CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Nov 17, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #23,150 of 25,867
If ever there was an Alien invasion, I think Hans would be the correct spokesperson for the Planet.... he could calm any entity down with that voice in an iota. And then... probably be able to sell them a DAVE... to keep things on thread...

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #23,152 of 25,867
Okay, so it would appear that the upsampling in the DAVE is superior to the Auralic. So given that I'm sending an upsampled signal to the DAVE as I have been doing because it states on the display USB 350 plus kHz on the DAVE would the DAVE not just make it slightly better and perhaps even upsample it higher?

Nov 17, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #23,153 of 25,867
Okay, so it would appear that the upsampling in the DAVE is superior to the Auralic. So given that I'm sending an upsampled signal to the DAVE as I have been doing because it states on the display USB 350 plus kHz on the DAVE would the DAVE not just make it slightly better and perhaps even upsample it higher?
The Dave Upsamples for the first WTA to 702khz for 44khz music files and 768khz for higher sampled files, the second WTA filter within the DAVE takes it even higher, this is needed to implement Noise shaper, which runs at over 100 megahertz, so yes don't Upsample anything, send it to the DAVE as intact as possible and let the DAVE Upsample.

Nov 17, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #23,154 of 25,867

As I understand, the advice from Rob Watts is to only feed the DAVE with native files, unless the DAVE is connected to the MScaler via the dual BNC inputs, his feeling is that any upsampling from a third party device degrades the sound quality.

Of course it's your preference that counts, it's your system so trust your ears.

Nov 17, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #23,156 of 25,867
My own experience with upsampling prior to the DAVE, albeit brief, is that although certain tonal characteristics can be affected, you tend to lose something in transparency.
Well I'm in the groove as far as discerning differences as I've just been assessing which DAC to buy.
One thing is for sure on the Auralic you can choose smooth, dynamic and two others. There is a difference in the sound between these more so with the DAVE.
It's only been about two hours of listening so far and I'm able to immediately cut the upsampling on the DS iPad thing and with my couple of 'go to' tracks I'm still really undecided there is certainly no change for the worse with female vocals or guitars so far even those with a fuzz box Jimi.

Nov 17, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #23,157 of 25,867
Well I'm in the groove as far as discerning differences as I've just been assessing which DAC to buy.
One thing is for sure on the Auralic you can choose smooth, dynamic and two others. There is a difference in the sound between these more so with the DAVE.
It's only been about two hours of listening so far and I'm able to immediately cut the upsampling on the DS iPad thing and with my couple of 'go to' tracks I'm still really undecided there is certainly no change for the worse with female vocals or guitars so far even those with a fuzz box Jimi.
Smooth, Dynamic, etc in the Filter mode is a little different from upsampling on an Auralic device. The Filters are relatively benign and Smooth is a popular option. I think the point that’s been made is that it might be best to have the quite separate upsampling option off and leave that to the Dave. Personally, I disable the resampler entirely on the Processor Setup tab for the Aries G2.1, but as with all things let your ears be the judge. If it sounds good to you, or you can’t hear a difference, then all is okay, but avoid quick A/B tests. Longer listening sessions are the best means of assessment.

Nov 17, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #23,158 of 25,867
Use the high frequency filter on the Dave too, i find that it smooths out the sound a bit

Nov 17, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #23,159 of 25,867

Be shure to also try using only a toslink out of your source with no other inputs connected to Dave..

Nov 17, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #23,160 of 25,867
Talking about the flabbergasting resolution powers of the DAVE ... Spatial reconstruction capabilities over headphones, especially with crossfeed active, are truly astounding on this beautiful recording :)

1668715321740.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back