CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Dec 24, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #25,246 of 25,868
I think it's the ES9018 Sabre dca chip. I found the same thing, I used the Oppo BDP105 as a source for a while, when waiting on getting the Dave. I only use it as an occasional CD transport now. It's optically connected to the Mscaler
It is, before I listened to Chord it was my trusted DAC. I use it as a player via TosLink connected to the M Scaler as you do. I got a large collection of SACDs, sometimes I pop one in to listen in DSD mode, I can't listen to PCM stuff on it anymore, but with SACDs it's cool, I guess it's because it's technically a DSD DAC with SACDs I find it fine.

Dec 24, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #25,247 of 25,868
Dependent on quality of recording +5 to +10 is usually at the very top end of volume but 90 percent of the time i am between -5 to +5 depending on time of day too.

Dec 24, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #25,248 of 25,868
Hahahahahaha, you're a wise man my friend. I'll get a bottle of single malt Glenlivet, that'll add to the experience. 😂 😂 😂 😂

A man after my own heart! This is how I prefer to listen these days. Glenlivet 15 (amongst others!) Cheers 🥃

IMG_6495.jpeg

Dec 24, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #25,249 of 25,868
i own the pm1 and still is my main headphone after all these years.

Dec 24, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #25,251 of 25,868
Dependent on quality of recording +5 to +10 is usually at the very top end of volume but 90 percent of the time i am between -5 to +5 depending on time of day too.
I don’t know if TT2 volume settings are similar to Dave. If they are the same then you’re probably listening just a bit on the louder end (but still probably softer than most people) so yeah, I suspect you’ll get better sound from the Etude’s additional power.

Dec 25, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #25,254 of 25,868
The latest news is im seriously thinking of going for the heresy 4 horn speaker at 99dB efficiency to maintain total transparency. I have till the 27th to decide. Anyone with sound impressions of the klipsch heresy 4 or other klipsch heritage range horn speakers especially direct from dave or other horns direct from dave? I wont be able to audition but reviews seem mostly great. The klipsch horns more a live in your room sound the metas smaller with more precise sound. The heresy 4 will be powered from tt2 direct and the tt2 is also connected to my JL D110 dominion powered sub.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #25,256 of 25,868
The latest news is im seriously thinking of going for the heresy 4 horn speaker at 99dB efficiency to maintain total transparency. I have till the 27th to decide. Anyone with sound impressions of the klipsch heresy 4 or other klipsch heritage range horn speakers especially direct from dave or other horns direct from dave? I wont be able to audition but reviews seem mostly great. The klipsch horns more a live in your room sound the metas smaller with more precise sound. The heresy 4 will be powered from tt2 direct and the tt2 is also connected to my JL D110 dominion powered sub.

I listened to horn speakers at occation .. not on Chord gear. My take is although theyre really power efficient theyre also enormously sweetspot dependent as they fire in a small angle.

I heard these and sitting near the left speaker.. i couldnt hear the right channel at all.

20231007_130605.jpg

To benefit most from Rob's DAC transparency you should go for single driver speakers without a filter to mess up phasing of the signal. The stage and instrument placing youll get with single drivers is mindblowing.

These Pearl acoustics i would like hear on TT2 or Dave direct.. Ok they dont look impressive aesthetically and wont play at cinema levels.. but the purity of the sound is so mature.
They had some unexpected deep going bass on their tuned cabinet too.

20231007_165754.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #25,258 of 25,868
I am running the Troels Gravsen TL2 as front speakers and the Alpairs as rears both off the Dave.
DIY speakers can have some great savings money-wise and still be mighty impressive to listen to, the TL2 can be built in different versions with a choice of super tweeter, I got some of the last GRT145 super tweeters but unfortunately, the chap who made them is Russian and production has now stopped.
As Troels says in his write-up of the TL2 you can sit 4 people on a sofa in front of them and everyone gets a solid stereo image...and I can confirm it's true.
The sound from the compression driver and 10" midrange driver creates solid imaging with a clarity I have never had before all this is backed up with the BMS 18" subs which I was a little skeptical about needing at first but now couldn't be without them.

Attachments

• 559DABCB-3E8F-4A72-BCAF-4C6D3FCBA718.jpeg
    559DABCB-3E8F-4A72-BCAF-4C6D3FCBA718.jpeg
    803.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 62BE264E-DFDE-426E-B4E8-D70E606AEB42.jpeg
    62BE264E-DFDE-426E-B4E8-D70E606AEB42.jpeg
    965.1 KB · Views: 0
Dec 26, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #25,260 of 25,868
I am running the Troels Gravsen TL2 as front speakers and the Alpairs as rears both off the Dave.
DIY speakers can have some great savings money-wise and still be mighty impressive to listen to, the TL2 can be built in different versions with a choice of super tweeter, I got some of the last GRT145 super tweeters but unfortunately, the chap who made them is Russian and production has now stopped.
As Troels says in his write-up of the TL2 you can sit 4 people on a sofa in front of them and everyone gets a solid stereo image...and I can confirm it's true.
The sound from the compression driver and 10" midrange driver creates solid imaging with a clarity I have never had before all this is backed up with the BMS 18" subs which I was a little skeptical about needing at first but now couldn't be without them.
You go from Dave direct or with an amp in between?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back