CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Nov 17, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #23,161 of 25,867
Talking about the flabbergasting resolution powers of the DAVE ... Spatial reconstruction capabilities over headphones, especially with crossfeed active, are truly astounding on this beautiful recording :)

1668715321740.png

Misa Criolla! đź‘Ť I love it. Have you heard a version performed by Musica Temprana? I love the album, made by Cobra Records. It was recorded in a church and original recording made in DSD64 with binaural microphones is incredibly impressive. A very successful combination of authentic performance and the perfect work of the recording team. The binaural version in headphones is simply amazing. I have come across records that sound too "binaural" and unusual technicality can even distract from the music, but with this album, Cobra Records did it perfectly - it just sounds "real".

Nov 18, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #23,162 of 25,867
Smooth, Dynamic, etc in the Filter mode is a little different from upsampling on an Auralic device. The Filters are relatively benign and Smooth is a popular option. I think the point that’s been made is that it might be best to have the quite separate upsampling option off and leave that to the Dave. Personally, I disable the resampler entirely on the Processor Setup tab for the Aries G2.1, but as with all things let your ears be the judge. If it sounds good to you, or you can’t hear a difference, then all is okay, but avoid quick A/B tests. Longer listening sessions are the best means of assessment.
Thanks, there is nothing more helpful than someone who has virtually the same gear as you. So your findings are most helpful. Although I'm still not sure which way to go.

Nov 18, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #23,163 of 25,867
Anyone have their Dave switch to the headphone output on its own while playing? Mine randomy switches to headphone out once or twice a day. To get it to switch back to the xlr out, i have to insert the 1/4 inch headphone jack and pull it out….
sometimes if i wait for a minute, it will switch back out.

I think something is triggering the headphone out. I never use the headphone out on the Dave…..
I’ve tried using an air blower bulb (for camera lenses) in the headphone jack but it doesn’t help.

I remember Rob saying that you should never put in or take out a headphone whilst dave is on, which may cause damage.

Food for thought, mebbe

Nov 18, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #23,165 of 25,867
I can’t remember seeing that in the manual but as a headphone user, if correct, that’s an important - indeed critical - piece of nformation.
Not heard that myself either, doesn’t mean it’s not out there though! If I want to compare some music from Dave whilst listening on my tube amp, I just plug into Dave.

Nov 18, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #23,166 of 25,867
I remember Rob saying that you should never put in or take out a headphone whilst dave is on, which may cause damage.

Food for thought, mebbe
I’ve never seen that. I do it all the time so this is concerning if true.

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #23,172 of 25,867
DAVE ? TotalDAC D1-Dual ? DAVE ? TotalDAC D1-Dual ? DAVE ? TotalDAC D1-Dual ? DAVE ? TotalDAC D1-Dual ? .....
confused.gif
we have a tough hobby !
only 7 years late, but d1-dual, imo, is a fairly significant step above dave. In pure raw utter resolution alone blu -> dave may be a half step above the digital -> dual, but from a wholistic point of view I dont think its even a competition. Dual is far less music picky, is willing to be offensive when it should be, has the same grand staging, and also the same amazing separation all while better utalizing the entire stage, having more accurate texture, and better overall timbre as well. I think the only real thing that could be a downside is that its a little over dense/full bodied, but on a personal level, I like that a lot (if accurate is a 5, its a 5.5 while dave is more of a 3.5 imo).

I will say that I dont think you can get the chord sound elsewhere, so if you absolutely must have the cord sound, go dave, but other wise the dual is a very very good shout.

Nov 18, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #23,173 of 25,867
only 7 years late, but d1-dual, imo, is a fairly significant step above dave. In pure raw utter resolution alone blu -> dave may be a half step above the digital -> dual, but from a wholistic point of view I dont think its even a competition. Dual is far less music picky, is willing to be offensive when it should be, has the same grand staging, and also the same amazing separation all while better utalizing the entire stage, having more accurate texture, and better overall timbre as well. I think the only real thing that could be a downside is that its a little over dense/full bodied, but on a personal level, I like that a lot (if accurate is a 5, its a 5.5 while dave is more of a 3.5 imo).

I will say that I dont think you can get the chord sound elsewhere, so if you absolutely must have the cord sound, go dave, but other wise the dual is a very very good shout.
You obvious enjoy it a lot, but you obviously don't understand maths or engineering.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/totaldac-dac.553677/post-7465971

Given that it is a dac implemented as a R2R , a big constraint will be the resistor manufacturing tolerances.
Based on one of Robs posts, I think it will need resistors accurate to less than the width of an atom to ensure better accuracy than one of Robs dacs.

Enjoy it anyway.

Nov 18, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #23,174 of 25,867
You obvious enjoy it a lot, but you obviously don't understand maths or engineering.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/totaldac-dac.553677/post-7465971

Given that it is a dac implemented as a R2R , a big constraint will be the resistor manufacturing tolerances.
Based on one of Robs posts, I think it will need resistors accurate to less than the width of an atom to ensure better accuracy than one of Robs dacs.

Enjoy it anyway.
rofl. you sound like the kind of person who thinks an f40 is bad because its slower than a tesla. Id highly recommend you check out ASR if you want to complete write off stuff you havent heard because of an appeal to authority.

Nov 18, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #23,175 of 25,867
I don't need to test that DAC, to know that the maths of the engineering implementation will yield an answer which will be the opposite of what you claim.
I don't need to appeal to authority - maths, science and engineering will suffice for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back