CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Nov 16, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #23,132 of 25,860
I have an Aries G2.1 as a Roon endpoint, feeding an Innuos Phoenix USB reclocker, going into the Dave. Given that Dave’s onboard upsampling is likely to be superior I don’t engage any upsampling in either Roon or on the G2.1 - vanilla source all the way to the Dave. To my ears that results in greater transparency, at least in my setup using Meze Elite headphones which are pretty revealing.

Nov 16, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #23,133 of 25,860
I have an Aries G2.1 as a Roon endpoint, feeding an Innuos Phoenix USB reclocker, going into the Dave. Given that Dave’s onboard upsampling is likely to be superior I don’t engage any upsampling in either Roon or on the G2.1 - vanilla source all the way to the Dave. To my ears that results in greater transparency, at least in my setup using Meze Elite headphones which are pretty revealing.
Do you go through a USB connection into the DAVE?

Nov 16, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #23,138 of 25,860
DAVE is back after 4 years and warming up :)

IMG_2376 2.JPG

Nov 16, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #23,139 of 25,860
My understanding is that Dave upsamples through all its inputs, other than possibly the dual BNC inputs from an mscaler, which does the upsampling.
So would it be fair to assume that I'd be better off just feeding the DAVE the original 44kHz 16 bit material and letting the DAVE upsample that on it's way to the Pathos as the DAVE s has a superior upsampled to the Auralic?
I have messed around for hours with the Qutest trying to determine what is the better sound option.

Nov 16, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #23,142 of 25,860
Holy smokes. Don’t ever drop this amp on you foot… nice.
Edit: which Dac did you use in the interim?
Rockna Wavelight, Schiit Yggdrasil A2/Unison, iFi Pro iDSD Signature all for various amounts of time. :thumbsup:

Nov 17, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #23,144 of 25,860
So would it be fair to assume that I'd be better off just feeding the DAVE the original 44kHz 16 bit material and letting the DAVE upsample that on it's way to the Pathos as the DAVE s has a superior upsampled to the Auralic?
I have messed around for hours with the Qutest trying to determine what is the better sound option.
Hi again

The main reason for spending on the Dave is it's internal upsampling. It uses a custom designed, highly refined filter that aims to reproduce what Rob Watts has identified as key characteristics of sound reproduction with very high accuracy.There's a lot of material where Rob explains this so I won't try to replicate that here. Suffice it to say that if the sound Chord dacs appeals then it is best to just feed the Dave with non-upsampled material and let the dac do the work.It's the result of thousands of hours of refinement, which with the best will in the world, the Auralic can't hope to match.

Same probably goes for the Mola Mola dac. It internally upsamples everything to a high level also.

The Qutest is a good dac but for a number of technical differences (which reflect in the relative pricing) the Dave is capable of much better sound. Many people find all Chord dacs work better with optical or SPDIF input. The USB input is convenient but prone to noise which shows up as a sharpness in the sound which many people don't get along with and attribute it to the dac being "bright" or "thin" sounding, which is definitely isn't the case.

Nov 17, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #23,145 of 25,860
Hi again

The main reason for spending on the Dave is it's internal upsampling. It uses a custom designed, highly refined filter that aims to reproduce what Rob Watts has identified as key characteristics of sound reproduction with very high accuracy.There's a lot of material where Rob explains this so I won't try to replicate that here. Suffice it to say that if the sound Chord dacs appeals then it is best to just feed the Dave with non-upsampled material and let the dac do the work.It's the result of thousands of hours of refinement, which with the best will in the world, the Auralic can't hope to match.

Same probably goes for the Mola Mola dac. It internally upsamples everything to a high level also.

The Qutest is a good dac but for a number of technical differences (which reflect in the relative pricing) the Dave is capable of much better sound. Many people find all Chord dacs work better with optical or SPDIF input. The USB input is convenient but prone to noise which shows up as a sharpness in the sound which many people don't get along with and attribute it to the dac being "bright" or "thin" sounding, which is definitely isn't the case.
Thanks again for your helpful advice. I have been trying the DAVE and the Mola Mola with the basic setting on the Auralic. Once I decide on what one I will buy I will need to sit down and have a good re-listen because up to the other day I'd been feeding both with the upsampled signal from the Auralic and really enjoying it.
I can't honestly say that on the few 'go-to' tracks I always use I do not notice any difference between the upsampled Auralic content and the non upsampled content going into either but I'm always open to ideas.
One thing is obvious though the DAVE seems to be able to put the music content into more defined 'packets' in the overall mix, and these packets within the content whether they are a drum or guitar just seem to be more detailed. I don't want to raise the old cliche but I am hearing very small details that were obviously always there but seem to be more obvious now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back