CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Dec 23, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #25,231 of 25,870
Same here … with the Chord gear in my system I didn’t keep chasing cables, and tweaks and all the other stuff, I just bought more music than I ever did previously … which is saying something .. 🙄
Exactly, it's not that these DACs are "perfect" or some hyperbole, it's just that they do something which triggers an emotional response in some of us, the others don't. Some people take offense to that, I say too bad 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂

Dec 23, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #25,232 of 25,870
Same here … with the Chord gear in my system I didn’t keep chasing cables, and tweaks and all the other stuff, I just bought more music than I ever did previously … which is saying something .. 🙄
I'm buying a ton of music now, and pulled out all the CDs out of my closet to experience them again, it's been fun.

Dec 23, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #25,233 of 25,870
Exactly, it's not that these DACs are "perfect" or some hyperbole, it's just that they do something which triggers an emotional response in some of us, the others don't. Some people take offense to that, I say too bad 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂
I suppose you can’t ask for more than that from a piece of gear. Would love to revisit your comments in 10yrs.

Dec 23, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #25,234 of 25,870
I suppose you can’t ask for more than that from a piece of gear. Would love to revisit your comments in 10yrs.
Me too buddy, maybe there'll be something much better from a different brand, hey maybe that Rockna stuff is awesome, or that uber priced Wadax. Hopefully I get to listen to them at some point . I gotta say, before I listened to Chord there was an MSB system with Rockport speakers and Einstein tube amps that blew me away, it sounded amazing. Sadly it hasn't sounded anywhere what I heard that day lately.

Dec 23, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #25,235 of 25,870
Me too buddy, maybe there'll be something much better from a different brand, hey maybe that Rockna stuff is awesome, or that uber priced Wadax. Hopefully I get to listen to them at some point . I gotta say, before I listened to Chord there was an MSB system with Rockport speakers and Einstein tube amps that blew me away, it sounded amazing. Sadly it hasn't sounded anywhere what I heard that day lately.
Sadly when it bites as an all consuming hobby the temptation is to keep going … $$ being the only limitation, reminds me of a line from a James song “if I hadn’t seen such riches I could live with being poor “ .. when you get to a point where you’re just listening to music for the sheer enjoyment it’s time to say “enough”, sit back and enjoy … 😄

Dec 23, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #25,236 of 25,870
Sadly when it bites as an all consuming hobby the temptation is to keep going … $$ being the only limitation, reminds me of a line from a James song “if I hadn’t seen such riches I could live with being poor “ .. when you get to a point where you’re just listening to music for the sheer enjoyment it’s time to say “enough”, sit back and enjoy … 😄
That's so true, that's where I am now. Just listening to music.

Dec 23, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #25,237 of 25,870
That's so true, that's where I am now. Just listening to music.
lol
Spend the money instead on boutique coffee or a nice single malt to enhance the experience …
Edit:
Or if you’re not too far “down the rabbit hole” and still have a wife/partner buy them something nice for Christmas and share the love around .. 😉

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #25,238 of 25,870
lol
Spend the money instead on boutique coffee or a nice single malt to enhance the experience …
Edit:
Or if you’re not too far “down the rabbit hole” and still have a wife/partner buy them something nice for Christmas and share the love around .. 😉
Hahahahahaha, you're a wise man my friend. I'll get a bottle of single malt Glenlivet, that'll add to the experience. 😂 😂 😂 😂

Dec 23, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #25,239 of 25,870
For everyone using an etude with dave i'd appreciate some advice. Has anyone compared going dave direct into a set of speakers maybe more efficient ones and then comparing that with an etude in the chain. I'm thinking transparency here.

Finally would the following set up work.....my mscaler//tt2 rca outs feeding an analogue signal into the etude which is then connected to my kef ls50 metas. At the same i continue to connect my JL D110 subwoofer using the two xlr outs from the tt2?

