CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Dec 26, 2023 at 5:30 AM Post #25,261 of 25,868
The omega super alnico high output monitor ticks all the right boxes for driving direct from dave//tt2. The listed price is around 2010 GBP which goes up to 2553 GBP on checkout. Does anyone know if that includes taxes when shipped to uk? I know alot of people use dave direct to power omegas. Might be beautiful with my JL D110 sub underneath.

1703586664003.png

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #25,262 of 25,868
You go from Dave direct or with an amp in between?
With a power amp in between, TL2 M/T is currently run with Croft 7R monoblocks with the 18" BMS using a Hypex plate amp, whilst the Alpair rear speakers are currently run with a Rotel RB-03. I may be upgrading the power amps in the future AGD has caught my eye at the moment but I tend to change my mind a fair bit during the research phase.
My apologies for the wording.

Dec 26, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #25,264 of 25,868
With a power amp in between, TL2 M/T is currently run with Croft 7R monoblocks with the 18" BMS using a Hypex plate amp, whilst the Alpair rear speakers are currently run with a Rotel RB-03. I may be upgrading the power amps in the future AGD has caught my eye at the moment but I tend to change my mind a fair bit during the research phase.
My apologies for the wording.
Those Crofts look like real handmades.
Nice short signal paths in them

Dec 26, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #25,265 of 25,868
Glen Croft sadly died in a motorbike accident not so long ago, he was very much a maverick designer, and short signal paths were very much part of his design philosophy,
on the output of this particular design, the positive and negative are swapped as this eliminates one stage in the amp and makes the signal path as short as possible.
At the moment they are the best power amps I have had in my system and when I first installed them it was one of those moments where I sat back and said to myself "so this is what having soundstage is like". I would be reluctant to sell them but I have the option of using them to power the Alpairs on the rear and use a new amp for the front speakers. One of the other things I like about them is tube life is 10k hours so it is ages before I need to swap the tubes over.

One other thing I have noticed is every time I disconnect the rear speakers I miss them a lot..... even my WAF who let's face it is not a big fan of HIFI comments on the difference..... You need the space to do fronts and rears which we have but is not possible for everyone. Just one more point here every time I have heard 5.1 it's OK most of the time then all of a sudden something sounds like it is coming from completly the wrong place, so for me a straight stereo front and rear works best.

Dec 26, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #25,266 of 25,868
However, the Etude is a small amp that in my opinion follows the Dave philosophy very well.
Some time ago I wanted to try the Omega speakers, high efficiency without Xover, surely someone knows them......

I hadn't read all the previous posts.......

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #25,268 of 25,868
Dec 26, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #25,269 of 25,868
The ultimate audiophile altar?

If only!!! It would have to contain the Sennheiser HE-1 to be that!

Though it is turning into a bit of Chord/Meze shrine! Just waiting delivery of the Empyrean II so I'm going to have to start selling stuff I think.

The Elite and OG Empy play very very nicely with the Dave, Hugo and Mojo but the Empy II are apprenatly very fussy with amp pairing so curious as to how they will sound.

Dec 27, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #25,273 of 25,868
Basically yes.
But input 3/4 seems to be 'better" sounding. At least that was the consensus over the years.
In my case for sure since theyre the optical DX inputs 😁

Dec 27, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #25,274 of 25,868
Basically yes.
But input 3/4 seems to be 'better" sounding. At least that was the consensus over the years.
That's so funny you say that. That's exactly why I asked.

I didn't even realize there was a BNC in 3/4 until Chord asked me to try it because BNC1 isn't working and for the last 3 hours I've been thinking, "am I nuts or does this actually sound better?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back