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #25,668 of 25,973
Keeping the MS and replacing DAVE with Mojo2.
I am not a headphones guy, in my setup Mojo2 beats DAVE if you could believe it.
As an added bonus, it does not need two expensive AC cables, power conditioner and a stack of LPSs to get the most out of it.
Money savings was not a factor in my decision.
In fact, I was so biased towards DAVE, that I tried to find anything in Mojo2 that would keep me from looking like a fool, but could not.

That said, I can see why headphones listeners would not exchange DAVE for anything Else.
the mojo2 does not beat the dave under any circumstance other than cost

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #25,669 of 25,973
Money was no object for me and I chose to sell DAVE.
In addition to SQ, convenience and simplicity were the factors.
There are just too many things to make DAVE happy - optical isolation at the input, power conditioner (with two large AC cables), or external LPSs with more cables.
With Mojo2 it is just optical isolation at the source.

Have you tried to compare the two, with MS and external power amp (no headphones)?
If not, then you are just making a baseless claim.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #25,671 of 25,973
There are just too many things to make DAVE happy - optical isolation at the input, power conditioner (with two large AC cables), or external LPSs with more cables.

Have you tried to compare the two, with MS and external power amp (no headphones)?
baseless?I own both the comparison is simply ridiculous but enjoy it you will save money

Mar 10, 2024 at 1:18 AM Post #25,673 of 25,973

Too many audiophiles let the price tag influence the sound quality.

If he prefers the mojo 2 then it’s better even if it is the cheapest chord DAC.

Look at the HD650, many “better” and more expensive headphones have come out since then but some people absolutely love them so much they are willing to pair them with far more expensive tube amplifiers and dacs, preference, synergy etc

I did a speaker shootout with around 7 pairs from £300 to £2000
Turned out that I liked the cheapest one the most, it worked best for my tastes (perfectly balanced, musical and smooth) Many people scoff at the idea of low priced hifi equipment but imo it’s the most competitive and drives innovation because it sells the best. Factor in diminishing returns and you can get some serious bang for buck from a well reputable hifi company.

If anyone’s interested the winning speakers were the Wharfedale Diamond 12 designed by Karl Heinz Fink.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 4:04 AM Post #25,674 of 25,973

Hmmn, well, the two sides have staked their claims and there is only one way to find out so I am borrowing a Mojo 2 next week to compare to Dave. I will also try the Mojo 2 with MS. This will be in a speaker system as I do not own any headphones. The claims for Mojo 2 seem to centre around feeding it optical so I will use optical output from my Antipodes Oladra.

Mar 10, 2024 at 4:22 AM Post #25,675 of 25,973
Hmmn, well, the two sides have staked their claims and there is only one way to find out so I am borrowing a Mojo 2 next week to compare to Dave. I will also try the Mojo 2 with MS. This will be in a speaker system as I do not own any headphones. The claims for Mojo 2 seem to centre around feeding it optical so I will use optical output from my Antipodes Oladra.
If i understood correctly.. @chelseafc uses M2 with the Mscaler optically (OptoDX) not Toslink. That is what made the difference.

Mar 10, 2024 at 5:14 AM Post #25,676 of 25,973
If i understood correctly.. @chelseafc uses M2 with the Mscaler optically (OptoDX) not Toslink. That is what made the difference.
I have one of those if that is the case but I will ask what is his favoured set up so I can replicate it.

Mar 10, 2024 at 5:32 AM Post #25,678 of 25,973
You will indeed find out what it does in your particular setup.
What amp/speakers please?
I will have to think about the speakers because I normally use ATC 150 active speakers and they are XLR input only so I might instead use a Pass Labs XA60.8 pair of power amps with some Spendor passive speakers.

Mar 10, 2024 at 5:52 AM Post #25,679 of 25,973
You missed the key part.
Mojo2 has to be paired with the MS to bypass its internal upsampling.
And the only way to connect them optically that I am aware of is to use OPTO-DX from Audiowise.

Mar 10, 2024 at 6:06 AM Post #25,680 of 25,973
You missed the key part.
Mojo2 has to be paired with the MS to bypass its internal upsampling.
And the only way to connect them optically that I am aware of is to use OPTO-DX from Audiowise.
I am using this adaptor on both DBNC and audio outputs
https://www.audioadvisor.com/aqmini...L38rBMC-Y7IBGQ0t0GDRk8pSECJ-YbaxoCY50QAvD_BwE

Important - with external amp, only the output closest to the LEDs is usable, the other one generates a hum.
I discovered it by accident, a minute before sending Mojo2 back in disgust.
In my setup the volume on Mojo2 is set to both LEDs purple, the sample color as the sample rate one at 705KHz.
EQ is bypassed, no cross feed engaged.
It did take Mojo2 few days to fully open up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back