At present im using my mtt2 rca outs to the kef meta speakers and xlr outs from tt2 to my sub. In a nearfield set up im not looking for increased volume but as everyone is saying the kefs need power im curious to see how the etude improves the overall performance of these speakers vs any reduction in transparency. Nintronics have a trade in etude for 2850 almost 2000 off the new price.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #25,240 of 25,870
For some reason though, I don't get the same emotional connection with the Oppo and others than I get with Chord, Rob's DACs get me more involved, i guess it's just my preference.
I think it's the ES9018 Sabre dca chip. I found the same thing, I used the Oppo BDP105 as a source for a while, when waiting on getting the Dave. I only use it as an occasional CD transport now. It's optically connected to the Mscaler

Dec 24, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #25,241 of 25,870
For everyone using an etude with dave i'd appreciate some advice. Has anyone compared going dave direct into a set of speakers maybe more efficient ones and then comparing that with an etude in the chain. I'm thinking transparency here.

Finally would the following set up work.....my mscaler//tt2 rca outs feeding an analogue signal into the etude which is then connected to my kef ls50 metas. At the same i continue to connect my JL D110 subwoofer using the two xlr outs from the tt2?

At present im using my mtt2 rca outs to the kef meta speakers and xlr outs from tt2 to my sub. In a nearfield set up im not looking for increased volume but as everyone is saying the kefs need power im curious to see how the etude improves the overall performance of these speakers vs any reduction in transparency. Nintronics have a trade in etude for 2850 almost 2000 off the new price.
Dave's OP section is not as potent as TT2's.
It can drive speakers direct and i tried that with my own. And while its transparency and sound placement go off the charts.. youll miss the power.

My 25 y/o Denon POA S10 UHC mono's direct on Dave without pre just impress alot more even having a small SQ loss.

Dec 24, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #25,242 of 25,870

Ciao, I started with 1 Etude, now I use 2 in bridge mode, they are particularly transparent amps, excellent tone, perfect companions for the Dave if you don't need a lot of power. Not for nothing are they part of the Choral series. (I think when the new Scaler that will be designed for Choral comes out, it will be fun). I had tried the direct connection with the TT2 but I didn't like it. I think connecting the Dave directly to my speakers is a waste of time.
At that price I wouldn't think twice, you won't regret it.

Dec 24, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #25,243 of 25,870
can i set up tt2 the metas and etude in the way described above? its getting interesting add an etude to my metas or go for a high priced 4k ish efficient bookshelf speaker. i do love the metas though and worry the transparency of tt2 might be cancelled out with the etude. listening on a home demo maybe?? so not a question of loudness but how much better the etude might improve the handling and dynamics of the speaker?

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #25,244 of 25,870
can i set up tt2 the metas and etude in the way described above? its getting interesting add an etude to my metas or go for a high priced 4k ish efficient bookshelf speaker. i do love the metas though and worry the transparency of tt2 might be cancelled out with the etude. listening on a home demo maybe?? so not a question of loudness but how much better the etude might improve the handling and dynamics of the speaker?
You ask me questions that I can't answer, but I can tell you about my experience, I didn't like the TT2 connected directly to the speakers at all, it sounded shrill, flat, definitely a No No.....for my taste, of corse.
If you don't need high power, the Etude is the most transparent (very transparent), faithful and exciting amp that I have tried, I would buy them again with my eyes closed. I understand that you are looking for the solution that you will like the most, these are not easy decisions.

Dec 24, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #25,245 of 25,870
So if the TT2 can drive the LS50 metas loud enough for you, I doubt the Etude is going to increase handling and dynamics and you’re always going to lose a bit of transparency through the Etude. I can’t drive my speakers using my Dave but I can hear just slightly more transparency and soundstage depth through my headphones from the Dave compared to the Etude driving my speakers.

For what it’s worth, I believe Rob Watts said at one point that because he doesn’t listen loud, he drives his full range B&W speakers with the TT2 with no problems. What is the maximum volume colour that you would use on the TT2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back