CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Nov 19, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #23,191 of 25,868
I really don’t care what anyone says. I’m not going to buy an other DAC as the Chord Dave is good enough really.

I compared the Chord Dave against DAC’s that were over $20.000 and the Chord Dave held it’s own back then. So I’m fine with it regardless what anyone says about the Chord Dave.

Nov 19, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #23,192 of 25,868
I think it’s several things. 1) the DAVE is pricey and too expensive for many, so trashing it makes one feel better for not buying it. 2) the DAVE has been getting amazing reviews since it came out and is always on reviewers best of lists. That makes the DAVE a target, as people like to see the mighty fall. 3) Rob is omnipresent at conferences, so he is seen as some sort of authority figure. He’s also a bit arrogant, if we’re being honest. That makes his products an easy target for people to want to take down. 4) The DAvE measures poorly in ways that ASR deems important. The cult drinks that Kool-Aid and trashes the DAVE.

I personally love my DAVE and appreciate Rob interacting with our community. I just can see why others want to attack it.
I just totally ignored Dave in the beginning as it was out of my reach.. just didnt listen to one as it could become a obsession and i focussed on Qutest when it came.. and i was real happy with it.

Only 5 years after its release when used ones became more 'affordable' and i got unexpected funds i started to read about it and heard it first time at a seller's place.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #23,193 of 25,868
You guys are aware that "maths" is standard usage in Britain and Europe, right? Does saying "please" give someone license to make a silly, unreasonable request?

The deceleration if independence does

il_fullxfull.3336204641_7i3k.jpg

But realy. Everyone should like what they like. Having had Dave and now having Totaldac the choice was easy for me which matched my preference better. Starting a crap show cause I didn't check the thread title when responding to a 8 y/o comment is my bad tbh

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #23,194 of 25,868
The deceleration if independence does

il_fullxfull.3336204641_7i3k.jpg

But realy. Everyone should like what they like. Having had Dave and now having Totaldac the choice was easy for me which matched my preference better. Starting a crap show cause I didn't check the thread title when responding to a 8 y/o comment is my bad tbh
It's good that you found what you're looking for. I found mines and Rob Watts is my boy, love his DACs.

Nov 19, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #23,195 of 25,868
I think it’s several things. 1) the DAVE is pricey and too expensive for many, so trashing it makes one feel better for not buying it. 2) the DAVE has been getting amazing reviews since it came out and is always on reviewers best of lists. That makes the DAVE a target, as people like to see the mighty fall. 3) Rob is omnipresent at conferences, so he is seen as some sort of authority figure. He’s also a bit arrogant, if we’re being honest. That makes his products an easy target for people to want to take down. 4) The DAvE measures poorly in ways that ASR deems important. The cult drinks that Kool-Aid and trashes the DAVE.

I personally love my DAVE and appreciate Rob interacting with our community. I just can see why others want to attack it.
honestly, I couldnt have said it better...perhaps encapsulation

Nov 19, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #23,198 of 25,868
Oh you haven’t heard the good news yet? The prophet has come. Let hIm save you. You don’t need to enjoy your music. Just get a cheap Chinese knock off and though it grates on your ears, know that this is only because you aren’t enlightened. Smarter machines have determined that you like the wrong things and that as you sit there hating it, you are actually enjoying it better because the SINAD is higher and because Lord Amir says so….

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #23,199 of 25,868
Oh you haven’t heard the good news yet? The prophet has come. Let hIm save you. You don’t need to enjoy your music. Just get a cheap Chinese knock off and though it grates on your ears, know that this is only because you aren’t enlightened. Smarter machines have determined that you like the wrong things and that as you sit there hating it, you are actually enjoying it better because the SINAD is higher and because Lord Amir says so….
I was trying to be funny, I know the cult leader 😂

Nov 20, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #23,200 of 25,868

Most if not all of the things you mention may be true but I still think that, with the possible exception of point 4), it misses something. It’s an argument ad hominem, using motive to judge the accuracy of the conclusion. For me, the substantive question is what measurements matter and why they do, or don’t, not the intention behind the argument.

Nov 20, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #23,201 of 25,868
Most if not all of the things you mention may be true but I still think that, with the possible exception of point 4), it misses something. It’s an argument ad hominem, using motive to judge the accuracy of the conclusion. For me, the substantive question is what measurements matter and why they do, or don’t, not the intention behind the argument.
I personally don’t think their measurements matter, aren’t actually measuring the sound quality construct, and are missing key aspects of sound quality. Their measurements are only good at assessing small portions of what sound quality actually entails. They are next to meaningless.

Nov 20, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #23,202 of 25,868
I personally don’t think their measurements matter, aren’t actually measuring the sound quality construct, and are missing key aspects of sound quality. Their measurements are only good at assessing small portions of what sound quality actually entails. They are next to meaningless.
You may be right, as reflected in the fact that there doesn’t seem to be much overlap between the figures Rob emphasises and other figures cited.

Although there’s an element of subjectivity and taste involved, what I find more difficult to understand is the claim that one can’t hear a difference between the DAVE and other DACs. Perhaps not in short bursts but with longer listening comparison it’s pretty obvious.

Nov 20, 2022 at 6:28 AM Post #23,203 of 25,868
Measuring distortion and using it solely to assess sound quality is like measuring seismic activity and using it solely to determine if a place is good to live or not. Sure, I want no seismic activity, but there is so much more that goes into determining if a place is good to live in or not. Plus, California has some nice cities to live in, for example.

Nov 20, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #23,204 of 25,868
I remember Rob saying that you should never put in or take out a headphone whilst dave is on, which may cause damage.

Food for thought, mebbe
Did anyone find a reference for this? I’ve not been able to find anything stating this.

Nov 20, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #23,205 of 25,868
Did anyone find a reference for this? I’ve not been able to find anything stating this.
No apart from that TT2 guide that I suggested.
Amberlamps often discusses issues with Rob via PM, and did have problems with more than one TT2, so it is possible that the source was a PM rather than a public post.
Identifying the correct 'search term' is the difficult part at the moment.

I have tried a few more search terms, plus the Watts Up thread, but drawn a blank.
I am sure that I have read a similar explanation about the need to switch components off, but I cannot remember exactly where it is located.

Maybe Rob is the only person who might remember where he posted or documented the info.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back